Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

69 Galaxie/LTD fixer,missing engine,good condition otherwise. Another 69 Coronet and a 65 Coronet junker/parts car followed it. 69 Chevrolet Impala

wagon i plan on do a Kingswood out of with the faux wood and hidden headlight grill. 1950 Lincoln/Mercury +a bit of Buick,i thought it was so cool

i had to get it,was planning on get the 51 Mercury,but changed my mind. The fender skirts got to go,the rest is pretty nice custom touches.

1_1.jpg

1%204.jpg

2_2.jpg

3_2.jpg

69 Galaxie/LTD fixer,missing engine,good condition otherwise. Another 69 Coronet and a 65 Coronet junker/parts car followed it. 69 Chevrolet Impala

wagon i plan on do a Kingswood out of with the faux wood and hidden headlight grill. 1950 Lincoln/Mercury +a bit of Buick,i thought it was so cool

i had to get it,was planning on get the 51 Mercury,but changed my mind. The fender skirts got to go,the rest is pretty nice custom touches.

Tommy...I love the wagon..awesome..!  We owned several wagons id love to build replicas of...one was a 69 Chevy wagon...COOL..!

I picked this up at Michaels with a 50% off coupon. Flat black brush paint was the main reason for going, but they didn't have any. The row for flat black was filled with gloss black. Now I have to order it on line because they're the only hobby store within a short distance.

Went to a big flea market, very few model kits available and none I wanted.  Did pick up a cheap Motor Max 1/24 die-cast - the 1980's Dodge Diplomat, California Highway Patrol. Missing 1 side mirror and the hood ornament.  The interior has no police gear, not even a radio.  So I'm thinking of adding some details like that and generally spiffing it up.  I'm pretty sure the Diplomat will never be available as a 1/24 plastic kit.

I'm a big fan of the Olds Toronado, so I've been wanting one of these for a long time.

I got to see the real thing a few years ago in the "Stars Cars" museum in Gatlinburg, TN. I wonder if the museum is still standing? (God bless those folks down there after the tragic wildfires). 

For you folks who are too young to remember (or who weren't even born yet!), this car was the ride of private detective Joe Mannix (actor Mike Connors) in the hit TV series "Mannix", which was on the air from 1967 - 1975. As you might have guessed, it's a "Barris" custom made for the TV series, and was based on a '66 Toronado. Ironically, they only used the fancy Toronado for the first season, then switched over to a Dodge Dart convertible when Chrysler became a sponsor of the show. Seems like a big demotion to me for our hero detective to go from the luxurious Toronado down to a Dart (with apologies to you Dart fans out there). ? Mannix got a sportier ride in later seasons with a Baracuda, a Challenger, and then a Camaro....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by ToyLvr
New Info

Another early Christmas present to myself. I've been crazy about the Chrysler Turbine car ever since I saw one when I was a kid. Since then, I've bought and (attempted to) build several of the JoHan GC-300 Turbine car kits, and have bought other kits of Turbine-powered cars for my collection. I thought I had seen them all, but only recently discovered the existence of this MPC Camaro. It's a really nice kit, and I was fortunate to find an unbuilt example in mint condition.

The turbine engine, exhaust system, and related parts in this kit have a striking resemblance to the JoHan GC-300 kit....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by ToyLvr

I'm a big fan of the Olds Toronado, so I've been wanting one of these for a long time.

I got to see the real thing a few years ago in the "Stars Cars" museum in Gatlinburg, TN. I wonder if the museum is still standing? (God bless those folks down there after the tragic wildfires). 

For you folks who are too young to remember (or who weren't even born yet!), this car was the ride of private detective Joe Mannix (actor Mike Connors) in the hit TV series "Mannix", which was on the air from 1967 - 1975. As you might have guessed, it's a "Barris" custom made for the TV series, and was based on a '66 Toronado. Ironically, they only used the fancy Toronado for the first season, then switched over to a Dodge Dart convertible when Chrysler became a sponsor of the show. Seems like a big demotion to me for our hero detective to go from the luxurious Toronado down to a Dart (with apologies to you Dart fans out there). ? Mannix got a sportier ride in later seasons with a Baracuda, a Challenger, and then a Camaro....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My first real car was a 72 Toronado....my dad owned a 67,68,70 once...man did they run.

Another early Christmas present to myself. I've been crazy about the Chrysler Turbine car ever since I saw one when I was a kid. Since then, I've bought and (attempted to) build several of the JoHan GC-300 Turbine car kits, and have bought other kits of Turbine-powered cars for my collection. I thought I had seen them all, but only recently discovered the existence of this MPC Camaro. It's a really nice kit, and I was fortunate to find an unbuilt example in mint condition.

The turbine engine, exhaust system, and related parts in this kit have a striking resemblance to the JoHan GC-300 kit....

image.jpeg

Here's what one of those looks like, as built by a semitalented 15-YO in 1969:

Toy Show Sunday: Scored a Revell '59 (? Whichever one it is that has the multi-piece body) Corvette NIB with instructions and cardboard cutout diorama display stand for $12. Another possible organ donor for my quest to kitbash a '61. We'll see.

Deal of the Day/Week/Month/Year: Original annual AMT '67 Corvette coupe, very cleanly built and complete, $8. Yes, eight frogs. When the guy quoted the price I almost sprained my wrist reaching for my wallet. I THINK he thought it was a common, oft-reissued MPC '67, or perhaps a common, oft-reissued AMT '63. But no, it's the real deal. Hell, the original AMT '67 Rally Wheels on it would be worth $8. It's painted a shade of purple not too far off '67 Chevy Royal Plum. Yes, I know that color wasn't available on Corvette, but there were "special order" paint jobs available back then, right? The paint is so nicely done I think I'm just gonna clean the thing up and "restore" it as-is, instead of stripping it down and starting over. At least for right now.

Was so happy with this deal that I didn't give the guy any grief over a very slightly distressed '63 Corvette diecast he wanted $15 for. I'd planned to offer him ten for the thing, but was so pants-wetting overjoyed about the '67 that I figgered $23 for the pair of them was still a steal. Hell, the '67 would have been a steal all by itself at $30. I could easily flip it on eBay for at least $40--at least $50 if I put it in an original box with original instruction sheet, which I'm pretty sure I have.

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

I really need to make it up to that toy show one of these months.

I know a lot of folks don't like this thread, as they view it as showing off at times (when folks score great deals or show that rare kit they just got), but it is one of my favorite threads. I often get to see things that I didn't know existed and get new ideas for future projects.

Went to the Tinley Park Toy and Model swaps today AKA Old Hillside Show for those in my area , and I was able to keep my cost down by purchasing only a few things I didnt need:D

A mint inside

DSC07852

DSC07853DSC07856DSC07857

these old service trucks and a 66 modified with out a box on the cheap  DSC07855

Edited by BIGTRUCK

I went to a local Hobby Shop as they had received a collection of a long time model builder who just passed away. There was a big bunch of old kits mostly from the '70s and '80s and while they were not especially cheap, they weren't really expensive either, I had to buy a '74 Malibu Stock Car and Jo-Han '63 Fury. Both of them are opened, but pretty much all parts are there in mint condition.

That Malibu will be built box stock with some additional detailing (If I can save those old decals) and Fury will be a Super Stock car some day...

DSCN7839_zpskmgneoni.jpg

Not today but I recently got this off feeBay. I've been looking for one for a while. I'd be embarrassed to say what I paid.

It's soaking in Purple Power at the moment. It had 3 different colors on it. The top coat is some kind of funky paint. Once it started to come off the rest is stripping easily (for the most part).

Mostly complete, parts from the '62 should get me most of what I need. I'm looking for an AMT kit, prefer one of the white ones.

vette%2061a_zps8yiz6r1n.jpg

vette%2061c_zpsx6t9y1iy.jpg

vette%2061e_zpshhiyfbwl.jpg

Edited by DPNM

Great bargain at the Waukesha, WI show yesterday. I was able to get this sealed Ertl International Transtar Eagle II with a little help from Ulysses and Abe:

Picked up a Revell '93 Civic Coupe, MPC Sod Buster and a parts '88 Turbo T-bird and Midget racer trailer, too. 

Went to the Tinley Park Toy and Model swaps today AKA Old Hillside Show for those in my area , and I was able to keep my cost down by purchasing only a few things I didnt need:D

A mint inside

DSC07852

I recently, within the last six months or so, added the IMC Avenger GT-12. Very cool kit. I hunted for one for a couple years. Happy to say, the one I got was unbuilt and complete.

I recently, within the last six months or so, added the IMC Avenger GT-12. Very cool kit. I hunted for one for a couple years. Happy to say, the one I got was unbuilt and complete.

Is it a good kit to build.?? I have been really curious about that...

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...