Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

8 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

I'd love to do a Victoria hardtop someday using Lindberg's '53 Ford roof...........but the grille and taillights....I may have to heavily modify a '50 one if I can never find the conversion.

I have the ITC grille in my parts pile, Bill, and I may have one spare original issue '50 kit custom hardtop roof that you 'd need to un-chop - let me know if that would help.

Finally spotted a '63 'Vette kit on eBay at a great price - $17 delivered to the door. This is the first kit I've seen on eBay for a while that I was interested in for under 25 bucks delivered. Figured I'd best take a shot at it.

https://images52.fotki.com/v1211/photos/2/3733132/14222771/63corvette-vi.png

9 minutes ago, smhardesty said:

Finally spotted a '63 'Vette kit on eBay at a great price - $17 delivered to the door. This is the first kit I've seen on eBay for a while that I was interested in for under 25 bucks delivered. Figured I'd best take a shot at it.

https://images52.fotki.com/v1211/photos/2/3733132/14222771/63corvette-vi.png

Despite, or maybe because of, its simplicity, AMT's '63 Corvette coupe is still one of my all time favorite kits. Have fun with it. 

Edited by unclescott58

3 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Despite, or maybe because of, its simplicity, AMT's '63 Corvette coupe is still one of my all time favorite kits. Have fun with it. 

Really good to hear that. Simplicity and I get along very well. ;)

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

That's a good deal on that Vette. Those shipping prices are sometimes more than the kit !

You got THAT right. It seems the majority of shipping prices posted on eBay are now $10 to $15. I see a LOT of $12 shipping costs posted and I know darned well it doesn't cost that much to ship. I get a real burr under my saddle when I've paid high shipping costs and then when the kit gets here see $6.85 actual cost. I'm not out to rob anybody or make it hard for them to turn a profit, but I don't like being ripped off either.

51 minutes ago, smhardesty said:

I get a real burr under my saddle when I've paid high shipping costs and then when the kit gets here see $6.85 actual cost. I'm not out to rob anybody or make it hard for them to turn a profit, but I don't like being ripped off either.

Don't get me started...TOO LATE!  I buy and sell on eBay.  As a seller, I used to add a $1 "handling" fee, which buyers can't see since it's rolled into the shipping cost.  But I gave up even that extra dollar long ago, when shipping got more expensive than the kit.  As a seller I try to keep shipping costs as low as possible, and expect the same as a buyer. e.g., if a seller won't combine shipping on multiple items, I just won't buy from that seller.  Ever.

BTW, sometimes the difference between the shipping you pay and the actual cost may not be a seller trying to shaft you (or it might be exactly that!). Sellers have to give eBay the size/weight of the package before the auction.  That's how shipping cost is calculated. Newer eBay sellers may guess-timate the size/weight. I use a Postal Scale and tape measure and am usually right on the nose for shipping, or very close. 

If a kit box is oversize/heavy, I put a big SHIPPING WARNING right in the eBay listing:  "This box measures (x) and weighs (y) pounds.  Shipping will be expensive."

Now ON-TOPIC on a happier note...I needed some parts for the old ESCI 1/24 Renault R5 kit, and went looking on eBay. A seller was offering a package deal,  TWO of these kits as "Buy It Now/Best Offer."  I made a pretty lowball offer, figured the seller would counter-offer or tell me to get lost.  But he accepted the offer.  They were delivered today. One is mint and complete, the other is missing the chassis but otherwise complete. I knew that from the seller's photos.

r5.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

I was not trying to imply that sellers are cheating when it come to shipping charges. ( some do ) Charges have gone up. I realize that sellers also try to offset their costs beyond the shipping. Some factor in any supplies they buy. Boxes, tape, packing material, labels and their time and gas to get to a post office. I'm ok with all of that I was just saying the shipping charges are expensive and for me they often are the deciding factor if I pull the trigger on a item or not.

21 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Once in a while I will buy a quality hobby tool. Hope these are worth it, they were not cheap.

20180704_193851.jpg.96791dd341840ca09044fc65e65e4ac3.jpg

I got this right after it was released, I am not that impressed with it to be honest, I love the thinness , but for scribing panels or deepening panel lines,  in my experience , its not smooth, and I have to go back over the lines with a different tool to smooth it out and try and get some of the plastic left behind, I hope you have better luck .

39 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

If a kit box is oversize/heavy, I put a big SHIPPING WARNING right in the eBay listing:  "This box measures (x) and weighs (y) pounds.  Shipping will be expensive."

I bought a Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger from a hobby shop in Indiana.The suitcase-sized box

Image result for Trumpeter 00906 1/16 King Tiger

weighed 19 lbs. and shipping cost $9.95. I bought a Revellogram '65 Impala SS 396 from  upstate NY. The kit weighs, at the most, 14 0z. Shipping was $12.10. 'Splain that, Lucy.

3 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I bought a Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger from a hobby shop in Indiana.The suitcase-sized box weighed 19 lbs. and shipping cost $9.95. I bought a Revellogram '65 Impala SS 396 from  upstate NY. The kit weighs, at the most, 14 0z. Shipping was $12.10. 'Splain that, Lucy.

That's pretty amazing, but I've had similar experiences.  I'd guess the hobby shop gets a bulk-shipping deal. When I order from online hobby shops, they usually have several different options and prices, for USPS, FedEx, UPS and combinations of those. The '65 Impala sounds like it was an eBay deal and the seller tacked on some hefty "handling" fees.

For those who don't know this and might want to sell on eBay - you can get different-sized boxes free from the US Postal Service.   Just go to the USPS website and sign up, which is a pretty quick process.  They ship the boxes right to your door.

12 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I bought a Trumpeter 1/16 King Tiger from a hobby shop in Indiana.The suitcase-sized box

Image result for Trumpeter 00906 1/16 King Tiger

weighed 19 lbs. and shipping cost $9.95. I bought a Revellogram '65 Impala SS 396 from  upstate NY. The kit weighs, at the most, 14 0z. Shipping was $12.10. 'Splain that, Lucy.

Geebus, 1/16th scale tank, that is cool, and that size box, that is pretty neat.

8 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

The '65 Impala sounds like it was an eBay deal and the seller tacked on some hefty "handling" fees.

Nope. Bought it from a hobby shop in Buffalo.

8 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

Geebus, 1/16th scale tank, that is cool, and that size box, that is pretty neat.

Yeah, it is. All 1345 parts, including white metal drive sprockets, final drive housings an idler wheels. It needs a lot of corrections to model it accurately.

1 minute ago, SfanGoch said:

Nope. Bought it from a hobby shop in Buffalo.

Yeah, it is. All 1345 parts, including white metal drive sprockets, final drive housings an idler wheels. It needs a lot of corrections to model it accurately.

1345, that a lot of parts to lose, wow, that is a shame that it needs to corrections to the body.

Decided to go to a couple of Hobby Lobby's today that are not to far away that I've never been to before with the hopes of finding another Foose F100.

This is what I see at the first store. Two 70 Chargers and two F100's. With the exception of the 57 ford all of the spots for all of the other kits that have been on clearance were empty.

20180705_115000.jpg.c695559b666d19e21d668f5e5286ce7c.jpg

Picked up another Foose f100, the Corvette and the Thunderbolt at the second store. I decided to go a bit out of the way  to a third store but no F100's or Chargers there.

The Lady at the 2nd HL tells me that F100 is expensive($26.99). I tell her I've already used my coupon for the day. She says I can use it again. She types and or scans something and I get another 40 % off.

Also got three fishing rod on clearance at Academy that I've been wanting. Today was a good day.

nd 20180705_175905.jpg.20ba2ff02c68fe21403fb4fe67980542.jpg

Edited by BKF

7 hours ago, smhardesty said:

Really good to hear that. Simplicity and I get along very well. ;)

You got THAT right. It seems the majority of shipping prices posted on eBay are now $10 to $15. I see a LOT of $12 shipping costs posted and I know darned well it doesn't cost that much to ship. I get a real burr under my saddle when I've paid high shipping costs and then when the kit gets here see $6.85 actual cost. I'm not out to rob anybody or make it hard for them to turn a profit, but I don't like being ripped off either.

You should live up here in Canada like me,sellers wanting $16.95 U.S. to send a decal sheet!!...I could go on but that's not  what these threads are about.

On 7/5/2018 at 12:37 PM, iamsuperdan said:

Not bad. $20CDN for these. Both are complete, and the Tamiya is still bags sealed, including the original motor and wiring.

20180705_104442.jpg

20180705_104459.jpg

Cool. I’m a 1:1 VW guy so those are very interesting to me. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...