Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

3 hours ago, redscampi said:

Got this 510 yesterday. One of my needful things cars. The body parts were badly painted but they're out of the pond and came out perfect. Kit is otherwise mint inside the box.

510.jpg

I've always liked the look of the Datsuns..  Funny thing, when you all post your kits my list gets longer!  Thanks... In a good way. 

• Haha 1

I'd never seen that Hot Rod Celica model before. Wonder how much the actual kit resembles the box art.

Had a '77 Celica like that and it was a lot of fun to drive. Handled great.

1 hour ago, TonyK said:

I'd never seen that Hot Rod Celica model before. Wonder how much the actual kit resembles the box art.

Had a '77 Celica like that and it was a lot of fun to drive. Handled great.

The box art is a little exaggerating. The rear tires on the box look large like a L50 or so. The ones in the kit are not as wide as pictured on the box.  Without tearing into the bags the chassis looks like it may have a slightly jacked up ass-end. It has predetermined positioned holes to house the axle rods. Basically its a detailed curbside kit.

20240109_184722.jpg

On 1/9/2024 at 5:41 PM, Daddyfink said:

I got some Gotti's, now I need them in resin! LOL! And yes, the 1200 is killer! I passed on one back in the 80's because it wasn't a  510, and I regret it. The guy only wanted $75 for it! Just had a bad head gasket. 

image.png.8e09f633a06b76d0f0ed69be84af2c91.png

Very nice!

Code on the ones i got is SRP 015 if you want to try and find some closer to home. They're supposedly 15", but to me seem more like 14". I might try them with some different tyres.

The 1200 was a very endearing little thing to drive. Mine was very basic with no carpet or radio, but the little A12 engine and light weight made it fun to nip around in on the country roads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Very nice!

Code on the ones i got is SRP 015 if you want to try and find some closer to home. They're supposedly 15", but to me seem more like 14". I might try them with some different tyres.

The 1200 was a very endearing little thing to drive. Mine was very basic with no carpet or radio, but the little A12 engine and light weight made it fun to nip around in on the country roads.

Did you get them through Hiroboy?

On 1/9/2024 at 12:26 PM, redscampi said:

Got this 510 yesterday. One of my needful things cars. The body parts were badly painted but they're out of the pond and came out perfect. Kit is otherwise mint inside the box.

The other kits I just won early this morning. I had been watching these for a week or so and the seller finally sent an offer I couldn't refuse. What worked out to $16 each shipped was too good a deal for me to pass on. Seller stated that he didn't know if any were complete, but they look pretty close to me. Will inventory when they arrive. I realize they're not the most desirable but they are all early issues, 60's and 70s kits and this sure beats a trip to Ollies or Walmart to pick over the leavings.

510.jpg

fourby.jpg

Nice haul, Gary!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 3:47 PM, atomicholiday said:

This bucket list kit arrived today.  Sealed bag inside, and the decals look like they were printed yesterday.👍

IMG_3661.jpeg.19b2fbb0f4230fe76c72264f14cafaa8.jpeg

I plan an getting one of those Lord willing!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Did you get them through Hiroboy?

I did.

It looks like this Aoshima kit has something similar, although I'm not sure if they'd be as nicely detailed: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10736540

I found that a set of 14" tyres from a Fujimi kit fitted them nicely - they had a slightly taller profile and less of a stretched look.

Got these two Vettes. I love Corvettes but for some reason models of them seem a bit blah to me. Maybe because there are so many of them. Mustangs have the same effect on me. I grabbed these to see if I can shake the Corvette malaise. 

IMG_0260.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I did.

It looks like this Aoshima kit has something similar, although I'm not sure if they'd be as nicely detailed: https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10736540

I found that a set of 14" tyres from a Fujimi kit fitted them nicely - they had a slightly taller profile and less of a stretched look.

Oh wow! Finally, they kitted the wheels! Looks like I will be going to order one of those instead. Thanks for the link! 

17 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Oh wow! Finally, they kitted the wheels! Looks like I will be going to order one of those instead. Thanks for the link! 

Be aware, the photos at that link are a bit deceiving in that most photos are of the model, but the photos of the wheels are of 1:1 wheels, not the actual kit wheels.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Be aware, the photos at that link are a bit deceiving in that most photos are of the model, but the photos of the wheels are of 1:1 wheels, not the actual kit wheels.

True, but they could also be Pre Production images of the box mock up. Unless the kit is already out on the market. But yeah, that photo of the wheels blanked out makes you take note. 

22 hours ago, redscampi said:

Got these two Vettes. I love Corvettes but for some reason models of them seem a bit blah to me. Maybe because there are so many of them. Mustangs have the same effect on me. I grabbed these to see if I can shake the Corvette malaise. 

IMG_0260.jpeg

If you look at the rocker area of the '59 it is rather square, the nice thing is the mold is thick enough to sand some decent "roundness" to them. Do a lot of test fitting on the bumper/grill/valance before painting. Engine is subpar to say the least, but it is a pretty old tool. Just some FYI's

The '55 is a very nice kit in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

If you look at the rocker area of the '59 it is rather square, the nice thing is the mold is thick enough to sand some decent "roundness" to them. Do a lot of test fitting on the bumper/grill/valance before painting. Engine is subpar to say the least, but it is a pretty old tool. Just some FYI's

The '55 is a very nice kit in my opinion.

Thanks for your advice and insight on these. I really am warming up to both of them. Not being a purist I won’t mind swapping in something better in the motor department. 

This came in today. Haven’t used it yet, but have held it, and feels pretty good in the hand. $54 after 20% off so to good to pass up. Definitely doesn’t feel as good in my hand as iwata though. Had to see what all the hype is about. 
IMG_2039.thumb.jpeg.e2040970fc3405b22d7a85736494db96.jpeg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

True, but they could also be Pre Production images of the box mock up. Unless the kit is already out on the market. But yeah, that photo of the wheels blanked out makes you take note. 

Looks like they're there, along with another set of wheels:

image.png.ba21aad35e7b68d99cf314c5939549de.png

Black set appear to be ubiquitous Watanabes.

I don't really want another G-nose Z, otherwise I'd have been tempted to get this one as a source of those wheels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was late arriving at my Group 25 club meeting yesterday. A good friend Doug, purchased this kit from a member who was selling, with me in mind. My sincere appreciation to Doug for his thoughtful gesture.

2024-01-13.jpg

• Like 3