Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

Maindrian Pace

Every year, our local model car club, Moonlight Modelers, has ten themes per year that you can build a car for to compete for a plaque. The themes are chosen by the members and voted on for inclusion. Last year, I chose Cadillac as a theme, and thought to myself that if that theme gets chosen for this year's schedule, I'll build this car that has been in the works for a long time now. After all, if your theme gets chosen, you have to build the car, right?

This is the Johan USA Oldies '64 DeVille convertible kit converted to an Eldorado with several body and trim modifications, aftermarket parts, and the wheels and tires from a Monogram Corvette America 4 door Corvette kit with whitewall decals from Pegasus Hobbies. The color is Cadillac Firemist Red, achieved with two coats of Tamiya metallic red followed by two coats of Tamiya clear red, cut and buffed with a Micro Mesh polishing kit. The up-top is from the Monogram '59 Cadillac convertible, modified to fit the '64.

IMG_2258.jpeg.fc8e2ee1b0ea17f20f8f8368e3de8236.jpeg

IMG_2256.jpeg.81fc082390a5ebce9a5dcd610cc43bdb.jpeg

IMG_2259.thumb.jpeg.f3661890fb18b94caa6c0a66cf4714f5.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg.23c2742e5d41db16e427e6477221c05d.jpeg

IMG_2270.thumb.jpeg.32246f22f1b021c3be22f2b8b4bfaa37.jpeg

Several parts were used from the Model Car Garage photoetch set for the '59, including these separate letters for the front fenders. Easily the most nerve-wracking thing I've ever had to do on a model.

1228738253_IMG_22392.thumb.jpeg.7a014209a2494b87511eca953f59b4d5.jpeg

I wanted modern power, so I got a resin 3D printed LSA 6.2 supercharged LS engine from an ebay seller, Jay's Resin Wheels. The engine was all one piece, but didn't include the transmission, exhaust manifolds, or belt drive. I used a belt drive from a '97 Mustang Cobra 4.6 with photoetch pulley faces, parts box 302 manifolds from a Monogram F-150, sanded and smoothed to look like LS manifolds, and the original kit TH-400 transmission. 3D printing is positively mental these days, you can look under the engine cover and see the valve covers and coil packs, and the intake is probably in there somewhere too, despite it all being one piece. I made the air intake and radiator hose from heat bent sprue (or runner, if you want to be industry-accurate) used a '95 Mustang radiator and electric fan, and plumbed the A/C system. Unfortunately, the compressor is at the bottom, so it's hard to see it unless you look underneath. I cut the right screw post out, but shortened the left screw post and repurposed it as an overflow tank. A parts box Delco battery, dual master cylinder, and dual horns from a '63 Galaxie kit round out the engine bay.

IMG_2250.thumb.jpeg.c54042173d0dfd0374cc79c6e23b583d.jpeg

The interior is mostly kit-supplied, but has resin correct '64 bucket seats from Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland. All of the USA Oldies issue '64 Cadillacs have '67 front seats, because Johan. Since I was using an up-top and a boot, I wanted a top well detail, so I cut the well out of a Monogram '91-ish Mustang convertible tub and spliced it into the Cadillac tub. The kit didn't come with pedals, shifter, or turn signal handles, so those all came from the parts stash. Gauge decals were used, wood tone decal film was used on the dash, console, and door panels, and the carpet is black embossing powder. The interior and boot are painted Tamiya semi gloss black and Racing white, an off-white color, while the up-top is painted Mr Hobby Mr. Base White, more of a pure white. Chrome detail is both BMF and Molotow ink.

IMG_2243.thumb.jpeg.e59db9bc2387ffdab66d7b7870f9c33f.jpeg

IMG_2240.thumb.jpeg.4e88aba99a13ae85b5b26afe1f25d58b.jpeg

IMG_2279.thumb.jpeg.7a61fc2655df79948cb3fc3b0bde0f8d.jpeg

Outdoor shots show the actual color of the paint. IMG_2275.thumb.jpeg.b68abb48e7e1ad0342f86e212f4a947e.jpeg

IMG_2276.thumb.jpeg.0b598a18a122d5cbb49f05743ac509a4.jpeg

Not all of the emblems are correct - the hood, trunk, and 1/4 panel emblems should be the Fleetwood wreath and crest design; I foil cast a hubcap emblem for the hood and used the '59 wheel centers on the 1/4s. These are held on by white glue, so they are removable if/when the proper photoetch emblems become available. I did leave the V emblem on the trunk as a nod to the CTS-V engine. This was a 28 day build, and it was completed just in time for the club meeting.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

Just gorgeous Mike. Absolute treat for the eyes.

Thank you all very much, it is much appreciated.

5 hours ago, HomerS said:

That is awesome!!  Huge fan of the old Cadillacs

5 hours ago, Jeffcad said:

Wow ! What a beauty !!!. And I am so happy to finally see someone else than me doing this specific Eldorado. You did a wonderful job, the letters for the fenders are amazing too. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Thank you Jean-Philippe, I have admired your Cadillac builds for some time now, and I referred to your great Eldorado several times for pointers while I was building this one. I'm still trying to figure out what you used for those fine vertical lines on the rear grille!

4 hours ago, Sonorandog said:

Beautiful, looks great.

4 hours ago, AMT68 said:

Absolutely stunning overall. The wood tone decals add a very nice touch to the interior. 

3 hours ago, 6bblbird said:

I wish that I had more hands so that I could give you more than two thumbs up!

Wait a second........

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

3 hours ago, Perspective Customs said:

Gorgeous 

3 hours ago, Jim B said:

Beautiful Cadillac.  Really well done.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That’s beautiful!!

Steve

2 hours ago, Zippi said:

That's a Looker right there.  Nice build on the 64 Caddy.

2 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

That is one fine Cadillac.

1 hour ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Looks great

47 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

What a really nice build!!!