Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

The fe-mail carrier just dropped off my '40 Ford 4-door sedan, from Steve Kohler at Star Models.

I have an old resin '40 4-dr body mastered back in the 1980s or 90s, and started trying to use it.  But it's pretty awful, molded in a waxy resin like a bar of soap and missing lots of detail, like the hinges.  It also had huge gaps over the rear fenders. 

Here's the Star Models website, if anyone else is interested.  They offer a LOT of kits. Steve has a PayPal account, so ordering from him is easy. 

https://resinrealm.net/Star/STAR Models/index.html

40_4dr.jpg

My friendly neighborhood Postman dropped these off at my door yesterday...................

P1016354.thumb.jpg.19534b9b9f472348bb4c32d60679af78.jpg

Been looking for a set of these for awhile, and it was another one of those items I kept meaning to get from The Modelhaus, but kept forgetting. Got these on the 'Bay with just a couple days to go, but no takers. I was the sole bidder, and now I got 'em! :D

What are these for??

This...............

P1016356.thumb.jpg.4840bb11ba600fbccb0c261892dbcc43.jpg

A now unobtainium resin '57 Buick Century hardtop from R&R that I've had for years, but never started on. The hood is a bit ill fitting, but since it's resin it'll shape up just fine. I've got the interior and dash for it too, but I'm not crazy about the seats. Probably will go with a modified '57 Chevy for the seats and whatnot, and a modified version of its chassis to jazz things up a bit. This will need stripped of course, so I'll probably go the safe route and use Easy Off Oven Cleaner (yellow can) to get rid of the paint.

Edited by MrObsessive

I was at Hobby Lobby a week ago, but they didn't have any kit's marked for clearance...... but they DID have scenic material on sale. So I bought some of that.

Went back today to get more scenery stuff.... and lo-and-behold, there were DOZEN'S of kit's on sale..... so then "This" happened.

Qvef15J.jpg

I now have triple's of everything. Except the Ecto-1

I also got a few more item's from the scenery Isle.

CmRmmtV.jpg

8 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

P1016356.thumb.jpg.4840bb11ba600fbccb0c261892dbcc43.jpg

A now unobtainium resin '57 Buick Century hardtop from R&R that I've had for years, but never started on. 

Oh that is sweet, since my dad bought one new and it was the first car I ever rode in:

dads57buick.jpg.8962545ce5c95a2ab50bc80eb459cb14.jpg

dads57buickatorchardhouse.thumb.jpg.04e07e14c22a4fad7cab2e81ad491eb2.jpg

Dawn Gray over black. Wanted to get one of those R&Rs but never had the funds when one popped up. Hope some other resin outfit decides to bootleg recreate it! ;) 

dads57buick.jpg

Now that was a NICE car Chris! The Plymouth parked on the opposite side of the parking lot looks to be a '55........that's what my Dad owned and that's what I was brought home in the hospital in. :D

I have memories of a '57 Buick as a kid in the later '60's as we had a good family friend who had a 2 door hardtop Century just like your Dad's, but was all white with a red interior. The car sticks in my mind as I've always thought that was a curious looking rear window treatment with those "slats" dividing up the backlite into three sections.

IIRC, GM called that style roofline with that C pillar shape "Florentine".  That's another one of those styling cues GM was famous for that you could tell from blocks away that it was definitely GM, and could even zero in what year it was.

Every once in a long while R&R's '57 Buick will pop up on the 'Bay. I can't remember the last time I saw one though-------it's probably been years now. The one I have I believe I got from our Mid Atlantic NNL sometime in the mid '00's. I've been in my house for nearly 12 years now, and I know that it followed me here from my last house to this one. ;) 

I just picked up this Boss 302 kit on eBay. It's a factory sealed kit and I got a really good price on it. I already have a Boss 429 kit, so wanted the 302 to compliment it. I actually have 2 of the  Boss 429 kits and I'll be offering one for trade in the near future.

https://images15.fotki.com/v1666/photos/2/3733132/14222771/70boss302-vi.png

Man, that Freuhauf van looks nice. Ain't cheap. I've been looking for that one.

I previously mentioned that I'm on a Johan kick. I got a deal earlier this evening for a built  Johan '62 Dodge Dart Convertible, a '64 Dodge SS kit and a Studebaker Lark ragtop kit, all three for less than $60. The guy is looking through his collection for more Johans. He said that he might have a '60 Desoto, '63 Fury HT and a pair of '62 Chrysler 300's he's willing to sell. He'll let me know tomorrow what else he can find. Made my week and it's not even Monday. :D 

I'm not sure exactly where that movie fits on my list of most favorites, but it's a darned good movie. I haven't seen it in a while come to think of it. I might just have to search through Netflix and HuLu  to see if it's available. I believe I could enjoy watching it tonight!

5 hours ago, smhardesty said:

I'm not sure exactly where that movie fits on my list of most favorites, but it's a darned good movie. I haven't seen it in a while come to think of it. I might just have to search through Netflix and HuLu  to see if it's available. I believe I could enjoy watching it tonight!

Bought Vanishing Point and Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry from Amazon real cheap last year...

5 hours ago, slusher said:

Bought Vanishing Point and Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry from Amazon real cheap last year...

Both are great movies! Turns out that neither Netflix or HuLu have Vanishing Point on the freebie offerings right now. I might just go ahead and do the pay per option. Believe it or not, the town I live in still has one decent sized video rental store. I might stop in there and see if they have it, and since you mentioned it, I might rent it AND Dirty Mary & Crazy Larry. That would make a great night's entertainment.

Thanks for reminding me about that one!

Just got this in the mail and I am very pleased.  It is the latest release by Welly, a 1/24 Corvette Split Window coupe. My only disappointments would be the tail lights lack a chrome surround and the exhaust pipe outlets are way too small.  According to the web it is also available in blue.

5b44937a66fad_Corvettemed100_0890.jpg.6516212d3db1802d206e2eb4e157e349.jpg5b44938b3f9fe_Corvettemed100_0892.jpg.e5265b59103a8154b667dc7a9c27aff5.jpg

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Just got this in the mail and I am very pleased.  It is the latest release by Welly, a 1/24 Corvette Split Window coupe. My only disappointments would be the tail lights lack a chrome surround and the exhaust pipe outlets are way too small.  According to the web it is also available in blue.

5b44937a66fad_Corvettemed100_0890.jpg.6516212d3db1802d206e2eb4e157e349.jpg

It looks better in your pics than in the pics I found of it online. Pics I saw, it didn't look like the doors fit too well, and since I already have a couple of somebody else's '63 Vette diecasts, I'd decided to give it a pass. But after seeing your pics, if I run across one in 3D, I'll give it a look.

Got a bunch of stuff in the mail today that I bought for my birthday... AMT '57 Chrysler 300C reissue (like the retroish box art), some goodies from HLJ --Fujimi reissue '74 Porsche 911 RS and '76 Porsche 930 Turbo--never had those; an Aoshima Suzuki Carry truck (tiny!), and an Aoshima 3rd gen Mazda RX-7. Also the Salvino's Buddy Baker Olds (nice decals). 

and a resin kit that I ordered 3 months ago--Motor City Resin's '74 Ford Econoline van.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...