Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

21 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

...and late last year, I got a resin '58 Ford which was cast very nicely.

'58 Ford hardtop?  That's probably the old R&R Vacuum Craft resin kit.  I found one of those at a kit swap meet not long ago for a reasonable price and grabbed it.  It is very well done.

In that case, the seller knew it was R&R. Sometimes it's not easy for me to tell where a resin kit came from, since I bought quite a few of them long ago at swap meets or off eBay, and there was no indication of the maker.  Recently I was looking thru my resin kits and found a real prize bought many years ago - the Modelhaus '62 Chrysler station wagon.

Edited by Mike999
error

Mike, I'd agree with you except that George had a number of these on hand. Since Ray's no longer around, it could be that George got the molds from him to cast on his own, or that someone else is doing the casting. I saw George last at our CPMCC meeting a couple months ago, and he had yet more '58 Fords that he was selling. I can also remember anything that Ray cast (for the most part) had his initials (R&R = Ray and Ruth) somewhere inside the body, and interior. I happen to have one of his '58 Oldsmobile station wagons and it has those initials in big bold letters.

The Ford doesn't have that anywhere on the body, and not to mention that this is more of a transkit than anything else. It's the body, interior including the dash, and the wheelcovers. I take it that one is to use the old AMT '57 Ford kit for the chassis and all the other bits and pieces.

When I see him next time, I'll ask him but I'm about certain that this casting came from him and not Ray.

I could be wrong though............ :unsure:

2 hours ago, High octane said:

Yes as they're hydro planes which means when they're up to speed the only part of them that touches the water is the back part of the sponsons about the area of a bandana on each side and the propeller. Depending upon the water conditions (chop) these boats at the time were topping out at 200 mph and in the photo above it is coming out of that turn at 100 mph+. In the 90's I've seen these boats race at Milwaukee, Kansas City, Detroit, and Evansville, and it was really awesome to be there.

I remember seeing them transported on the highway but didn't they have to propped up on their sides because of their width on the trailers?

Edited by Gramps46

40 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

it could be that George got the molds from him to cast on his own, or that someone else is doing the casting.

Ron Andrews, owner of RMR Resin, acquired all of the R&R masters last December. According to what was posted in FB, he plans to recast  most of, if not the entire, line. Getting molds isn't a good move unless one has the masters. Molds are good for so many pulls before they begin to deteriorate.

Edited by SfanGoch

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

I can also remember anything that Ray cast (for the most part) had his initials (R&R = Ray and Ruth) somewhere inside the body, and interior...

Thanks, just checked the '58.  You're right. It has a big square "TEAM R&R 1994" marking inside the body. It's also a (mostly) complete kit, not a trans-kit: body, interior, chassis and chromed parts.  The chassis has a cutout for an engine.  The only thing missing is tires and wheels.  For '58 Ford kit fans, the R&R kit has the hood scoop molded into the hood.  On the original AMT '58 Ford, I think that was a separate chrome part.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:06 AM, 89AKurt said:

Had someone whose dad died, had a bunch of models, many still wrapped, with price tags like $1.49.  Some kits were started.  The coolest I got is an IMC (Industro Motive Corp.) Ford GTP J car that was painted a bad white, easy save.  Also got a Datsun pickup "California Sunshine" that was started, would make a cool autocross rig.  Lindberg 1935 Auburn Speedster wrapped, Aurora Maserati 3500 GT, Monogram Cord 812, Monogram 1934 Duesenberg Weyman Torpedo Phaeton, and some other kits was my haul.

Nice Find, Id love to find an unbuilt California Sunshine datsun kit... but not paying the crazy ebay price which is the only one i see right now...:wacko:

14 hours ago, High octane said:

Good luck Steve and I hope that your recovery goes well. I've made a few trips to Evansville back in the 90's to see these......................

image.png.5d1b693d8905eb418b443b3cb3dff39b.png

image.png.aa0e7bf4b5027183d724929638e4f3f3.png

image.png.8ab20e9539b62f500db68b19c410386c.png

Ive seen some of these boats live. Knads of steel i tell ya

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

'58 Ford hardtop?  That's probably the old R&R Vacuum Craft resin kit.  I found one of those at a kit swap meet not long ago for a reasonable price and grabbed it.  It is very well done.

In that case, the seller knew it was R&R. Sometimes it's not easy for me to tell where a resin kit came from, since I bought quite a few of them long ago at swap meets or off eBay, and there was no indication of the maker.  Recently I was looking thru my resin kits and found a real prize bought many years ago - the Modelhaus '62 Chrysler station wagon.

Henrix cast the 58 Ford in both hardtop and convertible. His castings are well done.

15 hours ago, High octane said:

Good luck Steve and I hope that your recovery goes well. I've made a few trips to Evansville back in the 90's to see these......................

image.png.5d1b693d8905eb418b443b3cb3dff39b.png

image.png.aa0e7bf4b5027183d724929638e4f3f3.png

image.png.8ab20e9539b62f500db68b19c410386c.png

I grew up in the n.w. suburbs of Detroit. Every year on the 4th of July there were hydroplane races on the Detroit river. Miss Budweiser was around back then. The spray that comes from the back of the boat is called a rooster tail. 

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

I remember seeing them transported on the highway but didn't they have to propped up on their sides because of their width on the trailers?

On the highways they did have to be propped up on their sides as I believe they were 'bout 14' wide if I remember correctly.

image.png.f6885f2d9f7188ca9fdb3c4a8c012fef.png

2 hours ago, my66s55 said:

I grew up in the n.w. suburbs of Detroit. Every year on the 4th of July there were hydroplane races on the Detroit river. Miss Budweiser was around back then. The spray that comes from the back of the boat is called a rooster tail. 

These boats are unreal!!!......you should see the 20 foot rooster tails our jeep makes when we play in flooded areas!!!

I heard this '66 Fairlane promo sing a chorus of "Rescue Me", so I did:

5b690a4e74672_66fairlanepromo1.jpg.d3706c6060b8a24631a0c2632f6ee3ff.jpg

5b690a91a76c1_66fairlanepromo12.jpg.d531aba0a3dbe391ffeee735f18b9f40.jpg

Cheap, luckily. Now to figure out how to get the black paint and decals off without damaging the red stripes... Straighten the cockeyed backup light, realign the grille, Molotow the worn spots, polish and done. 

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Tape a piece of plastic bag over the stripes and use Testors Easy-Lift-Off applied with a Q-Tip. That Purple Pond business is for the birds. You'll have the paint off in about twenty minutes. Scrub the stripped areas with a toothbrush and Comet/Ajax and it'll be good to go. I stripped a built '62 Dodge Dart which was painted a hideous shade of metallic pink and the body is once again a sparkling, clean creamy white. :D 

10 hours ago, bandit1 said:

Nice Find, Id love to find an unbuilt California Sunshine datsun kit... but not paying the crazy ebay price which is the only one i see right now...:wacko:

About $50, a bit steep, but nothing like the '68-'72 Chevy pickup kits people hope to get rich with.

7 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

I heard this '66 Fairlane promo sing a chorus of "Rescue Me", so I did:

5b690a4e74672_66fairlanepromo1.jpg.d3706c6060b8a24631a0c2632f6ee3ff.jpg

5b690a91a76c1_66fairlanepromo12.jpg.d531aba0a3dbe391ffeee735f18b9f40.jpg

Cheap, luckily. Now to figure out how to get the black paint and decals off without damaging the red stripes... Straighten the cockeyed backup light, realign the grille, Molotow the worn spots, polish and done. 

Nice find Chris...!   LOL.. I hear them calling to me too...LOL..

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

About $50, a bit steep, but nothing like the '68-'72 Chevy pickup kits people hope to get rich with.

I hear that, I wish Round 2 would reissue some of those kits for i would love to see the look on those "Ebay Collectors" faces when they have to liquidate to move stock...:lol:

36 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

First order with PlazaJapan and I am impressed.  Great price and very fast shipping:

IMG_0608.thumb.JPG.eb559f3f9293a75b5ba9d706d0621337.JPG

Chris I am extremely envious of you for all four of those kits. This is the first time I have EVER seen a kit of the Toyota 87C. Drool...

1 hour ago, Bill Eh? said:

Chris I am extremely envious of you for all four of those kits. This is the first time I have EVER seen a kit of the Toyota 87C. Drool...

Yeah Bill, I saw that car and had to have it.  I had to throw in a few more to justify the shipping... they ended up costing me $25 a piece.  If you get just the 87c it will cost you $30 with shipping.  I got my order in 10 days.  

https://www.plazajapan.com/4967834203518

Edited by jchrisf

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...