Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Model A Roadster

Speedpro

This is a 4 week build I did to have something to put on the table at the final GSL. I had planned on a different powertrain but my idea just happen to be something another builder also had in mind(Mr Mark Weller). So i had to come up with another idea. Ended up building the roadster and kit bashing the Matt Hay pro street T-bird into it. This was rather challenging, being space limited, as the engine from the t-bird is no way just a drop in. But it is a ford. The engine and blower mounts were adapted to the frame and a trans mount was built and relocated. A dog house was built for the interior since more than half the engine was now in the passenger compartment. All the parts for the superchargers were thinned including the drive system trying to get as much room as I could. This really helped getting everything to fit. The front suspension was dropped a scale 5 inches or so by building a new crossmember mount so the radiator would remain in it's stock position. The front axle was also drilled and the drag link was modified to clear. At the rear, The four bar links from the t-bird were used and required new mounting points to the frame. The rear end was narrowed to pull the rear tires inboard to keep the same track width with the front. A drive shaft was also built. Tires came frome the parts box and the wheels were taken from th Bob Glidden Pro Stock kit. Brakes are drums all around. The bottom of the floor was smoothed by removing all the ribs. Then a exhaust system was built using the mufflers from the '66 nova ss kit and round tubing. The system was then alcad chromed. Alclad chrome, polished aluminum, and aluminum were used to finish all the parts for the engine and suspension along with the MCW Nassua Blue Metalic body color. The interior was done with light earth brown and the floor finished with embosing powder. The hurst quarter stick shifter and gauges were used from the t-bird. I added a little something to the front seat to give a little character. Was surprised I even got it done and is missing a few key components. Even so, It was a fun build.

IMG_3618.JPG.0c6bab8bb70fe7bd43b55ebb9d4cc887.JPG

IMG_3619.JPG.75c04b2b6a6682b8014222171116f3dd.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG.8bc5267042baad87f2207de94d272b78.JPG

IMG_3622.thumb.JPG.9232efed9576b8eaeea513c7cb64b883.JPG

IMG_3623.thumb.JPG.7e0276e1f05c6171ff64618a2b4a3b08.JPG

IMG_3625.thumb.JPG.e5770a45b6b7ab42fb288506b8dc717a.JPG

IMG_3627.thumb.JPG.fdcc27972024e7369bfaabddb189a690.JPG

IMG_3629.JPG.422c204e9ae93db1e46868adde10edcd.JPG

IMG_3633.thumb.JPG.ed8f433c936d9815e873e014d094fb36.JPG

Thanks for looking.

• Like 18

Really cool build Paul. I’m thinking the engine would have been tricky to get fitted in there… Those wheels from the Glidden kit are, IMHO the best wheels ever kitted. Shame they haven’t found their way into another kit. Love the colour choices you made, stance is aggressive, I like it! In the second photo, it looks poised to strike the tires and do a big ‘ol burnout. 

Cheers, Steve

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Steve H said:

Really cool build Paul. I’m thinking the engine would have been tricky to get fitted in there… Those wheels from the Glidden kit are, IMHO the best wheels ever kitted. Shame they haven’t found their way into another kit. Love the colour choices you made, stance is aggressive, I like it! In the second photo, it looks poised to strike the tires and do a big ‘ol burnout. 

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Steve, 

The engine was a bit of a challenge. Getting the blower mount figured out was the hardest. Building the engine cover by far was the hardest part to build. The original plan was to stretch the body and frame to give more cabin space (leg room) but I only had 4 wks to get it done. Should have started sooner, my fault. I only have a couple sets of those glidden wheels and and am getting picky about where they are being used. This car just felt right. Still have a couple of the glidden kits in stock, But the shrink wrap is not coming off.

15 hours ago, Kenmojr said:

Incredible workmanship on this build. But I would hate to have to change spark plugs on this baby. Outstanding build...

Thanks Ken, I too believe it would be on the tough side to change plugs, but doable.

7 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

This is one beautiful Model A, your engineering on this is impressive. Well done Paul. 

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

Thank you David, The question when building a Model A anymore is "What can I do to separate this build from others?" It's allmost like reinventing the wheel. I think I gave myself some elbow room at least.

6 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

That’s a very nice build. The engine and chassis are exceptional with realistic looking metal finishes. 
Did you do anything in particular to the chrome parts?

Thanks Harry, All the chrome parts that were going to be used on the car were stripped and redone with Alclad Chrome, Polished Aluminum and Aluminum. The wheels are the only thing I left "Kit Chrome". 

1 hour ago, LennyB said:

Looks really nice, thanks for keeping it all Ford. But I don't think I would have enough legroom😆

Thanks len, This is something that was thought about. The original plan was to stretch the body and frame to give more leg room. Time was not on my side to get the car done to take to GSL.  So ya, Its kinda "tight". 

• Like 2

WOW!  Way kool, Brother!  When I saw this debuted in Salt Lake at the GSL XXVIII I knew there was going to be several builders that wanted to know more about this amazing '29 A Roadster!  Then seeing you surrounded by six or eight top modelers asking question after question, I knew you had made your presents known!  Your style and execution are spot on and only gets better with every new model you build!  Your eye for what it takes to finish your projects, as if they are the real thing, can only come from your years of experience building and restoring 1:1 museum automobilia.  Now, in the scale world, so many others are learning from your experience and awesome tutelage!  Always grateful for the having you as a friend and mentor, Brother. -KK

• Thanks 1

Beautiful looking roadster enjoyed watching your build. Fitting the engine and drive line looked like 8 gal. going into a 5 gal. can. Paint and interior look great together as does the chassis. 

• Thanks 1