Model Cars Magazine Forum

What are the must-build classic kits?

History is a difficult thing to quantify. The list of legendary kits in this hobby is lengthy, depending on who you talk to. The various AMT Trophy kits, the Tom Daniel kits, etc all have legendary status. But when i think of the history of the hobby in this case I think of kits that are bedrock kits that made a leap above everything else in production at the time and show the evolution of kit engineering. In my case I'll keep it to North American companies (not to discount other companies contributions). of course others may disagree and I'm probably forgetting some from my own mental list so I reserve the right to update this later 😋

AMT 1958 Annuals

AMT Ala Kart/29 Ford roadster

Johan Turbine Car

Revell 69 Camaro

Monogram 59 Cadillac

Galaxie Ltd 48 Chevy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

For me, it has to be the Jo-Han V-16 Cadillacs.  Even by modern standards, they build up very nice.

Sorry but the early AMT stuff is proof that there's such a thing as too much nostalgia, though the company really started to shine in the late '90s/early '00s

I agree with the Johan Cadillacs being nice kits, but I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment of the early AMT kits.

Along with Johan, if it were not for the AMT annuals from the late 50s throughout the 60s, representation of American automobiles from that era, (with a very few exceptions) would be nearly nonexistent.

They may not have been engineering marvels, but in many instances the accuracy of body shape and proportion still puts many modern kits to shame to this day.

It’s my opinion the there is much more that constitutes a good kit, and what’s required to make a nice model, than just the number of parts contained in the box.

Steve

• Like 3

Actually, the Trophy Series kits ARE pretty well engineered.  Building say, the stock version, there really aren't a lot of parts yet they look pretty decent.  There are compromises like the tires which had to be used for all versions however.

The old Pyro 1/32 scale car kits fit that description also.  Especially considering they were engineered to a (low) price and were made with two-piece tooling (no one-piece body).

• Like 1

Good topic. I have to add the 65 Chevelle wagon, 65 Galaxie, 39 Chevy, 53 Studebaker, 59 Impala and 70 GSX. Mainstays that most have probably tried their hand at. Oh....... let me add the 70 Boss Mustang as well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

For me, it has to be the Jo-Han V-16 Cadillacs.  Even by modern standards, they build up very nice.

Sorry but the early AMT stuff is proof that there's such a thing as too much nostalgia, though the company really started to shine in the late '90s/early '00s

Some guy in my club just built one, as a vintage wrecker. I regret not snapping a picture of it at the last meeting. If I can find a link to it, I will post it.

• Like 1

Definitely agree on the Monogram 59 Cadillac!

I'll add a few that may not be everyone's cup of tea:

• Monogram (Revell) S-10 / Syclone (not the 1/20 Lindberg kit, either)
  • Monogram Cobra 427
  • AMT Cobra 289
  • AMT 55/ 57 Cameo 
  • Monogram 37 Ford pickup
  • Tamiya Lotus Super 7 (the 1/24 version)
  • Like 2

When I think of must builds I think of vintage kits and re-pops of those that got me into the hobby.

I'd have to suggest:

Monogram Badman Chevy or Street Machine version

Any of the 70's era Monogram Street Vette's. Hopefully Atlantis gets these because they are pricey.

AMT 40 Ford

AMT 49 Ford

AMT 66 Mustang

• Like 1

Of the top of my head, ...

Any of the Monogram "Early Iron " kits , Lil Coffin, Boot hill express, and any of Monograms 1926 Mack trucks.

Everybody should have a swing at the AMT 1966 Mustang.

And, at some point everybody should build at least one Jo-Han funnycar.

• Like 1