Model Cars Magazine Forum

So What does Revell Have up Their Sleeves?

If you went during the peak of the shows......you can see how it would be easy to spend $100,000 or more for the show. Just not worth it any longer.

An example.....not a slam on unions.....but you are not allowed to move displays, chairs or run any electric lines to display cases without a paid union member from that trade.....that alone is a big cost. Bring in a display car like RM did with Roth one year and cost go through the roof......four days of staffing etc......just too costly for the size of todays market. Not a negative...just a change...the only constant. All is well!!!

If you went during the peak of the shows......you can see how it would be easy to spend $100,000 or more for the show. Just not worth it any longer.

An example.....not a slam on unions.....but you are not allowed to move displays, chairs or run any electric lines to display cases without a paid union member from that trade.....that alone is a big cost. Bring in a display car like RM did with Roth one year and cost go through the roof......four days of staffing etc......just too costly for the size of todays market. Not a negative...just a change...the only constant. All is well!!!

Exactly right. Most convention spaces have similar kinds of rules, and it doesn't matter what your industry might be, whether you're Microsoft or a regional association. You have to follow the hall's rules, in most cases pay for union labor, build your booth within very defined specifications (which can vary from space to space, requiring modifications to expensive display booths), etc. Where the value comes into play for some companies is providing a networking platform for manufacturers, distributors, retailers, and sometimes end customers depending on the products, to get together and close sales (probably a very limited group in modeling), and maybe get some press coverage. And it's true, today's electronic marketing options, in addition to global recession, have caused substantial decreases in trade show participation and investment.

Edited by sjordan2

Hmmm, I see the Toledo NNL is October 6th, a few days before Revell's planned announcement date. This could be interesting.

im curious to see what they have to offer. been a long time since there has been a shakup in the model world.

and dont knock Cleveland..... we have the Cavs.... the tribe............. the Browns............................. hmmmmmmmmm.............

im curious to see what they have to offer. been a long time since there has been a shakup in the model world.

Just curious, someone earlier ni the thread pointed out the expense of these types of shows when compated to their current "market size" I have heard different numbers tossed about as to what a new release was expected to sell, like the Mobius Hudons around 5000 kits. That seems VERY low, but how do I know.

But, are those number correct? What were the sales numbers like of a succesful kit in say 1968?

So if Revell is facing the same concerns, easy to see the expesnse is not worth it.

Just curious, someone earlier ni the thread pointed out the expense of these types of shows when compared to their current "market size" I have heard different numbers tossed about as to what a new release was expected to sell, like the Mobius Hudsons around 5000 kits. That seems VERY low, but how do I know.

That seems high...considering the obscure subject matter..can't imagine that subject selling very many..

That seems high...considering the obscure subject matter..can't imagine that subject selling very many..

Mobieus has sold at least 5000 Nascar versions alone, not counting the stock and convertible kits. How do I know ?? There was a "limited run" of 2000 Tim Flock cars, 2000 Marshall Teauge cars, and now another run of 1000 Tim Flock kits. Factor in the stock and convertible kits and I'd bet they have run at least 20000 kits by now and they ain't done yet.

Just curious, someone earlier ni the thread pointed out the expense of these types of shows when compated to their current "market size" I have heard different numbers tossed about as to what a new release was expected to sell, like the Mobius Hudons around 5000 kits. That seems VERY low, but how do I know.

But, are those number correct? What were the sales numbers like of a succesful kit in say 1968?

So if Revell is facing the same concerns, easy to see the expesnse is not worth it.

Tom Daniels claims that that 1/24th Red Baron kit sold 2 Million copies within the first few years of it's release of 1968.

It's been reported that the MPC Monkeemobile sold 7 Million copies since it's original release and that the Dukes of Hazzard Charger sold even more. I recall hearing that a typical AMT annual kit would sell over 100,000 copies back then.

By comparison, Lindberg produced a total of 9600 Charger Police Car kits which is considered a good sales figure today.

-Steve

Would/did Lindberg make the investment back on just 9600 kits?

They "only" had to add the "Police specific", parts to an already existing kit...which probably were already on the drawing board, when they were designing the diecast versions of the Police Charger, so I assume a bit cheaper, then an all new tool.

But Steve Goldman, will know for sure....

Edited by Luc Janssens

They "only" had to add the "Police specific", parts to an already existing kit...which probably were already on the drawing board, when they were designing the diecast versions of the Police Charger, so I assume a bit cheaper, then an all new tool.

Ahh yes thats a good point, so really then the cost was low, just tooling for the police parts

I wonder when or if we will see anything new from Lindberg...that police version of the Charger seems like it took 5 years or so since their Charger kit first came out..

In all fairness, I think it was only two years ago when the Charger police car hit store shelves, but it was a long wait.

As for Lindberg, I haven't seen any signs of life out of them since iHobby 2011. :(

I wonder when or if we will see anything new from Lindberg...that police version of the Charger seems like it took 5 years or so since their Charger kit first came out..

Maybe they made the money back, or maybe not ...... Lindberg had to make something like 60 all new parts and remake about a dozen more that were changed for SRT 8 version. If you guys want the full story on the Lindberg Police Charger we should probably start a new thread unless there is an old one we can dig up.

I didn't mean to hijack this from the Revell question but the Police Charger was the only one I could remember the sales figures on. The only Revell kit I had any involvement with was of the M-K Limited releases and those are typically 3000 - 5000 kits. I have no idea on current Revell sales figures.

Steve

Mobieus has sold at least 5000 Nascar versions alone, not counting the stock and convertible kits. How do I know ?? There was a "limited run" of 2000 Tim Flock cars, 2000 Marshall Teauge cars, and now another run of 1000 Tim Flock kits. Factor in the stock and convertible kits and I'd bet they have run at least 20000 kits by now and they ain't done yet.

Especially considering I'll be buying at least two more coupes and a convertible. I'm using the coupe I have now to build Jeff's gorgeous 4-door (I have an early production kit with very bad seaming on the body that I can't sand out.,) plus a coupe and another of Jeff's conversion- a Hollywood.

I do hope though, as Mark said, that a '57 Chevy convertible is forthcoming. Their model is very nice and that's one car that is LONG overdue for such an icon.

Charlie Larkin

I for one am awaiting more BIG scale builds (1:12 and maybe 1:8). Gotta love the big boys!

I wouldn't hold my breath. According to the podcast interview with Ed Sexton that was recently posted to this forum, he said he didn't see much opportunity in producing larger scale kits.