Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

franklinmintVW-vi.jpg

I was passing the Goodwill store and decided to take a quick look for some binders I need. I remember when binders were a dollar or two, I got sticker shock at Staples when I found they now cost $8-15 each.  So I wound up with a few for $2 each.

Then I saw this VW on the top toy shelf for $1.99.  It's a Franklin Mint 1/24 scale Beetle, body in perfect shape but missing the bumpers and the right side door handle.  Bumpers are highly over rated anyway!  I will make the necessary repairs to put it on my shelf. Biggest issue will be getting the $1.99 sticker off the roof! :lol:

Edited by Tom Geiger

Got these from someone on facebook a couple days ago... already have the blue one almost done... just trying to find some parts is all... also have more pics of these up on the MODEL CARS page of facebook just search me is all to find them

11923604_1034092016631275_12289664628198

Edited by bandit1

franklinmintVW-vi.jpg

I was passing the Goodwill store and decided to take a quick look for some binders I need. I remember when binders were a dollar or two, I got sticker shock at Staples when I found they now cost $8-15 each.  So I wound up with a few for $2 each.

Then I saw this VW on the top toy shelf for $1.99.  It's a Franklin Mint 1/24 scale Beetle, body in perfect shape but missing the bumpers and the right side door handle.  Bumpers are highly over rated anyway!  I will make the necessary repairs to put it on my shelf. Biggest issue will be getting the $1.99 sticker off the roof! :lol:

Tom your always finding some great stuff. Gave me a big smile thanks for sharing ....:)

What I got today, I actually got quite a while ago. Uhm, no, correction - What I got today was a new project. One that I have been pondering for a while. Here's the story;

About five years ago I picked up a LS Honda Accord over the counter at Dave's Hobby Shop, Freeport NY. Presumably new old stock, possibly secondhand sealed inside. Rough box, no decals and I paid $15.50 for it (!) The body looks reasonably proportioned, but the rest is not much to speak of. There is opening doors, a very rudimentary representation of an engine and the typical of the era electrical motor is also there. While on my recent vacation to my native Norway, I dug into my storage unit and retrieved my built-up full-detail Tamiya Prelude. Those kits are getting hard to find nowadays, so I will sacrifice / re-use the one I have. The plan is, as you might have guessed, to try to use the Prelude engine and chassis underneath the Accord body. Yes, yes I know that although the Accord and prelude are related cars, mine two represent different generations. This is the closest thing I can reasonably get my hands on, so this is how it will be. When the time comes. I just need to finish off some other projects first..

Finally managed to nail down one of these '55 Chevy 2-ton trucks cheap-ish; for something that's been reissued the prices have sure been high:

55_chevy_2-ton.thumb.JPG.7360aadac26626c

Like Lysleder above with the Hondas, the idea here is to combine this kit with a more "toy-like" one:

superior_bus_model.thumb.JPG.be57c47b9a7

It's a 1/48 scale toy bank given away circa 1957 by the Superior Coach Federal Credit Union. Pretty accurate except the windshield is too much of a V shape. I could make this into a good approximation of the Partridge Family bus, but I'm not that ambitious...

The Chevy kit appears to be missing one rear spring and the driver's seat, so if anybody has those, I can trade some of the bits I won't be using.

(Like I don't have enough projects already, but I love a challenge!)

Also got a set of NOS '61 Pontiac wheelcovers for my Franken-Bonneville.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

those gearboxes are available like dirt. thanks for chiming in.

jb

What's up with you, anyway?

The bellhousings and the oil pans in the nailhead parts-packs are unique to that packaging, and the gearbox with the separate shifter linkage in the same pack is a nice bonus.

Why do you want to argue about EVERYTHING?

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...