Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Found on Amazon out of all things:

revell-subaru-wrx-sti.jpg.3cc3e6b048d1c171dffd5862844c9ee6.jpg

And only paid only what a recent Revell reissue goes for. These are quite rare now then they were almost 8 years ago at the craft stores, and I've seen them time to time fetch in the $70-120 range so me thinks I scored considering.

Also went to the LHS near Hobby Lobby in Bayshore and picked up a can of Tamiya Clear Red. Then went to HL to look for more $7.49 kits and in a bizarre case whatever clearance kits were on the shelves were strangely brought back to 29.99 MSRP??? And what's even weirder was in the actual clearance section in the back of the store,  there were still 3 Revell 914s marked $7.49. Whats up with that????

2 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Have you built it yet?  I'd love to see it if you have.  Tamiya has the best Chrome parts by far.

Sorry, I haven't,  and yes Tamiyas chrome parts are excellent!,  I like it when they include chrome, and aluminum plating in the same kit.

52 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Sorry, I haven't,  and yes Tamiyas chrome parts are excellent!,  I like it when they include chrome, and aluminum plating in the same kit.

Didn't know they did aluminum too... Good score on your kits :D

16 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Bill, I got it for Tina, and she will be using the clear body, but yes, you'd be right, if I was building it it wouldn't be klear...lol

I know how difficult it is to polish out blemishes in windshields. I can't imagine having to remove ejector pin marks from a clear body! LOL Please get Tina to post it when she is done.

I only have one Tamiya Clear View kit. It is a 1/20 Brabham F-1 kit. It will not be done in the intended form.

Got this in the mail today................

P1016372.thumb.jpg.b7ad4b4b6c65327ee4401b1d1cbc39b3.jpg

I had bought a set before with the specific purpose of using them in the Shelby WIP, but I'll be darned if I can't find 'em! :angry:

Now that I've bought these, a form of Murphy's Law will kick in and they'll turn up at the wackiest time. Nevertheless, very good gauge decals from this fellow, and I highly recommend these for anyone that wants to spruce up the dash detail.

He's got LOTS of models covered, and he can be found here on eBay. ;)

3 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

They do this quite often, instead of forcing us to dull the chrome down with different clears. Tamiya really does a fantastic kit!!

Very cool.. I'll have to check my Tamiya kits.  I may have some aluminum  sprues in them.  I do remember thinking one kit's "chrome" looked a little different.

8 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I had bought a set before with the specific purpose of using them in the Shelby WIP, but I'll be darned if I can't find 'em! :angry:

Now that I've bought these, a form of Murphy's Law will kick in and they'll turn up at the wackiest time. Nevertheless, very good gauge decals from this fellow, and I highly recommend these for anyone that wants to spruce up the dash detail.

I have quite a few sets of their decals they are really nice.:)

21 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Hey Bill, I found out we have a mutual friend today. George, the guy who sells kits and glue bombs at the local toy show. He mentioned he had a friend they call "Mr. Obsessive" and my ears picked right up. When he said his friend "Mr. Obsessive" had completely reworked the whole rear end of an AMT '68 Roadrunner or '69 GTX, I knew we were talking about the same person. I told him to tell you next time he sees you that Snake said Hi. B)

10 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Hey Bill, I found out we have a mutual friend today. George, the guy who sells kits and glue bombs at the local toy show. He mentioned he had a friend they call "Mr. Obsessive" and my ears picked right up. When he said his friend "Mr. Obsessive" had completely reworked the whole rear end of an AMT '68 Roadrunner or '69 GTX, I knew we were talking about the same person. I told him to tell you next time he sees you that Snake said Hi. B)

:lol:I think I know who you're talking about as I was at our local club meeting not long ago, and I brought that model along. I'll see him later this month at our meeting, and I'll mention him to you! :D

A real nice guy he is........recently I got a Revell Dodge Viper kit from him at a VERY good price, and late last year, I got a resin '58 Ford which was cast very nicely. Super nice to deal with and his wife is just as nice! Always makes you feel right at home whenever you're looking for something they might have.

19 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

:lol:I think I know who you're talking about as I was at our local club meeting not long ago, and I brought that model along. I'll see him later this month at our meeting, and I'll mention him to you! :D

A real nice guy he is........recently I got a Revell Dodge Viper kit from him at a VERY good price, and late last year, I got a resin '58 Ford which was cast very nicely. Super nice to deal with and his wife is just as nice! Always makes you feel right at home whenever you're looking for something they might have.

I've bought a lot of glue bombs from him, and "rescued" quite a few of them. Took four recent "rescues" back to show him today--'69 Chevelle, '65 GTO, '72 GTO, and '34 Ford hot rod. 

Today I bought from him a Monogram Porsche just like the one Twokidsnosleep (Scott) is working on, and a '67 Impala kit missing the glass and engine but otherwise complete. Been wanting to try to do a '67 Biscayne 2DS and this one was so cheap I figure if I screw it up, at least I won't have ruined one of my complete kits. The wheels, tires and chassis alone are probably worth what I paid for it. 

I also (from another vendor) bought a VERY nice diecast 1/24 '57 Chevy 210 hardtop. Never seen one like it before. Body shape is very nice, it's in near-perfect condition, and seems to be WELL worth the $10 I paid for it. Yet another score for my Black Diecast Chevies collection. (I didn't set out to collect black ones, but a bunch of them seem to have followed me home--'63 Vette, '64 Nova, two different '65 Chevelles, '65 El Camino, '68 Chevelle, '68 El Camino, and '69 Camaro. That's a boo-coo of black Chevies!) :blink:

On 8/4/2018 at 1:55 PM, MrObsessive said:

I have my eye on about a dozen of these gauge sets.

It's great that he produces some for some long gone vintage kits as well.

I buy all of my license plates from him.

They are the nicest I have seen!

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

On 7/19/2018 at 3:39 PM, smhardesty said:

Thanks. My wife has to haul me to Evansville tomorrow afternoon. The nurse is going to remove the dressing, check to be sure everything is OK, then re-dress it and send me home. As I understand it, I'll then be here in bed or on the couch for the remainder of the 2 weeks. After that I guess it's just hobbling around until everything is healed enough to start walking on it, or learning how to walk again! I haven't even tried to sit down at the bench. Just sitting in a normal position in my recliner causes the dang thing to throb and hurt.

Good luck Steve and I hope that your recovery goes well. I've made a few trips to Evansville back in the 90's to see these......................

image.png.5d1b693d8905eb418b443b3cb3dff39b.png

image.png.aa0e7bf4b5027183d724929638e4f3f3.png

image.png.8ab20e9539b62f500db68b19c410386c.png

9 hours ago, High octane said:

Good luck Steve and I hope that your recovery goes well. I've made a few trips to Evansville back in the 90's to see these......................

image.png.5d1b693d8905eb418b443b3cb3dff39b.png

image.png.aa0e7bf4b5027183d724929638e4f3f3.png

image.png.8ab20e9539b62f500db68b19c410386c.png

Love these boats!!...I've always wondered.....since I don't know anything about boats, how fast can these actually go?....they seem FAR more dangerous than auto racing...to me anyway.

24 minutes ago, smhardesty said:

Depending on where they are racing, speeds can be anywhere from 130 mph to over 200 mph. Several years ago Miss Budweiser set a record lap speed of around 175 mph. I don't know if that's still any type of record or if it's been surpassed.

WOW!!….that's crazy!!…..thanks for the info......over 200.....on water -not a good idea...lol

Yes as they're hydro planes which means when they're up to speed the only part of them that touches the water is the back part of the sponsons about the area of a bandana on each side and the propeller. Depending upon the water conditions (chop) these boats at the time were topping out at 200 mph and in the photo above it is coming out of that turn at 100 mph+. In the 90's I've seen these boats race at Milwaukee, Kansas City, Detroit, and Evansville, and it was really awesome to be there.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...