Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I recently, within the last six months or so, added the IMC Avenger GT-12. Very cool kit. I hunted for one for a couple years. Happy to say, the one I got was unbuilt and complete.

I also hunted  for an untouched issue for awhile, Im not sure but I dont think it was ever reissued.

Very cool Tommy!

Who is the caster?

Steve

I dont know,there was no description,but if i where to guess,maby R&R? 

Just glad i dont have to look for a 62 full size anymore,the kit`s are quite rare,and when they

come up the bidding go way beyond my pockets. 

A few more to add to the stash.

Actually won 2 - 1964 Buick convertibles. 1st one has the box and the up top. I think the drivers door is cut to open it ( didnt realize that when I made my bid. )

s-l1600.jpg

2nd one looks a little better . so once I have them both in hand I'll keep the best one and the up top and I'll sell or trade the  other

s-l1600.jpg

And finally also picked up a 65 Buick hardtop . I usually don't go after cars with a roof. But my parents had one that I learned to drive in ( back in the mid 70s )  ,,,this one was reasonable so I thought what the heck and grabbed it to. Someday It'll be gold with black interior to replicate my parents old car.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by gtx6970

Actually won 2 - 1964 Buick convertibles. 1st one has the box and the up top. I think the drivers door is cut to open it ( didnt realize that when I made my bid. )

s-l1600.jpg

2nd one looks a little better . so once I have them both in hand I'll keep the best one and the up top and I'll sell or trade the  other

And finally also picked up a 65 Buick hardtop . I usually don't go after cars with a roof. But my parents had one that I learned to drive in ( back in the mid 70s )  ,,,this one was reasonable so I thought what the heck and grabbed it to. Someday It'll be gold with black interior to replicate my parents old car.

If that box still has the headrest/tonneau cover in it, and you're not going to use it, I think I could. Been wanting to do a custom '66 Wildcat with that sort of setup. Never realized the '64 kit had it. Keep me in mind. B)

I just picked up the revell Giant Tracks, 1/16th Chevy pickup. Been watching for one to come up that wouldnt break the bank. I built a couple of them as a kid and really wanted to get another, now that my patients is a lot better. Worst part is it will probably sit in the stash and never get built (I have a few High Rollers, some snap tite ford pickups as well)

1_1.jpg

1%204.jpg

2_2.jpg

3_2.jpg

69 Galaxie/LTD fixer,missing engine,good condition otherwise. Another 69 Coronet and a 65 Coronet junker/parts car followed it. 69 Chevrolet Impala

wagon i plan on do a Kingswood out of with the faux wood and hidden headlight grill. 1950 Lincoln/Mercury +a bit of Buick,i thought it was so cool

i had to get it,was planning on get the 51 Mercury,but changed my mind. The fender skirts got to go,the rest is pretty nice custom touches.

Tommy,

I love those. Back in high school, a very good friend of mine's dad had a black '69 Kingswood Estate Wagon, which was loaded with factory equipment including the hideaways. Several years ago, I was able to get my hands on a Modelhaus '67 Chevy Impala Wagon, which I converted into a Caprice Estate Wagon, painted like my friend's car.

I also built a '69 Chevy Impala SS 427, which is also black, with the Hideaways.

2008_11211964Valiant0002.jpg

Edited by Ron Hamilton

Tommy,

I love those. Back in high school, a very good friend of mine's dad had a black '69 Kingswood Estate Wagon, which was loaded with factory equipment including the hideaways. Several years ago, I was able to get my hands on a Modelhaus '67 Chevy Impala Wagon, which I converted into a Caprice Estate Wagon, painted like my friend's car.

I also built a '69 Chevy Impala SS 427, which is also black, with the Hideaways.

2008_11211964Valiant0002.jpg

Ron

Do you have any of those under glass on this forum? I would love to see them,you always have these cool subjects and great builds.

I seen that black 69 SS on Pinterest,should figured who built it,looks awsome.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Great haul of big beautiful Buick`s. The one with the box must been on Ebay for over a month now,glad to see it in good hands. 

Jealous of that 65 ;)

If that box still has the headrest/tonneau cover in it, and you're not going to use it, I think I could. Been wanting to do a custom '66 Wildcat with that sort of setup. Never realized the '64 kit had it. Keep me in mind. B)

will do. If its in there...its yours as i have no use for it

Toy Show Sunday:

Deal of the Day/Week/Month/Year: Original annual AMT '67 Corvette coupe, very cleanly built and complete, $8. Yes, eight frogs. When the guy quoted the price I almost sprained my wrist reaching for my wallet. I THINK he thought it was a common, oft-reissued MPC '67, or perhaps a common, oft-reissued AMT '63. But no, it's the real deal. Hell, the original AMT '67 Rally Wheels on it would be worth $8. It's painted a shade of purple not too far off '67 Chevy Royal Plum. Yes, I know that color wasn't available on Corvette, but there were "special order" paint jobs available back then, right? The paint is so nicely done I think I'm just gonna clean the thing up and "restore" it as-is, instead of stripping it down and starting over. At least for right now.

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

And here it is, in all its glory.

I gloated too soon. Upon examination at home, turns out the Original Builder had cleanly sanded off the rear deck Corvette emblem, and the crossed flags on the nose. And filled in the rotating headlight panel lines. So it can't be restored “stock” as-is. And of course the paint is a nonstandard color. And the wheels aren't AMT '67s, they seem to be '68+ MPCs.

Ah shucks oh well. Still worth way more than eight bucks.

It's in such clean shape, it's gone to the head of the line at the Snakepit Sting Ray Rescue & Resto shop. Only thing I've done to it in these pics is, I've polished off part of the badly-done silver paint on the windshield frame, along the top. It's still on the A-post to give you some idea of why it had to come off. Rubbing alcohol wouldn't take it off, as it sometimes will, so I had to polish it off with Wrights.

Fortunately, the paint, whatever it is, seems VERY tough and durable. Judging from overspray on the inside of the body, it's some kind of candy purple or candy red over black primer. The color looks quite “plum” in these pics, which I lightened a little for better netposting. In real life, it looks black—unless you set it next to something that's really black, or look at it in strong light, and then purple/plum-ish tone comes through.

Since I took the pics, the body has been cleaned up, and pretty nicely too. Since it's not stock, I'll probably put some sort of cool wheels on it and call it a Day Two cruiser. The glass needs to be polished, and the rocker panels will have to be cleaned up (looks like they had side exhaust glued to them at some point), and I'll redo all the windo trim with a Silver Sharpie, but at this point it shouldn't need much more work to be shelf-ready than one of my typical $20 diecast jobs (a couple hours). How I love bringing some sad, poor abused pup home from the shelter and showing it some love!

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Snake45/media/Model%20Cars/Corvette%20Restos/AMT67VetteHTB02_zpsd0vt6cni.jpg.html][/URL]

At least you have a decent chance of straightening out a warped chassis. Some parts are nearly impossible to fix.

I've actually managed to straighten it some so mocked up the kit sits level. I have to tape the chassis and body together to do this, and I'm hoping the tape will help correct the warp some. Still not very happy with Revell tho, these are QC issues that really shouldnt be happening now a days. If it wasnt as common as it seems to be I could understand that sometimes bad parts get threw QC, but seems many of their new kits have these issues. Just for me, this year, 2x Porsche 918 Spyder, one from original purchase and the replacement from Revell warped as well. Corvette C7R, warped chassis, Ferrari 458, warped chassis, and now this Mercedes AMG, again a warped chassis. My chrome tree was also bent up pretty good but it didnt effect any of the parts. And I remember a thread where a lot of people were complaining about the Ramcharger with similar issues. I think all these warped parts are from parts trees either being pulled from the molds too soon or not allowing the plastic to cure enough before packaging them. QC issues that Revell really needs to look at. I've never had a Tamiya kit with warped parts, only issue I ever had from with a Tamiya kit was a missing tire bag. Aoshima kits, never a warped tree. Hopefully this is an issue Revell will address in the New Year.

Fortunately, the paint, whatever it is, seems VERY tough and durable. Judging from overspray on the inside of the body, it's some kind of candy purple or candy red over black primer. The color looks quite “plum” in these pics, which I lightened a little for better netposting. In real life, it looks black—unless you set it next to something that's really black, or look at it in strong light, and then purple/plum-ish tone comes through.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Snake45/media/Model%20Cars/Corvette%20Restos/AMT67VetteHTB02_zpsd0vt6cni.jpg.html]AMT67VetteHTB02_zpsd0vt6cni.jpg[/URL]

AMT67VetteHTB04_zpscvyrenyp.jpg

Testors used to make a Candy Pink that looked EXACTLY like that when sprayed over black.  Back in the '80s my brother had a can he wasn't going to use, so he gave it to me.  When sprayed over white or silver it was a very bright sort of magenta shade (they may have called it candy purple, but it definitely was closest to pink).  Being young and poor, I was dead set on using it, so I decided to spray it over Testors black on a Johan Comet Pro Stock kit.

Turned out the way you describe: looked black under normal light, unless it was next to one of my pure black models.  You could also see the plum effect if it was in bright sunlight.  I was quite pleased with the results at the time, and it was one of my favorite builds.

Later in the '90s I decided to blow it apart and try to rebuild it closer to factory stock (the nose up stance was totally out of vogue in 1:1 at the time).  Stripped the body in Pine Sol, and everything has been sitting in a box ever since.  Now I wish I would have let it be...

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...