Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming Round 2 Announcements - MPC Shelby Daytona and "Mach Won" Funny Car

Justin Porter

19 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I'm actually more excited about the Shelby Charger!

I have an original built one around here somewhere. I am going to wait for the eBay "kit breakers" to get ahold of one and pick up a decal sheet so I can give it an overhaul. Or buy a sheet from Round2 if/when they have them available. My original is a clean build, but it is Testor Silver with Glosscote, so it has become green over the years.

• Like 2

I’d like to see the original AMT ‘70 Mustang body cloned so we can have a stock ‘70 Mustang again.  Or, if they can possibly repair the FC mold to stock specs.  I’m glad to see the Shelby back.  Maybe the Dodge Daytona won’t be too far behind.  Those were pretty good kits by MPC.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, mikos said:

I’d like to see the original AMT ‘70 Mustang body cloned so we can have a stock ‘70 Mustang again.  Or, if they can possibly repair the FC mold to stock specs.  I’m glad to see the Shelby back.  Maybe the Dodge Daytona won’t be too far behind.  Those were pretty good kits by MPC.

Mach Won body has all stock Mach 1 trim, same as the annual kit, and also came with stock bumpers.  The grille filler shown on the box was an option.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, gasman said:

Looking forward to the Shelby Charger as well. I have one of the original issues, but the decals even when that kit was new were terrible. Hopefully Round 2 will make an all new decal sheet for it 

It would be cool if they included the GLHS wheels/tires and decals as well!

11 minutes ago, Mark said:

Mach Won body has all stock Mach 1 trim, same as the annual kit, and also came with stock bumpers.  The grille filler shown on the box was an option.

Mark is exactly correct here.  One interesting tidbit is that AMT's 1970 Mustang annual kit tooling has a non-factory engraving treatment on the upper rear quarters below the quarter windows (wher the ersatz fake scoops were on the 1969 Sportsroof; this carried over to the Mach One kit too.  TB  

• Like 1

This is fantastic news.  I had that Mach Won kit as a kid and have tried for years to get another one.  They would pop up occasionally on Ebay but usually went for around $170.00, which was not an option for me.  Can't wait to see it hit the shelves.  

So it is your fault we're getting a new one :)

On 9/8/2023 at 4:30 PM, afx said:

Yes it is the same kit. Packaged twice as the funny car using the annual body.

https://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/100077-69-mustangs/

Visual evidence from comparing the original AMT '69 and '70 bodies seem to indicate the '69 body mold was modified into the '70 Mach 1 and then the body used on both funny car reissues as well, taking it's use into the early '70s. Looks like they didn't scrap the mold after all ! 

The longnose '69 body appears to be a separate mold, making use of some of the original '69 trim pieces.

And Steve G pulls off another major hit  B)

Edited by mk11
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark said:

That’s great!  With a little kit bashing, one could make a fairly close stock ‘70 Mustang Mach 1.

6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Interesting...I built long ago the Monogram Shelby Charger, never built any of the MPC ones.   I have a built and restorable stock AMT '70 Mach 1, this drag version sounds interesting.. 

It looks like the Monogram version was a light detail snap kit vs the full detail MPC kit. Interestingly though, Monogram did also have a snap kit of the 80s Daytona as well, would be cool to see that!

5 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

It looks like the Monogram version was a light detail snap kit vs the full detail MPC kit. Interestingly though, Monogram did also have a snap kit of the 80s Daytona as well, would be cool to see that!

I built the Monogram Daytona also, still have both in good shape.   At the time as a kid I preferred Monogram kits over MPC...

15 hours ago, mk11 said:

So it is your fault we're getting a new one :)

Yes it is the same kit. Packaged twice as the funny car using the annual body.

Visual evidence from comparing the original AMT '69 and '70 bodies seem to indicate the '69 body mold was modified into the '70 Mach 1 and then the body used on both funny car reissues as well, taking it's use into the early '70s. Looks like they didn't scrap the mold after all ! 

The longnose '69 body appears to be a separate mold, making use of some of the original '69 trim pieces.

And Steve G pulls off another major hit  B)

AMT '69 and '70 Mustangs were entirely different kits; body, chassis, everything.  The '69 body probably got reworked into the longnose as that body uses the '69 stock trim pieces.  Both it and the Mach Won were both available at the same time for at least one year, so each would have had its own body.

On 9/9/2023 at 9:24 AM, Mark said:

AMT '69 and '70 Mustangs were entirely different kits; body, chassis, everything.  The '69 body probably got reworked into the longnose as that body uses the '69 stock trim pieces.  Both it and the Mach Won were both available at the same time for at least one year, so each would have had its own body.

In view of respectfully disagreeing with the 'entirely different... everything' descriptors, I will lay out some pictures for the jury's entertainment  ^_^

First, I will agree that the chassis, front and rear body trim, wheels, engine, and some outer body shell  trim details are entirely new to the '70, but these kits do share at a minimum interiors, hoods, rad support, firewall and glass.

'69 and '70 body shells compared:

6970amtmstbdys.jpg.57b858c8cc496d1ccccea8c32eea78b3.jpg

The fact that the body shell exterior mid-section and interior parting lines and marks are very close to identical on these two bodies is what leads me to believe that the '69 body mold became the '70. I'm guessing the real answer will remain shrouded in the mists of time. Be nice to have someone take inside pics of the longnose body for comparison. 

And one more thing...  a close look at the nose profiles reveals a vestigial bit of the '69 headlight door curve remains at the bottom of the '70 nose. The '70 front angle is also slightly off; it should match the side marker light. Throws the front appearance off a wee bit.

Parts '69

69amtmstprts.jpg.b0047456d0b0ae4bde8ec3a994e4e1b1.jpg

Parts '70 

70amtmstprts.jpg.d60eda11476b74cf2f5a7a623be7329a.jpg

Edited by mk11
  • Like 2