Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Olds 442 W30 (replica of my brother in law’s car)

Steve H

Hi Folks, time to get another build going. 

I am building a replica of my brother in law’s (Wayne) 71 Olds 442 W30 as a gift for him. He is my wife’s, sister’s,  husband. As you will see in a moment, it’s a spectacular, fully restored beautiful car, no nut or bolt left untouched. I’m doing this build for a few reasons, so I’d like to quickly share that as some backstory to the build. First, I really like the Olds 442’s, (all years), absolutely gorgeous cars with beautiful lines. Second, Wayne was nice enough to take me, along with a few of his friends to Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale back in 2018. It was my first Barrett Jackson and a very memorable trip.
The third reason was extremely memorable. In the summer of 2022, the band “The Lumineers” did a charity concert here in little Victoria BC Canada, literally 5mins from my home. It was an invitation only deal that was kept very quiet,(only about 350 tickets I believe), and few people knew about it. Wayne’s company had done a considerable amount of work for the charity raising money, and got my wife and I tickets for the event. We are HUGE fans of the Lumineers, so needless to say we were absolutely thrilled and it was a fantastic evening. 

So this is being done as a small token of appreciation for Wayne. I’m doing this as a surprise, it was originally going to be his Christmas gift but that obviously didn’t happen… I will share the link to this thread once it’s complete, and he has the model in hand,  so he can see how it came together. Anyone that has followed my builds knows I’m normally kit bashing, this will be a little different. It will be MOSTLY “box stock”, but I already see changes that I will need to make for the replica. I guess I can actually follow the kit instructions 🤷🏻‍♂️😜 Haven’t done that for years!!
I have been slowly getting a start at this over the last few weeks. So far mostly figuring out what needs modifying, and just how much detail I will add, and where. This will be a fun build, and I’m looking forward to sharing the journey with you.

So here we go, the kit I am starting with…

IMG_8943.thumb.jpeg.0616bea7a3bcd80fc8a8c14c4f49ae20.jpeg

Wayne’s car…

IMG_8542.thumb.jpeg.96888c0b0d4fb24afa6c141fd252e05c.jpeg

228.jpeg.041ebaf7339d86c4e044f6dda08b9f44.jpeg

I will share more photos of this spectacular car as the WIP progresses. Wait til you see the undercarriage of this thing!! 

My plan is to do a reasonably accurate replica of the car. With it not being a kit bash project, I plan on spending a bit more time on some of the little details. So the whole “box stock” thing, well we’ll see where we end up. At first glance I know I need to eliminate the kits A/C and add an 8 track player. Yep… he has a factory 8 track in there! More on that later in the thread.

I didn’t have a suitable pulley set to replace the kit piece, so I modified the one from the kit. 
Before…

IMG_8969.thumb.jpeg.10b2ecc616dfc8df0961e97416e4193d.jpeg

during..IMG_8976.thumb.jpeg.09de734a5369cb83c401819ab3c5c9f2.jpeg

after..IMG_8984.thumb.jpeg.b5ad794de03a297a8a391ccc4906ab7c.jpeg

Here is a couple of photos of the engine. I took a bunch of photos last summer at a local car show. I was trying to get some under hood detail shots for this build. Again, you will see a few more photos as we progress.

IMG_8536.thumb.jpeg.17387bf14273ace60e034618deb418a9.jpeg

IMG_8544.thumb.jpeg.ed8370a51e419d22a62f932b077f0dd3.jpeg

One of the biggest flaws I found in the kit so far is that there was no thermostat housing on the manifold. There is an oversized hole to drop the rad hose in, and it definitely needed some attention. So I scratch built a thermostat housing, I will deal with the rad hose later in the build. I’m not going to get TOO carried away with details, but there are several things I will definitely be doing. Ignition wires, fuel line, heater hoses, and the breather hoses to the air cleaner, battery cables, probably brake lines, but they may “terminate” out of site under the chassis rather than full brake lines. Here’s what I have so far… I made larger breather caps for the valve covers as the kit pieces that were molded on seemed much too small. The transmission and manifold are painted using a “recipe” that Dennis Lacy shared with me a few years ago. Tamiya silver leaf followed by Tamiya flat clear. I think it’s a near perfect match for cast aluminum, thank you Dennis!! I painted the engine block Bahama blue, then added 2 coats of clear blue, it’s not a perfect match, but pretty close I think. If you look at the heads, you can see the heat stains in the paint at the exhaust ports. I replicated that using a little clear yellow, then flat clear brushed on. The dipstick is simply ignition wire. I’ve done some work on the exhaust manifolds, but not quite ready to install yet. 
IMG_8985.thumb.jpeg.930f306a0453a629c85e9e21b7e67db1.jpeg

IMG_8988.thumb.jpeg.df7cfdb7c7f833c994a306068e0526bd.jpeg

IMG_9014.thumb.jpeg.a8bd42e5a3584a80a45d8f95f01909b7.jpeg

I have a fair amount more work done that is not shown here yet, but it’s a bit discombobulated (there’s a word for ya 🤔) I’ve been bouncing around a bit trying to sort out things that need modification and such. Removing the A/C from the firewall and building a heater box for example… I’m almost at the point where I can boldly march ahead….following instructions…..nah.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, and as always all comments welcome. If anyone sees anything glaringly not right, please speak up. 

Cheers, Steve

• Like 4

On 1/28/2024 at 8:10 PM, Keef said:

Maybe use the firewall from the AMT 69 Olds 442 for the A/C delete? I would think they both should be very similar.

Hi Keith, I do have an AMT 69 Olds kit and had looked at it. The 69 firewall would have needed enough mods that it was a wash so I decided to just modify the kit piece and leave the 69 unscathed. Great (?) minds think alike… Also an opportunity for me to do some scratch building. Thank you for the idea, much appreciated. 

On 1/28/2024 at 8:17 PM, Bainford said:

That 442 is a beauty for sure. Crazy clean engine is a top notch resource for detail reference. This sounds like a fun project.

Hi Trevor, thanks for checking in. Ya, his car is ridiculously clean, and it’s nice to have photos for reference. Yes, it will be a fun one, I really enjoy builds that will be gifts. 

On 1/28/2024 at 8:19 PM, CabDriver said:

Good start Steve!  I REALLY like that blue color you figured out for the block…that would be a great color for a future build I had in mind…

Looking forward to seeing this one come together!

Hello Jim! The clear blue gave it just a little more depth and richness. Thanks for taking the time to comment sir.

On 1/29/2024 at 5:28 AM, Moparman18064 said:

Looking good. I’m on board watching

Hi Rich, and welcome aboard. Looks like you are fairly new to the forum, so welcome to the forum too!  Trying to have a small update tomorrow…

On 1/31/2024 at 7:47 PM, slusher said:

Sweet engine paint!

Thank you Carl, always enjoy your input sir!!

Cheers, Steve

A small update. I have a majority of the engine details done. The goal is to capture the overall look, without going too far down the rabbit hole… I have included photos of the 1:1 engine for comparison. I noticed after looking at these photos I need to straighten up the driver side plug wire loom 🧐 The heat shield for the starter cable is heat shrink tube.
233d.jpeg.ec4386a0800e04060016328edad49223.jpeg

IMG_8536.thumb.jpeg.69a84d46d033cb574d1515e491064ffd.jpeg

IMG_9035.thumb.jpeg.c7566d9d577de74898444b7067808368.jpeg

When I do plug wires, I’m guilty of NOT worrying about correct firing order, I just aim for looking about right. Hopefully the real car was done in the correct order!! 

IMG_8545.thumb.jpeg.2d8f6f47faf5c39ba92b227966b5c57f.jpeg
IMG_9034.thumb.jpeg.fb74392b60352f0ec21e0407c70f687d.jpeg

Trying to route the wires I do add, similar to how the actual car is done. The fuel filter is a piece of aluminium tube, with smaller diameter brass tube inside. 2 different sizes of brass tube at the front of the carb.

IMG_8543.thumb.jpeg.ccb3bfbcb956836b0b2c25debd6b0ded.jpeg

IMG_9033.thumb.jpeg.2ebed062c74109e92c1f3f31cbf5a818.jpeg

Not much of an update but progress nonetheless. I still have a few small details to add, and obviously a few big things. I was playing with the idea of using a micro magnet to hold the air cleaner on so it could be removed, but decided against it. There will be 3 tubes connected to it, so it will get glued in place. I am also playing with some magnets and hood hinges. Haven’t quite got things sorted out yet, but more on that once I have it figured out. 

The chassis, and most of the chassis parts are in paint, no photos yet. I will hopefully start assembling that in the next few days.

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and all comments, advice and observations welcome.

Cheers, Steve

• Like 1

Hi Steve - I just discovered your new great new project. You are doing wonderful work as always. I have built a number of models over the years as gifts for family and friends and found it to be a very rewarding experience both for me and the recipients. In the summer of 1967 a 442 Convertible was the first muscle car I ever had a ride in. The acceleration was amazing.

I'm very happy to see you again with a new project Steve and what a great subject and what a good intention for your brother in law!

I love the color of the engine, this kit is definitely in good hands.  I will be following with interest as the '71 442 is one of my favorite GM cars.

I have a weakness for the Buick GSX whose front end shows family resemblances and for the reason that one of my uncles owned one in my youth but the 442 and the Cutlass are superb cars, true classics. 😎

Hey Steve,

Nice Work as always. I too also built my dad a replica of our family car 1969 Olds 442 red on red. It was a fun build and was well received as I know yours will be.

Enjoy the process and will be following.

Russ 

On 2/6/2024 at 8:14 AM, Phildaupho said:

Hi Steve - I just discovered your new great new project. You are doing wonderful work as always. I have built a number of models over the years as gifts for family and friends and found it to be a very rewarding experience both for me and the recipients. In the summer of 1967 a 442 Convertible was the first muscle car I ever had a ride in. The acceleration was amazing.

Hi Phil, I couldn’t agree with you more. These types of builds as gifts are always rewarding. I am fairly confident that Wayne will get a kick out of this when sees it. Not a bad choice for your first muscle car ride, well played!! Thanks for checking in Phil.

On 2/6/2024 at 4:58 PM, Keef said:

I am DEFINITELY watching this one! With your attention to detail and creativity it is going to look amazing!

Hi Keith, thanks for the kind words. I’m finding it interesting building a kit “mostly” stock, instead of kit bashing. I’m seeing areas to detail that maybe would be overlooked in the midst of a full blown custom/kit bash project. So, I actually think I’m learning something!😜🤔 It’s been fun so far…

On 2/7/2024 at 8:01 AM, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I'm very happy to see you again with a new project Steve and what a great subject and what a good intention for your brother in law!

I love the color of the engine, this kit is definitely in good hands.  I will be following with interest as the '71 442 is one of my favorite GM cars.

I have a weakness for the Buick GSX whose front end shows family resemblances and for the reason that one of my uncles owned one in my youth but the 442 and the Cutlass are superb cars, true classics. 😎

Hello Francis my friend, really good to hear from you sir! I’m really enjoying the process, it’s good to know that you have a little soft spot for some GM cars too, not just Mopars. I just realized I’m overdue to check in on your amazing craftsmanship. Thanks for having a look.

On 2/7/2024 at 11:11 AM, kelson said:

Great work on the engine!!👌

Thank you Curtis, much appreciated. A bit more to do yet, but it’s starting to look like an engine.

12 hours ago, deuces wild said:

😎👍

Thanks Guido, I’ll take a thumbs up, and cool any day! I appreciate you taking the time to look.

11 hours ago, dino246gt said:

Your making a fine replica, great details, I'm following and enjoying, cheers!

Great to have you on board Dennis. This is something a little different for me and I’m enjoying it to.

11 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

That trick for the cast aluminum looks really, really good. I'm going to give that a try. Did you the bottle or spray paint?

What is the origin of the Bahama Blue?

Charlie Larkin

Hi Charlie, yes, I remember when I first saw the cast aluminum colour on one of Dennis Lacy’s builds I had to ask him how he achieved it. So for the aluminum it’s all Tamiya spray paint: grey primer, silver leaf, (I believe it’s TS30), then flat clear. Bahama blue is a GM colour if I’m not mistaken. I actually have 2 different brands, but the one on the engine is DupliColour automotive touch up paint in a spray can. As mentioned, I also used some clear blue here as well, but… Bahama blue is a beautiful colour. Thanks for your interest.

8 hours ago, m3fan said:

Hey Steve,

Nice Work as always. I too also built my dad a replica of our family car 1969 Olds 442 red on red. It was a fun build and was well received as I know yours will be.

Enjoy the process and will be following.

Russ 

Hey Russell !! Great to hear from you. I don’t know if I’ve seen that build of your dad’s car. If you have a photo of it please feel free to share it, I’d love to see it. Thanks for checking in. 

8 hours ago, catpack68 said:

Excellent work on the engine! Looking forward to seeing more progress on the rest of the model.I’m taking notes as I plan to build one myself soon👍

Thanks Scott, I should have some more progress by the end of the weekend. Hopefully you will find some useful information, so far it seems to be a good kit. There have been a few little things I didn’t like, but nothing major. I will try to mention any trouble areas. 

Thank you all for taking the time to comment, it is much appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

11 hours ago, Steve H said:

Thanks Guido, I’ll take a thumbs up, and cool any day! I appreciate you taking the time to look.

Great to have you on board Dennis. This is something a little different for me and I’m enjoying it to.

Hi Charlie, yes, I remember when I first saw the cast aluminum colour on one of Dennis Lacy’s builds I had to ask him how he achieved it. So for the aluminum it’s all Tamiya spray paint: grey primer, silver leaf, (I believe it’s TS30), then flat clear. Bahama blue is a GM colour if I’m not mistaken. I actually have 2 different brands, but the one on the engine is DupliColour automotive touch up paint in a spray can. As mentioned, I also used some clear blue here as well, but… Bahama blue is a beautiful colour. Thanks for your interest.

Hey Russell !! Great to hear from you. I don’t know if I’ve seen that build of your dad’s car. If you have a photo of it please feel free to share it, I’d love to see it. Thanks for checking in. 

Thanks Scott, I should have some more progress by the end of the weekend. Hopefully you will find some useful information, so far it seems to be a good kit. There have been a few little things I didn’t like, but nothing major. I will try to mention any trouble areas. 

Thank you all for taking the time to comment, it is much appreciated.

Cheers, Steve

No problem Steve...😉

Another small update.

I forgot to show the exhaust manifolds before and after. The backs are hollow, and although not too visible, I wanted to fill in the portion that would be seen. 
IMG_8955.thumb.jpeg.624372d1c66f84a847a9aa315f5c0b09.jpeg

IMG_9029.thumb.jpeg.f0fcd1dfa21c1d5333366600ce1a773a.jpeg

I didn’t get too fussy with a perfect finish as it will be difficult to see, but much better than the gaping holes…

Most of the chassis, and suspension is in paint. Still some touch ups and details to add but almost ready for assembly. Flat black, gloss black frame, and semi gloss black axle etc. More photos during assembly.

IMG_9036.thumb.jpeg.640d250cc71747153368a817553cd95d.jpeg

More soon!