Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Went to my LHS to pick up some paint and see if they had the latest issue of MCM and talking to the owner I found out he stocks Parts by Parks products, picked up a distributor for the 41 Plymouth I'm working on. But the big score was the AMT 60 Ford Starliner marked at $19.95. I know its not a rare kit and I have no emotional attachment to the car other than it's neat but its normally priced close to 35 or above, in fact there's one on E-bay right now over 50. This kit may bump up to the next project for me.

60fordbt

Sometimes you strike out at estate sales, but sometimes you score. Case in point - I spotted this photo on the sale website:

65_rambler.thumb.jpg.4a5d777964dbe6b59ab

Hmm. So I drove out to Palatine in the rain at 5:30 AM and got my name on the waiting list to go in (#6). At 9:00 when they opened, luckily the five people in front of me weren't after models, so I snagged these:

65_rambler2.thumb.JPG.e6cc40470fed79b609

The '65 Rambler American promo is very cherry other than a little rubbing on the bumper corners; it's a keeper. The '32 roadster is the 1964 Ford promo issue with some parts off the trees and a few small tire marks, but all there including perfect decals and the note from Ford in the bottom of the box. The '49 Ford promo is the first version, with the suicide rear doors, in a metallic gunmetal color. Needs a good cleaning but has little of the usual warpage/shrinkage in the body.

I think the two Fords may be trading material, although the blown Chrysler in the roadster kit would look good shoehorned into my ITC '40 Mercury (it's going to be built as a gasser when I get the parts together and fix the body so it actually looks like a Mercury).

Best part: paid $9.00 for all three and I couldn't get out of that house fast enough - after thanking the sale staff. :D

Edited by ChrisBcritter

All 3, complete, about $20. A deal for me 'cause I have about an infinite number of ideas for '32 Fords. The AMT phaeton is one of the 2 AMT '32 kits that doesn't have the awful blobular chassis. And though the chassis in the old Switchers kit looks absolutely nothing like a real '32, the rest of the kit is actually pretty good...with a lot of optional parts.

$_57.JPG

Sometimes you strike out at estate sales, but sometimes you score. Case in point - I spotted this photo on the sale website:

65_rambler.thumb.jpg.4a5d777964dbe6b59ab

Hmm. So I drove out to Palatine in the rain at 5:30 AM and got my name on the waiting list to go in (#6). At 9:00 when they opened, luckily the five people in front of me weren't after models, so I snagged these:

65_rambler2.thumb.JPG.e6cc40470fed79b609

The '65 Rambler American promo is very cherry other that a little rubbing on the bumper corners; it's a keeper. The '32 roadster is the 1964 Ford promo issue with some parts off the trees and a few small tire marks, but all there including perfect decals and the note from Ford in the bottom of the box. The '49 Ford promo is the first version, with the suicide rear doors, in a metallic gunmetal color. Needs a good cleaning but has little of the usual warpage/shrinkage in the body.

I think the two Fords may be trading material, although the blown Chrysler in the roadster kit would look good shoehorned into my ITC '40 Mercury (it's going to be built as a gasser when I get the parts together and fix the body so it actually looks like a Mercury).

Best part: paid $9.00 for all three and I couldn't get out of that house fast enough - after thanking the sale staff. :D

Very nice find. You can't beat the price.

All 3, complete, about $20. A deal for me 'cause I have about an infinite number of ideas for '32 Fords. The AMT phaeton is one of the 2 AMT '32 kits that doesn't have the awful blobular chassis. And though the chassis in the old Switchers kit looks absolutely nothing like a real '32, the rest of the kit is actually pretty good...with a lot of optional parts.

$_57.JPG

Nice score Bill, always liked the switchers kit..

Went to my LHS to check on my order of '29s that I ordered....(still not here!!). The owner knows I'm into car kits, and asked if I would be interested in a Monogram '32 Ford that was incomplete, but said there were some other bits in the box. I had a very quick glance in the box, and agreed to give him $5 Cdn.  Most of the '32 was there, along with 3 pickup boxes from the '34 Ford kit. And the bonus was a build up of the AMT '29 Ford roadster! Put a big grin on my face!

20150911_152925.jpg

Edited by wayne swayze
add photo

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...