Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Got quite the Christmas surprise from my neighbor (who I had no idea was a modeler)…old unstarted kits he bought new back in the day. Original annual issues of the 66 MPC Charger, 70 MPC Challenger and 71 AMT Monte Carlo. The Challenger is the version molded in Plum Crazy to boot. 

IMG_8615.jpeg

IMG_8616.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

• Like 11

7 hours ago, deuces wild said:

I wonder if that '70 Monte Carlo has anything in common with the newer version.... Probably not...🙁

Supposedly the newer one was all new tooling when it came out, so I think they’re totally different

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, moparmike619 said:

Got quite the Christmas surprise from my neighbor (who I had no idea was a modeler)…old unstarted kits he bought new back in the day. Original annual issues of the 66 MPC Charger, 70 MPC Challenger and 71 AMT Monte Carlo. The Challenger is the version molded in Plum Crazy to boot. 

IMG_8615.jpeg

IMG_8616.jpeg

IMG_8614.jpeg

Very nice neighbor indeed!  Love the '70 Challenge and Monte Carlo box art..👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, deuces wild said:

I wonder if that '70 Monte Carlo has anything in common with the newer version.... Probably not...🙁

1 hour ago, moparmike619 said:

Supposedly the newer one was all new tooling when it came out, so I think they’re totally different

Mike's right. Completely different kit. Nothing shared.

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2023 at 6:33 PM, ranma said:

Went to Ollie's which is down to the unwanted kit's . A case worth of: Green Hornet 1/32 cars, Mach5 speed racer, and Star Trek. I bought the only Big Rig Semi Trailer they had. Wished I would have left it though! Got ready to build it and No darn TIRES! Yes it was still factory sealed!

Man, that’s a bummer. I’m sure the manufacturer will send you some tires..🛞 

On 12/31/2023 at 6:33 PM, ranma said:

Went to Ollie's which is down to the unwanted kit's . A case worth of: Green Hornet 1/32 cars, Mach5 speed racer, and Star Trek. I bought the only Big Rig Semi Trailer they had. Wished I would have left it though! Got ready to build it and No darn TIRES! Yes it was still factory sealed!

Ollies can be hit or miss when it comes to selections.  As far as missing wheels go and it being a sealed kit...Ollies puts there price tag on the kit after taking the manufacturer's wrapping off, and then reseals the kit. They could have lost the tires in that manner. The reason Ollies does this is because a lot of people buy the kits and resell on eBay  or other places after removing a price tag from a discount house. Now the only way to remove Ollies tag is to remove the wrap and thereby losing the sealed kit advantage in price. A reseal also might have the seal seam in an odd place like across the front of the box. The manufacturer would never do that.

Edited by lordairgtar
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, lordairgtar said:

Ollies can be hit or miss when it comes to selections.  As far as missing wheels go and it being a sealed kit...Ollies puts there price tag on the kit after taking the manufacturer's wrapping off, and then reseals the kit. They could have lost the tires in that manner. The reason Ollies does this is because a lot of people buy the kits and resell on eBay  or other places after removing a price tag from a discount house. Now the only way to remove Ollies tag is to remove the wrap and thereby losing the sealed kit advantage in price. A reseal also might have the seal seam in an odd place like across the front of the box. The manufacturer would never do that.

That may be true, but people still purchase these kits off eBay Ollie’s tag or not. Lot of sellers will use a marker to mark out the price on the Ollie’s tag as if people are idiots! But there’s probably people out there that’s never seen an Ollie’s tag before. 

Got this few DayZ ago for a very good price💚

I have a soft spot for those kit 💚

All sealed and shrink wrap form factory 👌

Dated 1975 😳

Now I wonder should I build it or resell it (I know there is re- issue of it ...)

Screenshot_2023-12-18-18-57-47-10_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

Screenshot_2023-12-18-18-57-54-65_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

.Ollies puts there price tag on the kit

yes the boxes of Monogram kit's have the tag under the sealed plastic, But the AMT kits such as the Trailer all were on the outside plastic wrap..

16 hours ago, Dpate said:

That may be true, but people still purchase these kits off eBay Ollie’s tag or not. Lot of sellers will use a marker to mark out the price on the Ollie’s tag as if people are idiots! But there’s probably people out there that’s never seen an Ollie’s tag before. 

I've never had the pleasure as most here have of going to a local or neighboring Ollie's. I wish we had one nearby. Desirable kit subjects or not you can't beat those kits prices. But I will say that if I saw that a kit appears to have been re-shrunk wrapped I would walk away from it. Same goes with buying off the internet such as on eBay. I scrutinize every photo for authenticity before buying. I've passed up several kits that looked like it had been shrunk wrapped improperly or vintage kits with the improper parts from a later issued kit. There's always a scammer somewhere trying to make a fast and easy buck..😡

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

I've never had the pleasure as most here have of going to a local or neighboring Ollie's.

Don't lose too much sleep over that. I visited an Ollie's about an hour away from me and it wasn't a great experience. The store was dirty, the cashier was surly and the whole place felt horrible. But then, again, it was just before Christmas.  They had 5 Monogram kits to choose from and I took home three.  I'll probably never go back unless I'm just in the neighborhood.

19 minutes ago, redscampi said:

Don't lose too much sleep over that. I visited an Ollie's about an hour away from me and it wasn't a great experience. The store was dirty, the cashier was surly and the whole place felt horrible. But then, again, it was just before Christmas.  They had 5 Monogram kits to choose from and I took home three.  I'll probably never go back unless I'm just in the neighborhood.

Yeah, nothing special..there was an Ollies about a mile and 1/2 from me at my previous house, went a few times the 6 years I lived there..they never had anything special, just older kits that I already had. 

I made another purchase from a great friend/vendor in London, ON. On top of my purchases, he included some issues of a Japanese race-focused magazine called R'On. It has great colour photography with some Group C content from '89. In the Mini, he included a bonus sprue bag which included the wheels/tires and an engine. He also included a free Tamiya Honda Fit. The Honda Fit was one of the kits my students built when I offered my After School Program. I finally decided to try ordering from AliExpress for the first time. My Dspiae Stepless Circle Cutter arrived today and it took less than three weeks.

2024-01-04 a.jpg

2024-01-04 b.jpg

2024-01-04 c.jpg

2024-01-04 d.jpg

2024-01-04 f.jpg

2024-01-04 e.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

I made another purchase from a great friend/vendor in London, ON. On top of my purchases, he included some issues of a Japanese race-focused magazine called R'On. It has great colour photography with some Group C content from '89. In the Mini, he included a bonus sprue bag which included the wheels/tires and an engine. He also included a free Tamiya Honda Fit. The Honda Fit was one of the kits my students built when I offered my After School Program. I finally decided to try ordering from AliExpress for the first time. My Dspiae Stepless Circle Cutter arrived today and it took less than three weeks.

2024-01-04 a.jpg

🤔° I really like that van.. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Another box to check off on the list! Arrived in the mail today. The decals are questionable and it's missing the instruction sheet but the chrome is perfect and all the parts are present. 🤔°°So now the paper hunt begins!

20240104_170020(1).jpg

Ah, yes! The good old MPC '71 Wild/Mild boxes! I've had three or four of them over the years, but the only one I have now is the Vega. They're pretty silly.

This morning my good friends Peter (Penetanguishene, ON) and Ken (Perth, ON) converged on one of our favourite LHSs, Dailey Hobbies (Whitby, ON). I had some kits to pass along to Ken. The store, much to my chagrin/delight, had some extraordinarily good prices on some Hasegawa kits. Needless to say, I couldn't resist and came home with three. As well, Peter asked if I had a set of these. He was referring to the the drill bit set pictured. When I said no, he told me then these are for you. I am lucky to have such great friends.

2024-01-05 B.jpg

2024-01-05 A.jpg

• Like 3