Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1961 Ford Galaxie hardtop, any news?

PintoKING

10 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

I'll throw in my 2 cents and say that my top preference would be a '62 hardtop, but I wouldn't complain about a '67 hardtop or a '61 Starliner either.  (Apparently no love for the '68 in this thread?)

I’m with you all the way on a 62 galaxie hardtop or sedan would be most welcome However it should be a full kit with the same engine chassis detail that comes with the custom version of the 60 star liner . Add a pair of pie curst slicks tube headers. They should package it in the same type of box art as the super stock kits like the Dyno don belair , and decals the likes of Phil Bonner , jake king , or Tasca , or others.  This would be a great selling kit opportunity round 2 . I know I’d be in for a dozen 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

BTW How do you guys feel about the '68? 

I would much prefer the ‘68 as a model subject. The ‘67 design is very similar to the ‘65 and ‘66. I consider the ‘66 to be the most resolved and successful design of that sequence. 

On 11/17/2023 at 4:34 PM, Mark said:

The '61 Sunliner and Starliner were variations on the same tool; a couple of inserts got changed and the convertible became a hardtop. 

I forgot to mention that. I assumed most people would take that as a given, but then again, not everyone knows how AMT did things then, so that was a bum assumption. 

That Starliner kit can be used under many '61, '62, '63, '64 Fords and Mercs.

First fit the underhood stuff, cut the floor out of the interior and use the Starliner chassis.

You can also "harvest" the door pulls and window cranks!

You'll end up with 3 main components, the Starliner frame, floor pan, and your body of choice!

Adds nice detail to some simple kits!

Cheers!

P1000296A.jpg

P1000279.JPG

111.JPG

P1000520AJPG.JPG

P1000436 (Large).JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

P1010258 (Large).JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 9:22 AM, SteveG said:

AMT originally made three different Full size 1961 Ford kits, a Sunliner Convertible, Starliner Hardtop, both with engines and the curbside Club Victoria we still have today.  I believe the first two were updated with the next round of annual kits into the 1962 Galaxies.  The Starliner is the hardest one to find.  

I don't see us modifying the '61 Club Victoria kit into an opening hood with engine kit, the pending release is unchanged parts wise.  On paper, we could modify the '60 Starliner into a '61 carrying over a lot of parts, but as pointed out modifying the Mueller era kits are difficult. 

It would be easier to clone one of the annual Ford kits we no longer have, but which one?   The '67 seems to have the most requests, I like the '62 annual, and the '61 Starliner is pretty cool.  I may only get one shot at bringing back a full-size Ford kit in the future, so I'm going to have to give this further thought. 

-Steve

I vote all!!! The '67 tops the list and could easily use the '66 chassis.

I believe the '68 needs to be in there also!!!!

The '61 Starliner and '62 hardtop would be great as styline kits but money-wise use the '63 chassis plate so the hoods can be opened and engines installed. Include the '63 firewall though.

Now, saying that, all the underpinnings of the '60 work on the '61 and '62 also.

Being able to build every full size Ford from '60-'69 would be nice. 

Edited by Sledsel
  • Like 1

Unfortunately the rear window and tulip panel are different from '60 to '61. It could be done but would require some scratch building. Jimmy Fintstone has the '61 Starliner with vacuum formed windows so all you need is the current kit for a basic build, just needs a bit of adjustment on the rear package tray.

1960-ford-galaxie-starliner.jpeg

1961-Ford-Galaxie-Sunliner-1-e1618790102154-630x390.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, sfhess said:

The 60 Starliner roof is too wide.

My thought was that since they are from the same, AMT, company and supposed to be the same scale they would fit. I'm sure there would be some adjustments. I did a roof swap between the hardtop from the old '57 Ford AMT kit and the much newer Revell '57 Ford two door sedan to make a low line '57 Ford hardtop. While the width wasn't thew problem so much as the hardtop having a flatter crown in the roof than the sedan, but it worked out. 

DSCN0880.JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Unfortunately the rear window and tulip panel are different from '60 to '61. It could be done but would require some scratch building. Jimmy Fintstone has the '61 Starliner with vacuum formed windows so all you need is the current kit for a basic build, just needs a bit of adjustment on the rear package tray.

1960-ford-galaxie-starliner.jpeg

1961-Ford-Galaxie-Sunliner-1-e1618790102154-630x390.jpg

Good point on the rear window shape. From the pictures it looks like the roof it's self would fit with a homemade rear window. The rear window from the '60 AMT Ford may work with some sanding along the bottom to make it flat. Might depend on how brave you are at that sort of thing. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2023 at 6:54 PM, M W Elky said:

I’m with you all the way on a 62 galaxie hardtop or sedan would be most welcome However it should be a full kit with the same engine chassis detail that comes with the custom version of the 60 star liner . Add a pair of pie curst slicks tube headers. They should package it in the same type of box art as the super stock kits like the Dyno don belair , and decals the likes of Phil Bonner , jake king , or Tasca , or others.  This would be a great selling kit opportunity round 2 . I know I’d be in for a dozen 

Ho boy I am all in for a 62 and 67 I'm good for 4 each to start.!!!!

On 11/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, fairlane1320 said:

'61 Starliner please! 🏁

image.jpg.83400e60f9790062574a0e718ab5bcc9.jpg

I owned a '61 Starliner the same color back in 1970-71. I traded it to a friend for a '54 Buick because the transmission was slipping. He had it a couple of months & the trans. went. He lived out in the country on a couple hundred acre farm & poured gas on it & fried it. I wish I had it to fix now. You don't think about in the future it'll be rare & worth a lot of money.😩

Edited by forthlin
Changed wording

On 11/17/2023 at 9:22 AM, SteveG said:

AMT originally made three different Full size 1961 Ford kits, a Sunliner Convertible, Starliner Hardtop, both with engines and the curbside Club Victoria we still have today.  I believe the first two were updated with the next round of annual kits into the 1962 Galaxies.  The Starliner is the hardest one to find.  

I don't see us modifying the '61 Club Victoria kit into an opening hood with engine kit, the pending release is unchanged parts wise.  On paper, we could modify the '60 Starliner into a '61 carrying over a lot of parts, but as pointed out modifying the Mueller era kits are difficult. 

It would be easier to clone one of the annual Ford kits we no longer have, but which one?   The '67 seems to have the most requests, I like the '62 annual, and the '61 Starliner is pretty cool.  I may only get one shot at bringing back a full-size Ford kit in the future, so I'm going to have to give this further thought. 

-Steve

Most definetly look into doing the 67 Galaxie hardtop kit.  It is a highly requested kit.  AMTGalaxiekitversions-Copy.jpg.ad044075803af41830c20b6953515bb0.jpgAMT1967Galaxiekit.jpg.be8a44b8363f78d7bf26c001b785849e.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GMP440 said:

Most definetly look into doing the 67 Galaxie hardtop kit.  It is a highly requested kit.  AMTGalaxiekitversions-Copy.jpg.ad044075803af41830c20b6953515bb0.jpg

I want to build that gold custom. 

I've even seriously thought about getting one of the cheap resin copies and a set of the original custom parts to do it.

That car just looks SOooo cool to me. 😎

I'd also add that I don't buy that George Bareass did the customising on that car for a minute. Too clean.  That looks more like something that Winfield or the Alexander Bros. would do.

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 1