Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Straight from the shelves of Spotlight Hobbies to my mailbox.. I've been watching this kit for two years? with hope that some day I would be lucky to "wind" up owning one of these crazy fictional show rod kits. That day came and I wasn't about to lose out as I have in the past with other hard to get kits on my list and have regrets. 

20240427_145509(1).jpg

• Like 4

Well my wallet hates me, but these bad boys came in today. I wasn’t expecting them till Monday. All the way from Japan from my favorite Japan hobby shop Plaza Japan.  Not my biggest order from them, but the 1/12 Porsche made up half of the order. 
IMG_2421.thumb.jpeg.509607512edbdb1dda1496d7575e0d52.jpeg

IMG_2422.thumb.jpeg.4a8e981100552f938107fe6e0a7c2599.jpeg

IMG_2423.thumb.jpeg.a13e27a358ebe7c6cfc0993d1b3d1278.jpeg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Straight from the shelves of Spotlight Hobbies to my mailbox.. I've been watching this kit for two years? with hope that some day I would be lucky to "wind" up owning one of these crazy fictional show rod kits. That day came and I wasn't about to lose out as I have in the past with other hard to get kits on my list and have regrets. 

20240427_145509(1).jpg

Nice!  Congrats!! I’ve wanted one of these for a while myself!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

20240427_145509(1).jpg

Nice score ! glad I could help you fined one !

• Like 2

Having built a greenhouse for my wife just ten years ago, she wants me to build another but a shade smaller! But this one won't be growing real tomatoes/cucumbers/chillies/flowers or peppers, just scale model versions!

photo-vi.jpg

Edited by PatW
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Nice score ! glad I could help you fined one !

I've was contemplating the one on eBay from Japan but the box was in rough shape and they wouldn't come down in enough in their asking price when I made an offer. This one from Spotlight Hobbies seemed to a better deal all around. As I read the Koo~Koo~Kar thread comments the one that sticks in my head now is what MIKOS said about resealing kits.. I know that Model Round up will seal an opened vintage kit for protection and care as they acknowledge in their descriptions. It has put that thought of what if in my head.. But as I said it will get opened eventually but not till I'm ready to build it. That way it'll hold its value if I keel over and the Misses has to deal with the liquidation of my collection. The things we think of when we get old...😉 Thanks for pointing in the right direction Mr. Mopar...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

3 More of these showed up , I have no idea how that happened 🙂

wsHYefY.jpg

Well when stock runs out I know who to look for 😅. I seriously forgot to get one of these, but my model kit funds are dry right now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Well when stock runs out I know who to look for 😅. I seriously forgot to get one of these, but my model kit funds are dry right now.

Yeah, I seen your post,  those big boxes don't ship over from Japan very cheap,   when you refresh funds defiantly get one, good kit.

• Like 1

One of my favorite things is parts lots - although I don’t pick them up THAT regularly.  Often they’re semi-destroyed built-ups of subjects that don’t interest me, but this little auction lot caught my eye…

IMG_1171.thumb.jpeg.653eea72db458104b636d5d9c33290b9.jpeg

IMG_1172.thumb.jpeg.0aeaca55b8db3af5a67e8ea65f092ec2.jpeg

IMG_1173.thumb.jpeg.4d021e72bfdeab09c1a5931fd7fe3838.jpeg

All kinds of cool little kustom parts - Appleton spotlights, Caddy bullet taillights, custom grills and wheels and AMT mini-trophies…I suspect most of these parts are from AMT kits actually but I’d have no idea which ones…

Weeks of fun ahead sorting thru them looking for treasures! 😍

• Like 4

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

One of my favorite things is parts lots - although I don’t pick them up THAT regularly.  Often they’re semi-destroyed built-ups of subjects that don’t interest me, but this little auction lot caught my eye…

All kinds of cool little kustom parts - Appleton spotlights, Caddy bullet taillights, custom grills and wheels and AMT mini-trophies…I suspect most of these parts are from AMT kits actually but I’d have no idea which ones…

All very nice but no tyres!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CabDriver said:

What a dream! I wish I would stumble upon a parts lot like that.

• Like 3

And today’s stash addition…

IMG_1243.thumb.jpeg.21d18b75d7f5252808a8cdfd4df03cda.jpeg

It’s not a particularly amazing kit, but I’m casually collecting Beetle and VW kits and it was only $18 shipped on Amazon…I’ll definitely get $18 of fun out of it!

• Like 3

On 4/29/2024 at 11:08 PM, CabDriver said:

I'd tackle the wheels first and come up matching sets with the matching wheel backs.. But that's just me....😊😇

I just received this in the mail today! 

1974 kit 100% complete!

I had this kit back in 1975 but it was trashed whole stores in my in laws garage by the wife's little brothers.

20240501_160237.jpg

• Like 3

Arrivals from a couple of different sellers:

IMG_0516.JPG.dbb59cdc146efa5e04aacddd35328639.JPG

I was surprised to find I hadn't already got one of the 430-series Nissan Gloria, as a hardtop sedan at least. I got a pillared version a while back, which seems to be a different, more detailed kit. It has a couple of interesting wheel sets with it which will be of use on other builds.

Wheels and tyres on the Jeep were the main draw, I need some replacements for a Land Cruiser, and maybe the chassis could go under something else?

• Like 1