Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do you hold your engine for wiring?

Try using one of those suction mount bench vises- you can insert a round toothpick into the driveshaft end of the transmission and secure the other end in the vise to hold the engine. That leaves two hands for doing the wiring and other detailing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Nasty said:

Clasp the transmission with a clothes pin.

I have done this and it works well. I often paint the transmissions (silver) late in the builds, so that happens after my wiring is done.

• Like 3

It's rarely an issue, but for doing things like fiddly little throttle linkages and springs that may require two hands, those infinitely positionable vises work very well.

On the other hand, if you don't want to spend 40 bucks for one, these old kit-sourced engine stands work very well too.

Put a no-tip metal or styrene base on one, then glue the engine to it with easily removable PVA.

Or tape the stand to the bench so it doesn't move around.

image.png.6686853646fb2332e33e0db633f0f24e.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

7 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's rarely an issue, but for doing things like fiddly little throttle linkages and springs that may require two hands, those infinitely positionable vises work very well.

On the other hand, if you don't want to spend 40 bucks for one, these old kit-sourced engine stands work very well too.

Put a no-tip metal or styrene base on one, then glue the engine to it with easily removable PVA.

Or tape the stand to the bench so it doesn't move around.

image.png.6686853646fb2332e33e0db633f0f24e.png

My problem is that when I'm working on small details such as linkages, plug wires, etc. I have to get the assembly as close to the magnifier as possible so that I can really see what I'm doing.

If I taped a stand to me bench, I'd have to put a chin rest on the edge of it, and my back would look and feel like a pretzel after a few minutes.

I guess I've just learned how to manage with one hand holding the assembly, and the other manipulating the parts.

Short of holding the engine in my teeth, I really can't think of a way to do it any other way. :D

Steve

I use a Helping Hand base with a single alligator clip.  I then use a wood clothes pin to cradle the transmission.  I will attach the clothes pin to the alligator clip.  This allows me to rotate/adjust the engine as necessary for detailing.  I then paint the trans.  For engines with transmissions (rear transaxles), I will use a bamboo skewer and insert into a hole with white glue (so I can break the bond and clean it up).  If the torque tube is attached to the engine (think C5-C6 vettes) the clothes pin will grasp that.

Some excellent tips in this thread. Thanks to those who contributed. As someone who, in the last couple of years, has developed pretty serious arthritis in both hands, some of these tips very well might help me continue to wire my engines.

I was given a Panavise without the base. I was later given a solid disc of solid stainless steel. I TIG welded a stainless hex bolt to the center. I married the two freebies. I now have a 6-1/2 pound vise that actually HOLDS STILL when working on something. Its portability lets me position it on the bench wherever I need it to be. AND... the kitty cannot run off with whatever is clamped in it. 😄

IMG_3397.JPG

Plastic bench vise, got it off of eBay some time ago, lightly clamp down on the transmission or oil pan and wire away.

Looks pretty darn similar to the one in the eBay auction here, they have gone up in price since I bought a couple of them. They work great for holding stuff while you are carving it up with the Dremel, I use one for wood carving with my Dremel.  They are a whole lot stronger than they look, non-marring.  If you choose to get one make sure you get the one with the four threaded posts, they hold round stuff like rims and stuff.  They are great for brush painting and detailing as well.    I'll just give the link, don't want to steal someone's eBay auction pics. 

Little Plastic Vice     Clamp Table Jaw Drill Press Vice Opening for Jewelry | eBay

Edited by Skip
Fixed the link that didn't work!

Great ideas here, thanks for sharing.

I have one of these...

sq10257-squadron-tools-mini-bench-vise-squadron-model-models__17507.jpg.34b38c1a19f5b57a58e7adb99a3db2b7.jpg

Which leads to this...

23 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I'd have to put a chin rest on the edge of it, and my back would look and feel like a pretzel after a few minutes.

I made this up years ago from some scrap brass I had and a clothes peg. It has served me well. Also like Steve G I hand hold the engine if I have to, to get the detailing done

Also great a display holder for the engine of the kit you are working on as in the pix showing off Dodge hemi and wedge motors

image.thumb.jpeg.777b88e193a18b4ada7e8e856df2076d.jpeg