Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

5 hours ago, highway said:

OK, so your point is?? Or did you miss the part where I said "for a price cheaper than a new kit in a hobby shop"??

I think he is just pointing out to the folks, that have shown interest and may be looking to buy the Grand Sport, that a new in box kit can be had cheaper if you buy the Revell version as compared to one in an Accurate Miniatures box. Just a way to save a buck or two, who doesn't like that.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:33 AM, 89AKurt said:

^^^^  Scott has good taste!  And I'm sure he will find something else to get, like Renaissance Tk24/189 detail parts.  :rolleyes:

This has been a subject on the back burner for a long time, doing a replica of the '57 Chevy station wagon I owned.  I have 3 different '57 kits, was daunted about converting a Nomad into the lowly family truckster.  Rick Hainline posted  From the Class of '57 which includes what I wanted, asked where he got his, and of course evilBay.  Love this forum!

57 eBay stationwagon .jpg

Kurt's '57 Chevy.jpg

Now that is cool....I am a wagon nut myself.

7 hours ago, Xingu said:

I think he is just pointing out to the folks, that have shown interest and may be looking to buy the Grand Sport, that a new in box kit can be had cheaper if you buy the Revell version as compared to one in an Accurate Miniatures box. Just a way to save a buck or two, who doesn't like that.

Thanks, that's exactly right.  If I were looking over stacks of kits, it would be easy to miss this one with its generic Revell box art. At a quick glance, it could be mistaken for something like the Revell Penske '66 Vette.  And there is NO mention of Accurate Miniatures anywhere on the box (I checked the one in my stash.) 

On Edit:  Flea Market Day!  The first time I've been for weeks, due to wet/freezing weather.  Found a cheap '72 GTO promo in yellow with a busted rear bumper, slightly warped "A" pillar and scratched windshield.   Maybe I'll Franken-Goat it with the sad old AMT-ERTL issue of the MPC '72.

Also found one of the oddball 1/15 (one-FIFTEENTH) scale Harley kits in a Fujimi box.  I think these originated decades ago with a Japanese company named "Bunka."  They have also been boxed as Union, old Monogram and Fujimi, which seems to have acquired the molds sometime in the 1990's.  Whoever originated them did a whole line of Harleys, Kawasakis, Hondas, etc. in the same 1/15 scale. Since it's an odd scale, I may do this as a junker leaning against a tree.  With a big oil puddle under it.

72-gto.JPG

Edited by Mike999
omission

On 3/28/2018 at 11:00 AM, Mike999 said:

Found a cheap '72 GTO promo in yellow with a busted rear bumper, slightly warped "A" pillar and scratched windshield.   Maybe I'll Franken-Goat it with the sad old AMT-ERTL issue of the MPC '72.

Oh I would LOVE to polish out that lovely yellow plastic for my collection! 

24 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

This is merely a small portion of what I picked up off of CL today from a seller. I have 6 more kits and a box of about 15 lbs of parts and pieces that are still in my truck.

http://IMG_20180330_130159525.jpg

http://IMG_20180330_125030670.jpg

http://IMG_20180330_125042250_HDR.jpg

http://IMG_20180330_125037221.jpg

Now to separate and clean everything!

Later-

Neat score Tom, that would be fun to go thru...

19 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

This is merely a small portion of what I picked up off of CL today from a seller. I have 6 more kits and a box of about 15 lbs of parts and pieces that are still in my truck.

http://IMG_20180330_130159525.jpg

http://IMG_20180330_125030670.jpg

http://IMG_20180330_125042250_HDR.jpg

http://IMG_20180330_125037221.jpg

Now to separate and clean everything!

Later-

Nice, would love to find the matching box for a 69 and some other odd & Ends for the 69 chev kit that has full trim upper and lower???

3 minutes ago, bandit1 said:

Nice, would love to find the matching box for a 69 and some other odd & Ends for the 69 chev kit that has full trim upper and lower???

I'll keep an eye out. Not sure exactly what all I have but I will take photos if I see anything with full trim. What other odds and ends are you looking for?

Later-

On 3/28/2018 at 10:00 AM, Mike999 said:

Thanks, that's exactly right.  If I were looking over stacks of kits, it would be easy to miss this one with its generic Revell box art. At a quick glance, it could be mistaken for something like the Revell Penske '66 Vette.  And there is NO mention of Accurate Miniatures anywhere on the box (I checked the one in my stash.) 

On Edit:  Flea Market Day!  The first time I've been for weeks, due to wet/freezing weather.  Found a cheap '72 GTO promo in yellow with a busted rear bumper, slightly warped "A" pillar and scratched windshield.   Maybe I'll Franken-Goat it with the sad old AMT-ERTL issue of the MPC '72.

Also found one of the oddball 1/15 (one-FIFTEENTH) scale Harley kits in a Fujimi box.  I think these originated decades ago with a Japanese company named "Bunka."  They have also been boxed as Union, old Monogram and Fujimi, which seems to have acquired the molds sometime in the 1990's.  Whoever originated them did a whole line of Harleys, Kawasakis, Hondas, etc. in the same 1/15 scale. Since it's an odd scale, I may do this as a junker leaning against a tree.  With a big oil puddle under it.

72-gto.JPG

OH....Id love to have one of those GTO promos for my collection...me myself it would get restored to like new condition again.  I had the orange color promo of it but the storm we had here took it...bummer.  If you would consider trading it for..? please let me know.

Edited by disabled modeler

Now I will be able to build  a replica of my 1:1,1971Mustang Mach 1 in Grabber green.  I can not wait to start my build !!! On the way is a front end improvement kit from Missing Link.

I think I am gonna put at least 1 in the Trade Forum

Mike

DSCN8592.JPG

Michael's doesn't have a great selection and they don't seem to be re-stocking sold out items, but I had a 55% off coupon that is only good for today so.... I'm not a big fan of this particular truck, but it is a 2 in 1 kit with a straight 6 engine. It is also a skill level 4 which means more parts! This one I may wind up customizing.

IMG_3121.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG
add

Swung by Hobby Lobby today and picked up the Revell 1/24 scale 78 GMC Big Game Country Pickup.  It has a gun rack and jerry can. And what the heck, I can always do something with another pickup truck.

This is the HL in Anderson, SC for anyone in the area.  Looks like this store has finished its latest model "reset."  It had the Baja Bronco, '65 Lincoln and the other newbies other people have reported for HL.  One other thing I noticed: when I bought my Molotow Liquid Chrome markers at this HL some time ago, they were in the same section as all the other "art" markers.  I guess HL figured out who's really buying them.  Today the 1 and 2mm Molotows were in the scale-model aisle.

WARNING for those who might want to build their first 1/35 scale tank kit: the Lindberg 1/35 scale Russian T-55 kit from 1989 is back and in HL. Even the box art is the same as the first issue.  Ugh.  Back then the Lindberg kit won Squadron's "Model of the Year" award, but only because nobody else made a T-55 at the time.  The molds for the Lindberg T-55, T-80 and BMP-1 1/35 kits originated with a company called Twentieth Century International (TCI).  They showed built kits at some hobby shows, but apparently went bankrupt before they could release the kits.  Lindberg bought the TCI molds. 

If you wonder how bad this kit is, just do a search on it.  You'll probably find "square gun barrels" mentioned.  At today's prices, even with 40% off, there's no reason to waste money and time on this turkey. The excellent Tamiya T-55 has been around since 2002 and often goes for reasonable prices.  Takom recently released some real state-of-the-art T-55 kits in several different versions.  Even the old ESCI/Italeri T-55 is better than the Lindberg, though it has its own problems.  And currently goes for about $25-40 in an Italeri box, which is pretty outrageous too.

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Swung by Hobby Lobby today and picked up the Revell 1/24 scale 78 GMC Big Game Country Pickup.  It has a gun rack and jerry can. And what the heck, I can always do something with another pickup truck.

This is the HL in Anderson, SC for anyone in the area.  Looks like this store has finished its latest model "reset."  It had the Baja Bronco, '65 Lincoln and the other newbies other people have reported for HL.  One other thing I noticed: when I bought my Molotow Liquid Chrome markers at this HL some time ago, they were in the same section as all the other "art" markers.  I guess HL figured out who's really buying them.  Today the 1 and 2mm Molotows were in the scale-model aisle.

WARNING for those who might want to build their first 1/35 scale tank kit: the Lindberg 1/35 scale Russian T-55 kit from 1989 is back and in HL. Even the box art is the same as the first issue.  Ugh.  Back then the Lindberg kit won Squadron's "Model of the Year" award, but only because nobody else made a T-55 at the time.  The molds for the Lindberg T-55, T-80 and BMP-1 1/35 kits originated with a company called Twentieth Century International (TCI).  They showed built kits at some hobby shows, but apparently went bankrupt before they could release the kits.  Lindberg bought the TCI molds. 

If you wonder how bad this kit is, just do a search on it.  You'll probably find "square gun barrels" mentioned.  At today's prices, even with 40% off, there's no reason to waste money and time on this turkey. The excellent Tamiya T-55 has been around since 2002 and often goes for reasonable prices.  Takom recently released some real state-of-the-art T-55 kits in several different versions.  Even the old ESCI/Italeri T-55 is better than the Lindberg, though it has its own problems.  And currently goes for about $25-40 in an Italeri box, which is pretty outrageous too.

I noticed the GMC when I was at Hobby Lobby. I was wanting a Lincoln but still an empty slot. I would like to see how the 78 GMC builds up to see if I want one.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...