Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Nice stands and a great purchase tom. Just beware that the top will come off the base if you turn it over. I was not happy when it happened to me. Just tape or glue the two parts together.

I love the Tamiya paint stands. And I've never had a problem with mine coming apart on its own. At the same time, why flip one over with a model attached? Why take the risks? If your trying to paint the inside on a body while it's on the stand. Just lift the stand and spray from below the model. Air bushes and spray cans will spray in an upward direction. So it works out just fine.

R. Scott Aho

Just came today.

In very good condition!

Should make a great project! :)

Steve

DSCN5642DSCN5643

Project ,,,heck no. I would maybe detail the trim  and emblems and display it just as it is . Put a trailer hitch on it and maybe an old boat back there.

Or send it to me and I'll do just that.

I LIKE THAT ,,,,, This an ebay buy ? if so how did I miss it

Edited by gtx6970

Project ,,,heck no. I would maybe detail the trim  and emblems and display it just as it is . Put a trailer hitch on it and maybe an old boat back there.

Or send it to me and I'll do just that.

I LIKE THAT ,,,,, This an ebay buy ? if so how did I mist it

Yes Bill, I found it on ebay.

It was one of those auctions that ended in the middle of the week, so the price didn't go off the charts.

You probably know how tough these '60s are to find in nice shape, so it still wasn't cheap, but for me it was manageable.

I paid a little under $100.00 for it.

You know me, I won't leave it like it is. :P

It will go back to completely stock at some point, probably sporting a light turquoise & white 2-tone paint job.

I'm wondering at this point if a period correct 6 cylinder engine could be found for it.

The task at hand at the moment will be to find a set of stock wheel covers, & if I can find one, the passengers side hood emblem.

It has minor repairable damage, but if I can find a new one, I'll go that route.

Steve

Got this 59 T-Bird off eBay for $20 + shipping.  Don't care about the missing fender ornament or sun visors, since I've always wanted to build a NASCAR 59 Square-Bird (like every other modeler in the world, apparently!).  One "air-scoop" fender skirt is still on and one is missing, which may be a good sign.  On these built-up AMT oldies, parts often fall right off due to the glue aging.

The "Buy It Now" listing for this originally showed the Shipping cost as a whopping $26.95.  I messaged the seller and squawked about that. Soon as he fixed the problem I grabbed it.  Recently lost out on another 59 T-Bird ragtop that was a little nicer but more expensive.  I can work with this one and already have the vat of brake fluid ready to strip that paint...

tb57.jpg

It will go back to completely stock at some point, probably sporting a light turquoise & white 2-tone paint job.

How about green and white as a (very late) Edsel dealer service truck? :)

The task at hand at the moment will be to find a set of stock wheel covers.

I have one mint '60 pickup hubcap you can use to cast some up, if you like.

Also, if you decide not to use the chrome reverse wheels... (hint hint...)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

How about green and white as a (very late) Edsel dealer service truck? :)

I have one mint '60 pickup hubcap you can use to cast some up, if you like.

Also, if you decide not to use the chrome reverse wheels... (hint hint...)

The Edsel truck might not be a bad idea if I could come up with a good set of decals.

I'll probably just keep my eyes peeled for a set of hubcaps on ebay, but I thank you for the offer Chris.

There was a set of hubcaps, wheels & tires on ebay last week, but I missed out on the bidding! :(

As far as the wheels go, if I can find the caps, I'll probably just strip the chrome on these & use them.

Steve

Just came today.

In very good condition!

Should make a great project! :)

Steve

DSCN5642DSCN5643

Great find Steve. Though I think it's too nice to mess with. For a kit from that era it's very nicely done. It's a piece of history. And, like others I too wish that this kit would or could be reissued.

R. Scott Aho

Great find Steve. Though I think it's too nice to mess with. For a kit from that era it's very nicely done.

That's why I bought it Scott.

It will be an easy restoration.

I'm not the type of guy to buy a model for historic reasons.

I'm a builder, not so much a collector.

I do have a few built-ups that I have on my shelf that are pretty nice that I haven't touched, but even those will hopefully get re-done at some point.

Steve

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...