Model Cars Magazine Forum

Acceptance of 3D printed models?

23 minutes ago, Speedpro said:

@Ace-Garageguy, I was reading your post and got to the phrase "Chrysler- Gia Showcar" and saw the picture, Just had to share with you that I used to work on this exact car that is in the picture I posted. Its easy to look at a picture of this car and think "Man, is that beautiful. But when its right in front of you, It's more of a "WOW". Worked on this car for 10+ years a couple times a year. One of the scariest cars I'v ever worked on because Its a aluminum body! Had to be so so carefull. You think that car is something, You should see what's in that garage in the picture. $$$

Man...that's the coolest thing I've heard in a long time. I envy you, really.

Far as I know, I've never even been in the same state as one of the Chrysler-Ghias, so...wow.  :D

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I think there will always be a group who resists accepting change. They've always done things one way and are not open minded enough to see the possibilities of new technology.

Or, to be a little less abrasive, you could just say that some of us older modelers have evolved our way of doing things over many years of developing techniques and the use of certain materials that are comfortable to us, and at this juncture in our lives and modeling careers, are completely satisfied with that, and don't feel the need to start all over again with a whole new genre of technologies.

I don't think that you can call that "closed minded".

I think of it more as "disinterested".

I don't have anything against 3-D printing, and if I ever happen to find a part or two for sale that I can't live without, I'm on it, but it's not likely to ever be anything that I'm going to go out of my way to embrace, and I certainly won't be doing any of it myself.

I don't necessarily think that makes me a knuckle dragging neanderthal.

I'm just not all that captivated or fascinated by it.

Got by just fine without it for all of these years.

I think I can do just fine without it for a few more.

Steve

• Like 2

Just another thought...if I wasn't already conversant with CAD, I'd probably not be so "accepting" of 3D-printing model stuff.

I am, after all, an old fossil who's supposed to be set in my ways and totally resistant to any change whatsoever beyond the way things were 50 years ago (which I've heard frequently from "modelers" whose work I've yet to see a single example of).

But there are subjects that will in all probability never be kitted or offered in diecast, or for that matter, probably not (yet?) available as printable files.

So what do you do if you want to model something way outside the main stream, and aren't likely to live forever while you whittle it? 

Embrace the new tech. It's not that hard if you have a technically-oriented brain (in physical reality) and aren't afraid of using a computer.

I don't have a printer yet, because at this point it'd only be something else to pack and move.

You can be sure though, just as soon as I'm out of here and dug-in elsewhere, a printer will be among my first purchases.  :)

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Well,  the way some of the FB members of the group mentioned by the OP were behaving, it was a bit more than being disinterested.

Getting mad at someone who post info on some 3-D printed model they've built and chewing them out is not quite "being disinterested"  If someone was just disinterested, they would look at the model, say "meh", and move on.  Catch my drift?  Again, I think it is the social media bringing out the worst in otherwise normally behaving people.  I can even see me sometimes getting too passionate about things I say online.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, peteski said:

Well,  the way some of the FB members of the group mentioned by the OP were behaving, it was a bit more than being disinterested.

Getting mad at someone who post info on some 3-D printed model they've built and chewing them out is not quite "being disinterested"  If someone was just disinterested, they would look at the model, say "meh", and move on.  Catch my drift?  Again, I think it is the social media bringing out the worst in otherwise normally behaving people.  I can even see me sometimes getting too passionate about things I say online.

I skipped out of FB maybe 5 years ago, I may have checked in a couple of years ago, but to me it is a big waster of time. Plus being full of malcontents and attention-whores. There, I said it. 

I've said this before, I used to catch flak at shows by using parts I had machined up, I made some on CNC equipment. People would say that it gave me an "unfair advantage". By the same token there are many a model decked out with layers of PE parts at shows. More power to those who literally think outside of the kit box.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, peteski said:

I don't speak for everyone else.

I can only speak for myself.

I understand that stupidity abounds, especially on some of the Facebook groups.

Heck, I had a big argument recently with a guy on Facebook who although he claimed to be a model show and contest enthusiast for 55 years, had no idea what the NNL was and what the letters stood for.

But that doesn't mean that everybody that has little or no interest in 3-D printing has an agenda against it.

Are there nuts out there?

Of course.

But my guess would be that there are a great deal more that just don't have much interest in leaping on to the latest band wagon every time a new one comes along.

We're happy with where we are.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

4 hours ago, bobss396 said:

I skipped out of FB maybe 5 years ago, I may have checked in a couple of years ago, but to me it is a big waster of time. Plus being full of malcontents and attention-whores. There, I said it. 

I've said this before, I used to catch flak at shows by using parts I had machined up, I made some on CNC equipment. People would say that it gave me an "unfair advantage". By the same token there are many a model decked out with layers of PE parts at shows. More power to those who literally think outside of the kit box.

I agree. Unfair advantage in what?  Sounds like they are thinking of competition in model contests.  Sure, that is true for trophy-whores (yes I also said that), but model building should be done for your own enjoyment, so as far as I can see, everything goes.  You might or might not even enter a contest. And even if you have whatever advantage they think is from machining your own parts, or using 3-D printing, if your assembly techniques and paint jobs are crappy, you won't be winning top honors.

What I saying that in order to win trophies, you have be pretty damn good modeler, regardless of what extra parts you are slapping on, or whether you are using 3-D printing.  The whole thing makes no sense, but as I said, social media brings out the worst in some people.  Not that this unwarranted jealousy wasn't present, but it was only discussed by few disenchanted modelers whispering in the corner of the model contest hall (not instantly broadcast to hundreds of people).

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject.  I cannot remember which Facebook groups I saw the negative reactions to 3D printed models.  My main reason for asking the question is I wanted the temperature of this forum..  I highly respect the overall attitude and demeaner here.  I didn't want to get ran out of town if I posted pictures of my 3D printed builds.

Thank everyone.  Here's a 3D build on my workbench.

70chevy1.jpg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, jdhog said:

I appreciate everyone's input on this subject.  I cannot remember which Facebook groups I saw the negative reactions to 3D printed models.  My main reason for asking the question is I wanted the temperature of this forum..  I highly respect the overall attitude and demeaner here.  I didn't want to get ran out of town if I posted pictures of my 3D printed builds.

70chevy1.jpg

nice, i've got the crew cab to print some time so its good to see it turns out good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdhog said:

70chevy1.jpg

That is a cool truck. I am sure there would be a lot of folks that would build one if they get one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitchdup said:

nice, i've got the crew cab to print some time so its good to see it turns out good

It prints out really good.  I'm thinking about reprinting the hood though.  Doesn't fit exactly right.  Might have been a bad print.

I see a parallel here with the 1;1 scale 32 Ford Hot Rod guys. There is extra respect for the person that takes a poor condition steel body and creates a knockout result after a lot of effort and money. They are quick to point out that they are steel. As long as the two camps enjoy and recognize that there is still the all important assembly and painting tasks to complete be it steel or fiberglass, an enjoyable day can be had.

• Like 2

I have a model 'kit' that was 3D printed...... At the time it was the only way to get one of the subject that looked decent. I couldn't be happier with it! I plan on building it just like I would a plastic kit, only not with tube glue. :D

SDC10657.JPG.226bb677db0c7b12790d1955150462c0.JPG

• Like 2

14 hours ago, peteski said:

Sure, that is true for trophy-whores (yes I also said that), but model building should be done for your own enjoyment, so as far as I can see, everything goes.

Absolutely! If you're not enjoying it, there's no point to any of this (unless it's your profession). I have known several people who seemed to build mostly for competition. At least half of them don't build, anymore, claiming burnout. I can't even comprehend that.

• Like 1

Acceptance of 3D printed models is a question I don't ask myself. I don't ask if it's ok to assemble a styrene kit. I don't ask if it's ok to assemble a resin kit. So why would a 3D printed model be an issue?  I care about the subject and happy if it is available for me to build, whatever the source of component fabrication. I like putting the kit together and fixing the flaws, scratch building bits and pieces and adding aftermarket parts when I can't make them myself. Wether I can do that starting with a styrene, resin or 3D printed kit is not a question I ask myself. The only acceptance that matters is mine.

• Like 4

On 2/17/2024 at 1:39 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Or, to be a little less abrasive, you could just say that some of us older modelers have evolved our way of doing things over many years of developing techniques and the use of certain materials that are comfortable to us, and at this juncture in our lives and modeling careers, are completely satisfied with that, and don't feel the need to start all over again with a whole new genre of technologies.

I don't think that you can call that "closed minded".

I don't have anything against 3-D printing, and if I ever happen to find a part or two for sale that I can't live without, I'm on it, but it's not likely to ever be anything that I'm going to go out of my way to embrace, and I certainly won't be doing any of it myself.

I don't necessarily think that makes me a knuckle dragging neanderthal.

I'm just not all that captivated or fascinated by it.

Got by just fine without it for all of these years.

I think I can do just fine without it for a few more.

Steve

Disinterest is understandable, but the post referred to...more aggressively negative reactions.

52 minutes ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Acceptance of 3D printed models is a question I don't ask myself. I don't ask if it's ok to assemble a styrene kit. I don't ask if it's ok to assemble a resin kit. So why would a 3D printed model be an issue?  I care about the subject and happy if it is available for me to build, whatever the source of component fabrication. I like putting the kit together and fixing the flaws, scratch building bits and pieces and adding aftermarket parts when I can't make them myself. Wether I can do that starting with a styrene, resin or 3D printed kit is not a question I ask myself. The only acceptance that matters is mine.

I get that 100%.  

I don't have any local hobby shops.  I don't have any real life friends that are model builders.  I do not enter contests.  My wife and kids couldn't care less what I build.  This forum is the only place I display my builds for people to see.  Just making sure I wasn't going to get ridiculed when I started sharing my pictures.  Facebook modeling groups seem to bring out the worst of the worst.

• Like 1

I would buy one in a heartbeat if I was confident that I could master the skills needed to use it effectively.🤔 I think in my case, it might just take up a huge chunk of my time with limited results. It’s the computer software skills that intimidate me.🤯

Edited by NOBLNG
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, MeatMan said:

Disinterest is understandable, but the post referred to...more aggressively negative reactions.

Yes, but the question was, "what is our opinion" on 3-D printing.

Not what do we think of every individual dumbbell that gets their panties in a wad because they think everyone else should think like them.

And yes, I believe that's a two way street.

Steve 

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

9 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

I would buy one in a heartbeat if I was confident that I could master the skills needed to use it effectively.🤔 I think in my case, it might just take up a huge chunk of my time with limited results. It’s the computer software skills that intimidate me.🤯

I think you'd find that downloading and printing files is easier than you think.  I've not even began to think about designing my own, but I'll happily pay for and print the work of others.  😀

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

...Not what do we think of every individual dumbbell that gets their panties in a wad because they think everyone else should think like them.

No matter what field you're in, from plumbing to brain surgery, and no matter how proficient you are, how much experience you have, or how many accolades you've accumulated from your actual peers, there's always going to be somebody who tells you you're doing it wrong.

The internet is awash with ignorant idiots who have zero social-skills and think they know everything, and the anonymity tends to encourage keyboard-warriors to engage in behavior that would have gotten a man knocked across the room in more civilized times.

It's just the way it is.  :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I have been building since 1959 and have enjoyed the polystyrene addiction immensely. That being said I do have three resin bodies waiting to be placed on styrene chassis and I have s selection of Texas 3D parts for my Revell VW, plus another selection of 3d engines waiting their turn to be implanted into their respective styrene kits. I have discovered it is more cost-efficient to buy a quality 3d printed Ford SOHC than to purchase one of the many kits with that particular engine. Many of those are bleak at best, plus there is the leftover incomplete kit with no engine. As said earlier "parts are parts". If I can find a steel front roll-pan for my Pinto - great, but if not I will settle for a fiberglass replica.

• Like 6