Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

37 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Looks terrible with that transparent metallic plastic, but it will look good wrapped in a decent paint job. :D

I wouldn't be able to resist painting it on the inside, just for the different look. 

A couple of cheapies, from memory both around £13 including shipping:

50405757292_5bd7d10502_b.jpg

AMT 1993 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Engine donor for a forthcoming project. Rest of it looks it would make a quick and easy kerbside build (on some alternative wheels, to make it a bit more interesting).

50404900303_668431783d_b.jpg

1:25 Revell 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS kit by Spottedlaurel, on Flickr

Bought with the damage, which is why it was that price. A bit of a risk as it was sealed, but fortunately it all looks to be fine inside.

I've always been pretty impartial when it comes the Big Three US car makers, but I do seem to be ending up with a lot of Chevrolets.

Edited by Spottedlaurel

Pardon the terrible photo, but today I got the final pieces to my Beemax Audi quattro kit.

UCSP resin engine/engine bay detail upgrade kit. On visual inspection, looks like a good quality casting, much better resin than I'm used to from previous hobbies (looking at you, Games Workshop).

Once I finish up my current Porsche project, it'll be on to surgical enhancements of the Audi. Can't wait.

received_626433664681094.jpeg

This was like unwrapping a $180 onion of doom...

20201001_145515.thumb.jpg.4c8c265c4d0feb7c7390ecd2fe6ab468.jpg

20201001_145700.thumb.jpg.1e132f50ce860ae3d2fe13f2d4e3b75b.jpg

20201001_145742.thumb.jpg.75e7d60961006ece6bf9f64dce77404b.jpg

20201001_145755.thumb.jpg.232fc193e2deb42afc2db2a2ee09e060.jpg

But somehow despite someone playing soccer with it, practicing field goal kicking and then placing a grand piano on top of it for the flight over...the contents were without damage. It's been awhile since I've had that much dread followed by utter relief. 

20201001_150408.thumb.jpg.df1321d36da7917409bcd2ee2735ef4e.jpg

19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Looks terrible with that transparent metallic plastic, but it will look good wrapped in a decent paint job. :DSteve

Be careful with that body. It is clear plastic and as brittle as windshields of that era.

BTW, those metallic cars were Jim Keeler’s idea.  

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

This was like unwrapping a $180 onion of doom...

20201001_145700.thumb.jpg.1e132f50ce860ae3d2fe13f2d4e3b75b.jpg

But somehow despite someone playing soccer with it, practicing field goal kicking and then placing a grand piano on top of it for the flight over...the contents were without damage. It's been awhile since I've had that much dread followed by utter relief. 

That looks like the last package I received from Hobby Easy. I got lucky like you, everything was good on the inside.

Edited by stinkybritches
Blamed wrong vendor

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Be careful with that body. It is clear plastic and as brittle as windshields of that era.

BTW, those metallic cars were Jim Keeler’s idea.  

The "paint them on the inside" deal didn't work due to things like radiator bulkheads and body mounting posts being in the way and showing through.  Had the bodies been purpose designed, with uniform thickness and no mounting bosses on the inside, it might have worked.

Same goes for the clear bodies MPC did.  Most were converted from molded in color bodies...they still had separate windows that had to be glued in leaving marks!  Had the windows been molded as part of the body (Gunze Sangyo did that with a few kits) the "molded in clear" bodies could have worked.

Even the mighty Tamiya blew it with clear bodies.  At least on their Mercedes CLK-GTR kit from back in the 1990's.  They did a special "Full-View" version of that kit with a clear body.  But the body had a very visible "Tamiya" copyright notice stamped into it.  If you wanted to leave the body clear, that needed to be sanded down and polished out.

I seem to remember someone building a Polar Lights "Ghost Cuda" funny car saying that he had something like 20 to 25 hours in sanding out and polishing  ejector pin marks on the inside of the body. I always wondered if he reduced the thickness of the body uniformly or introduced a lot of distortion.

I think I might still have one of the Polar Lights funny cars, with the clear red body (only a fraction of them were clear red).  Trouble is, the interior tin was clear red too, so by the time you got that in you aren't really able to see through all of it.

18 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Drug this home from Hobby Lobby today, judging by the pic on the bottom of the box, it’sssss gonna to be a rough one ?EE5E8F5D-9105-4945-8C6B-DCFE5DE5F039.jpeg.d3c654a89e3d04c063e69b586c18a957.jpeg

modify the decals a little, & paint it blue..US Air Force tanker...instant 3n1 tanker kit....

Edited by thatz4u

I built one of those fuel truck and if I remember right it is 1/48 scale. The kit i pretty nice and only the multi piece cab is a bit of a pain. There is no glass in the kit but pretty easy to make. I painted my truck red and white and ordered some Texaco decals for it. My first job was at a Texaco station back when they had full service. No pics because I sold it.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...