Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

^^^ Any VW experts here know what year (or range of years) this kit represents? And was this based on the original 1959 kit? (I know that kit was 1/25, but they seem to share the same multi-piece body setup.)

Edited by XJ6

I get a kick out of Jaegermeister becoming a fashionable drink here in the USA.  It was never sold here, but  I remember back to when I was a kid in Germany.  It was this awful tasting drink that only old men drank to stay warm in the winter.   And suddenly it's cool?   You can sell anything with the right marketing!

The Volkswagen Type 2 T1 was made from 1950-1967.  It is a modified reissue based on the new (2010) VW Type 2 Samba Bus kit, essentially swapping out the passenger panels for a cargo van.  The body is multi-piece, but we're talking this decade multi-piece, not 1959 quality.

As for the exact year - the Samba I have is the U.S. rebox and it doesn't list a specific year.  Hasegawa did a series of T1 kits prior to Revell AG, albeit they are all curbsides that are marketed as 1967s.  I'm not sure there's any particular difference between say 1950 & 1967 - they all look the same to me from just glancing at them, but usually when Revell AG "remakes" a kit that already exists they do something slightly different (base model Mini Cooper, Charleston trim 2CV, etc).  Although maybe the kit being a full-detail model as opposed to a curbside, and being marketed towards Europe rather than Asia was enough.

A model club member who is keen on VW's said that the Samba Bus version is a 1962-3 vintage based on pieces in the kit.  I have no way to confirm or deny.  So would that put the Cargo Van in the same vintage?

^^^ Any VW experts here know what year (or range of years) this kit represents? And was this based on the original 1959 kit? (I know that kit was 1/25, but they seem to share the same multi-piece body setup.)

The history of the Volkswagen T1 transporter is legendary. Dutch importer Ben Pon member Britsh Military sketched the Box Type Van which could be built on the Beetle chassis 

From 1950 in Between Volkswagen now placed their Transporter T1 which was internally called the Type 2 as the Beetle  was known as the Type 1 

From 1950 unti it's successor the T2 came in 1967 some 1.8 million of the T1 rolled off the line 

image.jpg

A tankful of gas at 30 - 40 cents per gallon cheaper than the price of gas in my     Neighborhood 

Gas is $3.25 for 97 octane out here in CA ?

Just sayin ?

Don aka XJ6 ?

Edited by XJ6

Nice promos Andy...your killing me with these finds...LOL...

Thanks Mark. I'm sure you know the prices most of them sell for. Well, I didn't, or I should say don't/won't,  pay those prices. The Caddy may be redone at some point but the FB will get cleaned up and put in a display case with the rest of my promos. I have another FB that I already started to work on a while back.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...