Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

"Family" picture of the '70 GTO's. The newest addition in the middle.IMAG0479.thumb.jpg.973b79b3aa4e56b3fb021

I've seen a lot of these on eBay, with the boxes - did MPC make a large production run of them because of the contest? And has anyone spotted one with a different license number that may have been one of the prize winners?

I've seen a lot of these on eBay, with the boxes - did MPC make a large production run of them because of the contest? And has anyone spotted one with a different license number that may have been one of the prize winners?

If you go back to page 571 of this topic I posted a couple of pics. One is a closer look at the side panel of the box. As far as the production run, I have no idea what that was. Although, the red model seems to be the more plentiful of the red and silver models I've seen. All I can tell you about my cars is I believe all of them have 1970 Michigan plates #8199. I've never looked into the history of the contest either. The '70 GTO and "The Judge":wub: is my favorite car and I have 40, 50, more(?) of the '70 alone in different scales(1/64, 1/25, & 1/18) in plastic and die-cast. So, I'm sorry I can't really answer your question(s). I should also note that when the contest was held, late '69(new model year), I wasn't born yet.:D

Edited by The70judgeman

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I got the latest promo in the mail today. Another '70 GTO. However, this one is the best one of the 5 I now have. Not a scratch on it and the chrome is perfect. I know in the picture the wheels look like the chrome is faded, but it's just a reflection from the red body. It also came with the original box that shows a little wear, but it's very sturdy for its age.cgmc_vb.thumb.jpg.bb12dd4802031ea03ef090IMAG0478.thumb.jpg.4cb2a69653beb2f412cdd

My Grandfather got one of these in 1970 and gave it to me. Being a modeler, of course I had to pimp it out a little, ruining its collector value forever (who knew or cared at the time?). Couple years ago I dug it out, cleaned it up, and restored it as best I can. I don't really care about the lost "value," I guess, as I'm not interested in selling it anyway.

Stopped at the Merrillville Hobby Lobby after work yesterday.  Finally had lots of new stuff in stock.  First time in a while that I had a tough time deciding what to get.  Revell '57 Ford Del Rio, AMT '41 Plymouth, and MPC Cyclone stock cars were all new arrivals I wanted.  Decided to go with the Del Rio, since I've been waiting for that one for a while.

Stopped at the Merrillville Hobby Lobby after work yesterday.  Finally had lots of new stuff in stock.  First time in a while that I had a tough time deciding what to get.  Revell '57 Ford Del Rio, AMT '41 Plymouth, and MPC Cyclone stock cars were all new arrivals I wanted.  Decided to go with the Del Rio, since I've been waiting for that one for a while.

Del Rio Good Choice ??

Don aka XJ6 ?

The mailman delivered a package today.  I won a bid on EBAY for a 1/24 scale diecast model of a 1955 Pink Cadillac that Elvis bought for his Mom.  Since no model was made of a '55 Cadillac, this fills in a "hole" in my 1950's car collection.  It really is a pretty car.

1955 CADILLAC 1 (1024x759).jpg

1955 CADILLAC 2 (1024x746).jpg

1955 CADILLAC 3 (1024x748).jpg

1955 CADILLAC 4 (1024x739).jpg

1955 CADILLAC 5 (1024x717).jpg

My Grandfather got one of these in 1970 and gave it to me. Being a modeler, of course I had to pimp it out a little, ruining its collector value forever (who knew or cared at the time?). Couple years ago I dug it out, cleaned it up, and restored it as best I can. I don't really care about the lost "value," I guess, as I'm not interested in selling it anyway.

70GTO04.jpg

70GTO06.jpg

70GTO08.jpg

Still looks cool! One of mine(the one with the broken A-pillar) will eventually be taken apart, cleaned up, blah blah blah.... I'm just gonna fix it up!:D I'm not selling any of mine either.

The mailman delivered a package today.  I won a bid on EBAY for a 1/24 scale diecast model of a 1955 Pink Cadillac that Elvis bought for his Mom.  Since no model was made of a '55 Cadillac, this fills in a "hole" in my 1950's car collection.  It really is a pretty car.

1955 CADILLAC 1 (1024x759).jpg

1955 CADILLAC 2 (1024x746).jpg

1955 CADILLAC 3 (1024x748).jpg

Rich, is it true to scale?? Beautiful diecast..

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...