Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Olds 442 W30 (replica of my brother in law’s car)

Steve H

On 3/8/2024 at 12:51 PM, Duddly01 said:

Wow! The level of detail so far is great!!

Thank you Donald. 

On 3/8/2024 at 2:00 PM, Speedpro said:

Looking good steve. Looks like the paint over bmf method worked out pretty good.

Hi Paul, the foil strips were REALLY thin. I did a quick test, and placing foil after paint and getting a good result was going to be a challenge. I opted for this technique and it worked fairly well.

On 3/8/2024 at 3:04 PM, TransAmMike said:

Geez Steve, you're killing this.  Former  Saturn gold 71 Cutlass S with the  Hi-po 350/W25 hood owner here.   The engine work is awesome!!

Haha, thanks Mike!! Well as a former owner I very much appreciate your kind words. I’d love to see photo of your car if care to share it. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and hope you will follow along. 

Cheers, Steve

Just a quick update to show the slow but steady progress.

Interior base is now in paint, including the trademark red “plastic” front inner fenders. For the red I used white primer, Tamiya Italian red, then Mr. hobby super smooth matte clear. The rest of the interior got gray primer, flat black, and the seat, and floor mat is semi-gloss black.  “Carpet” is embossing powder. For fun I added a “hi beam” foot switch (small piece of solder), and scratch built the seat belt retractors. Belts will be added later.

IMG_9159.thumb.jpeg.5161d2680f92521b92e297eae4e23cb2.jpeg

IMG_9160.thumb.jpeg.882f7cbbbd9bbda8c1c52bfb15ab4ce1.jpeg

IMG_9161.thumb.jpeg.85bf68c9dc69b98121f1f889ab1f073c.jpeg

I still have details to add to the centre console, maybe a few touch ups on the flocking. The console is painted with NATO black, the arm rest on the console is semi-gloss.

Hoping to make some decent progress on the interior over the weekend, and have a more meaningful update…

As always, thanks for taking the time to have a look.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Steve H said:

Haha, thanks Mike!! Well as a former owner I very much appreciate your kind words. I’d love to see photo of your car if care to share it. Thanks for taking the time to comment, and hope you will follow along. 

Cheers, Steve

Don't have a picture of the actual car but I did build an exact replica of it

20210120_132644.jpg.bf2662d486add650c77685a4e725e264.jpg20210120_132851(1).jpg.797a2585ebcb8b1713fdee8fbbfef6f3.jpg20210120_133541.jpg.8dc8fe982b16179f872b837b869552d6.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steve H said:

Just a quick update to show the slow but steady progress.

Interior base is now in paint, including the trademark red “plastic” front inner fenders. For the red I used white primer, Tamiya Italian red, then Mr. hobby super smooth matte clear. The rest of the interior got gray primer, flat black, and the seat, and floor mat is semi-gloss black.  “Carpet” is embossing powder. For fun I added a “hi beam” foot switch (small piece of solder), and scratch built the seat belt retractors. Belts will be added later.

IMG_9159.thumb.jpeg.5161d2680f92521b92e297eae4e23cb2.jpeg

IMG_9160.thumb.jpeg.882f7cbbbd9bbda8c1c52bfb15ab4ce1.jpeg

IMG_9161.thumb.jpeg.85bf68c9dc69b98121f1f889ab1f073c.jpeg

I still have details to add to the centre console, maybe a few touch ups on the flocking. The console is painted with NATO black, the arm rest on the console is semi-gloss.

Hoping to make some decent progress on the interior over the weekend, and have a more meaningful update…

As always, thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Those seats look like the perfect amount of gloss to simulate vinyl. Whose semi-gloss black is that?

18 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Looking nice mate! nice tuch with the switch!

Thanks Anton! I’m trying to add as much detail as I can with my skills. Also, I think little things like this although not overly visible, will create some “depth” in the black interior. Hope all is well with you my friend. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Don't have a picture of the actual car but I did build an exact replica of it

20210120_132644.jpg.bf2662d486add650c77685a4e725e264.jpg20210120_132851(1).jpg.797a2585ebcb8b1713fdee8fbbfef6f3.jpg20210120_133541.jpg.8dc8fe982b16179f872b837b869552d6.jpg

Beautiful build there Mike! Thank you for sharing it. I’m sure the 1:1 was real beauty too.

9 hours ago, Speedpro said:

I don't know what I like more, the dimmer switch or the seat belt retractors? Looking good!

Thanks Paul. I keep finding rabbit holes… I’ve done the belt retractors before, but first time for a high beam switch. Thanks for the kind words.

7 hours ago, kelson said:

Love all the added extra detail! the dimmer switch is something i would have never even thought about or the seatbelt retractors.👍

Thank you Curtis, just trying to spice up a black interior and give it some depth.

7 hours ago, ubermodel said:

Those seats look like the perfect amount of gloss to simulate vinyl. Whose semi-gloss black is that?

Hi Dennis, all the interior colours are Tamiya TS rattle can. I used NATO black, flat black and semigloss black. The seats are semi gloss black, with nato black backs.  I feel it has the right sheen, another option I hear about is vinyl or fabric paint which might be a good option. Once I have the whole thing assembled I plan to elaborate on which parts are what colour. Thanks for having a look.

Cheers, Steve

Every time I saw a picture of the engine, I thought "there is no way that engine could look any better". Then, in the next picture I saw, it looked even better. The interior detailing is impressive as well. Great work.

On 3/16/2024 at 6:34 PM, Noah H. said:

Every time I saw a picture of the engine, I thought "there is no way that engine could look any better". Then, in the next picture I saw, it looked even better. The interior detailing is impressive as well. Great work.

Hi Noah, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the kind words. I’m pretty pleased with how things are coming together, albeit slow. I was hoping to have the interior assembled over the weekend, but didn’t get much bench time. I’m looking forward to seeing the chassis and interior assemblies together. 
Cheers, Steve 

On 3/18/2024 at 4:08 AM, Moparman18064 said:

This just keeps getting better and better! Really nice touches with the retractors and sweet job on the W-30 inner fenders.

Hi Rich! Thanks for the comments. I think the inner fenders are close to the correct colour? I’m “almost” ready to start interior assembly. I got the 8 track player finished this evening, the door cards are about done, still a bit to do on the dash tho. I’m hoping by the end of the weekend I will have a complete and assembled interior. Thanks again for taking the time to look and comment.

Excellent work from a former Olds driver ! We had a 71 Cutlass Supreme convertible, w 350..loved that car but the former owner removed most of the sheetmetal  replacing it w fiberglass..its was showing thru.

On 3/16/2024 at 7:24 AM, NOBLNG said:

Beautiful work Steve! I like all the little details you’re adding to the interior.😎

Hi Greg, I keep finding rabbit holes to go down. Hopefully in the end it’s a reasonable replica of the 1:1

On 3/20/2024 at 6:14 AM, gotnitro? said:

Excellent work from a former Olds driver ! We had a 71 Cutlass Supreme convertible, w 350..loved that car but the former owner removed most of the sheetmetal  replacing it w fiberglass..its was showing thru.

Nice to hear from you Jeff.  It is particularly rewarding to hear from former 442 owners, makes me feel like I’m on the right track. Thanks for checking in.

22 hours ago, mrmike said:

Steve H., nice work on this Olds 442!  I am using this as an indication of tips for my Olds 442 W-30 that I am building.  Keep up the good work!

Hi Michael, I’ve been following along with your build too.  Hopefully you can find a few useful tidbits here. This forum is such a great place for sharing ideas and techniques. 

22 hours ago, customline said:

I gotta say the detailing going on here is quite amazing.  That dimmer switch looks exactly like a dimmer switch down to the dimple in the center. Amazing ! 🤩 

Hi Jim! Funny you mention the high beam switch. As I was rounding the end and “finishing” the part to install, I noticed the “dimple”. It’s a total accident, I think maybe the solder core is a different material? Not sure, but it certainly gave an added little detail. I appreciate your feedback. 

Thanks you all for taking the time to share your thoughts, much appreciated.

Getting a little bit more done on the interior. 
The door cards are done, just need to paint the red lenses on the door lights. The “chrome” surround of the wood grain decals were trimmed off to fit within the foil trim I used. The 8 track player is done, I just need to find a decal or 2  for the cassette that will be in it. The kit comes with an automatic or standard console, which meant there was an extra wood grain decal. That was cut to fit the 8 track player. 😀 

IMG_9167.thumb.jpeg.57bac1d779339e09240898713d88e570.jpeg

IMG_9168.thumb.jpeg.ee3ba2826efb84773322afae70e54d41.jpeg
IMG_0994.png.666ca832b819c65b3006f2712028fab7.png

I couldn’t resist adding the seat adjustment levers to the side of the seats.  Fairly certain they will never be seen, but they are there. It got me thinking I should have opened and hinged the drivers door…. No, not happening! Added BMF around the arm rest on the console and added the button required to open the console. For the steering wheel, I enlarged the spoke centres slightly, then used matte aluminium BMF for the spokes. 
IMG_9165.thumb.jpeg.6502bc2c3a5af1969172c0dbed8b12da.jpeg

IMG_9166.thumb.jpeg.30b6939f34c4bea080c5a11294cd375e.jpeg

IMG_9169.thumb.jpeg.e5667abbc8e6aa201fac31fcd124b197.jpeg

IMG_9170.thumb.jpeg.e9082040f4db805a7529917d6f422c49.jpeg

Still some clean up to do, some dusting…🧐 Couple of thin spots in the flocking I will address. Should be in assembly mode this weekend, really looking forward to seeing everything together. 
As always, thanks for having a look.

• Like 3