Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford Vicky with Custom Trailer

Jim Whalen

I have been - very slowly - building up a collection of '32 Fords.  Each is, or will be, a different build style, colour, engine, and body type.  It is always amazing to see how many ways the '32 Ford can be built, both as real cars and models.  My latest addition to my collection is a Vicky with a custom trailer (made from the rear portion of a Revell 5-window body, with a scratch-built frame and interior, and modified parts (e.g., converting a rear axle into one that was appropriate for a trailer)).  The Vicky body used is a Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland offering that I bought from a fellow modeller quite a few years ago (unfortunately no longer available) in preference to the AMT bodies which are sectioned.  The colour scheme is Porsche Basalt Black and Porsche Guards Red.  I entered it in the Hot Rod and Custom Car class at Scale Model World in Telford last November and was lucky enough to win gold against some very well done models.

32 Custom Trailer Parts.JPG

32 Vicky engine.JPG

32 Vicky Interior Pic2.JPG

Completed Vicky Pic1.JPG

Completed Vicky Pic2.JPG

Completd Vicky Pic4.JPG

• Like 9

Really nice build! Cool to see this because I’ve been planning on my head how to build a Revell based 32 Vicky. The R&M body is cool!  I’m currently building a Revell based Phaeton with the back half of an AMT body grafted on.

Beautiful Vicky and trailer. Very nice, neat and clean build. The color choicem is excellent and I like the wide whites, steelies and caps. Well done engine too. Congrats on winning Gold, it's well deserved.

15 hours ago, Dan Hay said:

Really nice build! Cool to see this because I’ve been planning on my head how to build a Revell based 32 Vicky. The R&M body is cool!  I’m currently building a Revell based Phaeton with the back half of an AMT body grafted on.

Thanks!  I like your idea of grafting the back of a AMT Phaeton body onto a Revell kit.  I'm planning to do a Phaeton and I was planning to use an AMT body and convert it to the right height but I think your idea will work better.  The AMT bodies are also narrower and the R&M body is based on the AMT one so I had to narrow the '40 Ford dashboard that I took from a Revell '32 5-window kit.  As I wasn't going to put a bonnet on the model I didn't need to worry about the dimensions of it.

15 hours ago, espo said:

I can see why you won the Gold. Beautiful looking paint finishes and colors. Great looking trailer.  

Thanks - the Porsche Basalt black is a metallic colour with blue flakes in it, unfortunately it doesn't really show in the pictures.  The design of the trailer evolved once I had cut the back off a 5-window body.

14 hours ago, Nacho Z said:

A beautiful model for sure!

Thanks!  There are things that could have been done better but I am happy with the overall outcome; it has the look that I had in my head at the start of the project.

14 hours ago, Camaro lover said:

Looks beautiful. the colors are perfect.

Thanks - I'm pleased with the contrast between the metallic black, red and white on the tyres.

13 hours ago, karbuildr said:

Beautiful Vicky and trailer. Very nice, neat and clean build. The color choicem is excellent and I like the wide whites, steelies and caps. Well done engine too. Congrats on winning Gold, it's well deserved.

Thanks!  The wide whites and tyres are from R&M (as are the tyre valve stems) and the wheels and caps are from the Revell 5-window kit.  The engine is the Cadillac unit from the Revell '49 Mercury and has been modified and detailed.

12 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Outstanding!!

Thanks!  In 2013 I had won Gold in the same class with a '32 Ford Cabriolet (the fiftieth anniversary of the IPMS) and I was hoping the repeat the feat ten years later with another '32 Ford. 

12 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Excellent work! Gold award indeed!!

Thanks!  It is nice to know that others like the model and to receive an award.

11 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

That is one gorgeous Vicky. Congratulations on an excellent build.

Thanks!  It is nice to finally have it done - I did most of the fabrication work on the model during the Covid lockdowns.

11 hours ago, carrucha said:

Neat combo.  Nice engine detailing.

Thanks!  A street rod needs a nice engine - among other changes I modified the intake manifold to accept two four-barrel carbs.

2 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Awesome!

Thanks!

46 minutes ago, 1hobby1 said:

Beautiful 32’ Ford.

Thanks!  Ford sure hit the ball out of the park when they designed the '32.

• Like 1

That's a Looker right there for sure Doc.  Just love the old fat fender cars.  That Porsche Basalt Black is really eye catching.  Congrats on the win.  Very well desirved.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Beautifully done Dr. Jim!

Thanks!  I've started work on an AMT '36 Ford and it will take a lot of work to get to the same standard as I have achieved with this build.

5 hours ago, David G. said:

Paint, detail and construction all look perfect, what a beautiful build!

David G.

Thanks!  I'm happy with how this one has come out, but looking around on here, at shows, and in magazines, etc. I know I have a lot to learn yet.

5 hours ago, Zippi said:

That's a Looker right there for sure Doc.  Just love the old fat fender cars.  That Porsche Basalt Black is really eye catching.  Congrats on the win.  Very well desirved.

I prefer the fenders on the cars as well - especially so on the '33 and '34 Fords, I don't think they get away without the fenders as well as the Model As and '32s do.

5 hours ago, TooOld said:

Absolutely gorgeous Vicky Jim , and the trailer is icing on the cake !  Congrats !

Thanks!  As the Vicky has no boot, a trailer would be useful for a family going on a trip somewhere.  I tried to make the trailer look like the back of a '32 as much as possible for someone following behind - hence the fuel tank.

4 hours ago, James2 said:

Stunning rendition, well done, nicely detailed and clean. Just how a model should be. Well done...

Thanks!  One of the things I like most about building street rods is coming up with something unique.  It is also great to see what other people come up with.  One of my friends did a replica of a '32 drag car that is well known over here recently.

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Awesome combo.

Thanks!  It is the first time I have done a partly scratch-built trailer and it turned out to be one of the enjoyable parts of the project.

2 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Great work! Very nice engine and a cool trailer!

Thanks!  One of the reasons I did the build without the bonnet was to display the engine.  When I was scratch-building the tow bar for the trailer I used a piece from the Monogram T street rod and trailer kit to get the right length for it.

43 minutes ago, Hi-Po said:

Very impressive and a well deserved award.

Thanks!  It is always nice to get some recognition for your work, but is is important to accept the judges' decisions when things don't go your way.  There are far more important things to worry about in life than not getting an award you think that you should have.  I have seen some model builders make themselves look a bit silly when they complain about being robbed.

Edited by Jim Whalen
Replying to quotes.

1 minute ago, 70 Sting said:

Outstanding. 👌

Thanks Harry!  I try to improve, and to do something new, with every build that I do.  There are a few things on this build I will be looking at doing better the next time I build a model.