Model Cars Magazine Forum

Baja Buggy

espo

This is a close representation of a '67 Type 1 made into a Baja style I owned in the seventies.  The base kit is the Revell '68 Type 1, an excellent kit. I used parts from Texas 3D Customs on the body. These are also excellent parts. The parts from Texas 3D are the front hood and nose with headlights, and the rear engine cover also. Modified the kits fenders, the rears are reshaped to represent the way they were on my Baja. Tamiya TS-26 Pure White for the body. The interior uses various shades of flat and semi-gloss Black for the vinyl seats and door panels. The engine was modified with a homemade intake manifold to represent the Holly "Bug Spray" set up of the day along with a K&N Air Filter. Wired the kits distributor and made the exhaust from some black wire. The Buggy Bars on the front and rear are made of Plastruct #90861 3.2 mm plastic tubing. The windows are tinted with Tamiya TS-71 Smoke.  This vehicle roamed the sand dunes at Pismo Beach Ca. on many weekends and the 10x15 rear flotation tires never let me down in the soft sand parts. 

IMG_1752 (2).jpg

IMG_1753 (2).jpg

IMG_1993 (2).jpg

IMG_1994 (2).jpg

IMG_2110 (2).jpg

IMG_2109 (2).jpg

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

• Like 18

Nice build, it's a bit strange that Tamiya hasn't released a 1/24 kit like that themselves as they have released both 1/32 toy and 1/12(?) RC Baja buggies that have very nice shapes.

11 hours ago, Ulf said:

Nice build, it's a bit strange that Tamiya hasn't released a 1/24 kit like that themselves as they have released both 1/32 toy and 1/12(?) RC Baja buggies that have very nice shapes.

Revell offered a Baja style kit some time ago. The front hood is replaced with what would be a fabric cover of some sort and the fenders are all chopped. That kit is where I found the rear tires for this build. Plan on dueing the Revell kit maybe this year. 

On 1/22/2024 at 2:45 AM, XYHARRY said:

Cool replica of your original 1:1 there David, really well done. 

Cheers, 

David. M. 😎👍

Thank you, David. I have built a few models of past vehicles I have owned, and this one had a lot of fun memories for me. 

• Like 1

Very nice replica David. Fond memories while you built it I’m sure. Did you print your own license plate decal or order that from somewhere? I’m working on a replica now and plan on ordering some decals from STS, but curious what you did. 

Steve

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2024 at 1:29 PM, espo said:

Revell offered a Baja style kit some time ago. The front hood is replaced with what would be a fabric cover of some sort and the fenders are all chopped. That kit is where I found the rear tires for this build. Plan on dueing the Revell kit maybe this year. 

Great Build!

You answered my question about the tires, too.

• Thanks 1

On 1/26/2024 at 8:55 AM, crazyjim said:

Very cool bug. I've had a couple of baja bugs and loved them.

They are an inexpensive, relatively speaking, way to have a lot of fun off road and still have something that is usable every day. At the time I lived near areas that had sand dunes along the ocean and some Forest Service Fire Roads that were open during the off-fire season. Now the nearest Off Road Park is a good 2-hour drive and is primarily for four-wheel drive vehicles. This would be a good kit to base a build of your own Bajas and the Texas 3D Customs offers a couple of good body conversion kits to work with.