Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 69 Charger R/T vs. Revell Pro Modeler 69 Charger R/T

crowe-t

17 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

So THAT was the difference between the boxes! I learned something new today.....I thought I heard someone say that there was a different box years ago, but they weren't specific. Now watch someone try to sell one of those 'sealed' kits in with the bad body on eBay. The uninitiated won't be the wiser sadly.

I believe the wrong roof is what led to the delay of the Daytona kit initially and IIRC, Revell did replace the bodies for those that asked which was very good on their part.

Yes they did, I got the early Pro Modeler kit with the bad body back when the kit was new and asked for the corrected parts, except for the body Revell sent new glass, new decals and new instructions. 
The copyright date on the first issue with the wrong body is 1997 and the revised kit 1998.

Edited by Force

7 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

Now see, I build mine as a General Lee many years back, and I just now found out the roof is wrong. I had the Old pro modeler version. Think its too late to ask for a corrected body?:lol:

Maybe, maybe not if they get their distribution set up again - however, the '69 body is out of production. Shortly before the shutdown, I asked if they could send me the current '68 body and glass so I could do a roof transplant, and they agreed to it.

One of the biggest fumbles ever from Revell/Monogram.  For my money, also one of their greatest recoveries.  I asked for a couple of the corrected bodies and they sent two entire kits.  R/M could be really good like that from time to time, and I hope the new company takes such things into account as it works out its new normal.

That first body was rough, but it does make you appreciate the correction all the more. The recent '70 Chargers are also pretty nice, based on the corrected '69 patterns but all-new in tooling.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
removal of reference to deleted off-topic post

That botched 1997 issue body (was the glass proportionally-undersized as well ?) would be a great piece for a 1969-era Funny Car ( I believe that there was a Lindamood Color Me Gone ! Charger in '68 or '69 , no ?).

A customer at the gas station I worked at 30 years ago showed me photos of the 1969 Charger that he bought new ( from Atlantic Dodge in East Los Angeles --- long defunct ) and customised :

- Chopped top 

- Frenched fuel filler

- Miles-deep Night Watch Blue lacquer paint

- Fenton Sharks 

I wish that I had access to those photos again , as it would be a neat car to build a replica of based on the Revell goof .

I bought that initial ‘69 Charger kit and Revell sent me a new, corrected body. So my kit has that previous lettering I guess, but the correct body.

Also, all of the Pro-Modeler Chargers I’ve bought had two complete engines in them. A 440 & a Hemi. Plus the racing parts previously mentioned. Drag racing parts for the Charger, NASCAR stuff for the Daytona.

And FWIW, I still haven’t actually finished either of those Chargers I bought all those years ago. ?

3 hours ago, Dan Rosenello said:

I bought that initial ‘69 Charger kit and Revell sent me a new, corrected body. So my kit has that previous lettering I guess, but the correct body.

I hope they sent you the 'glass', too, as that was also new/different.

3 hours ago, Dan Rosenello said:

Also, all of the Pro-Modeler Chargers I’ve bought had two complete engines in them. A 440 & a Hemi. Plus the racing parts previously mentioned. Drag racing parts for the Charger, NASCAR stuff for the Daytona.

Dave Zinn had a good breakdown of the Revell '68-'70 Charger family earlier in this topic:

On 8/11/2010 at 10:56 AM, davezinn said:

i've come up with at least 7 '68-70 body toolings that Revell has done.

1st Pro Modeler '69 body with the wack roof

2nd Pro Modeler '69 body with the "corrected" roof

3rd Pro Modeler '69 Daytona body

4th Revell Dick Landy '68 body with no vinyl top and '69 side markers

5th Revell '68 Bullitt diecast

6th Revell '70-ish Fast & Furious diecast

7th Revell Special Edition '68 kit with no vinyl top or side markers

*below kits are new since Dave created the above*

8th Revell Dominic's 1970 Dodge Charger - Fast & Furious

9th Revell '70 Dodge Charger R/T

• Xingu unlocked this topic

Well the old practice with annuals was to make detail changes to the tooling all the time.  As for something this major though, yeah, I'm not sure. 

From the beltline down, the corrected body seemed very similar to the chopped one, but without the two shells at hand to compare, I can only speculate.

44 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Well the old practice with annuals was to make detail changes to the tooling all the time.  As for something this major though, yeah, I'm not sure. 

From the beltline down, the corrected body seemed very similar to the chopped one, but without the two shells at hand to compare, I can only speculate.

Oh I forgot all about the old annual tooling that got change every year.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 8:22 AM, Brutalform said:

Someone might want to build a chopped top, without actually cutting the roof. ? 

this thread made me go look at my stash, and it turns out I bought a copy of the chopped top kit.  However, it might work out fine - the way-too-short roll cage from the old general lee kit looks right at home :lol:

IMG_5173.JPG

• 5 years later...
On 12/24/2018 at 8:04 AM, Jim H. said:

FDE57E03-FEFE-408F-A41A-753332C93FA6.jpeg

991B823B-96DC-49AA-BA5E-31719D287002.jpeg

Revell STILL missed the boat with the corrected body. As with all of their B-body Mopars, the sides are slabby, the rear quarters are too pointy, and the rear wheel arch is wrong. It’s like the tooling designer has a lazy eye or something. 

On 2/3/2024 at 3:33 PM, Mike Forrester said:

Revell STILL missed the boat with the corrected body. As with all of their B-body Mopars, the sides are slabby, the rear quarters are too pointy, and the rear wheel arch is wrong. It’s like the tooling designer has a lazy eye or something. 

While that very well may be true, it looks pretty badass when finished... especially compared to the DOH kit