Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I don't know what year or model your Jeep is, but it looks like it has internally-expanding drum parking brakes.

I assume you released the parking brake, and the cables are free enough to let the shoes retract fully.

A lead hammer (softer than brass) is usually the tool of choice to persuade recalcitrant rotors or drums to let go.

It’s the wife’s 2014. Never off-roaded and really low miles. It would make a horrible screech once every rotation of the right rear wheel. I couldn’t even turn the rotor by hand until I removed the caliper and pads. Then I could rotate it but it still made the screech until I backed off the park brake adjuster. The rotor was pretty well black from overheating so I replaced both rears and the pads too. I have to research how to properly adjust the parking brake now because it is pretty much useless…but it doesn’t screech.🙂

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 7:09 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. When I'm at the physical shop, I work all the time, except for the occasional short interaction with other guys who are there to work too. I DO NOT get a salary. I do pretty well, but I ONLY GET PAID FOR WHAT I PHYSICALLY PRODUCE.

When I do my paperwork and billing at home (which I have to do because I'm a subcontractor) I get distracted all the time by stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with getting the work done.

Just like right now.

And I'm pretty sure anyone who's honest with himself would admit the same thing.

Thing is though, my distraction time during WFH hours costs my clients exactly nothing. I take the hit in my own pocket by wasting time that would be billable if I were in the shop.

But hey...if you're getting a fat salary for sitting at home slacking, why rock the boat?

EDIT: Somewhere around 20 years back, I read a widely publicized time-motion study that concluded most office workers spent around 35% of their on-the-clock time actually "working".

This seemed to be pretty consistent with what I observed when I was a white-collar kinda guy.

I have a really hard time believing it's better for WFH people. 

It's interesting what passes for "productivity", isn't it?

The WFH policy is a joke, I can attest to it as I have a harder time getting answers from the people who work a hybrid schedule on their "home" days versus their "office" days. Companies are willing to accept a reduced work output level because they are saving big $$$ by not having as much office space or utilities as a result of people working from home.

I have been WFH for nearly 30 years as I am in field sales and my employer is on the other side of the country. Since Covid when my travel was curtailed, my food and utilities costs have risen and sadly my pay hasn't kept pace with inflation so I have suffered while my employer has benefited.

• Like 1

What has been irking me for about a week now is the fact that for the past 2 years I’ve been telling the higher ups at work that another project manager/qc person was needed in our install department (sign and graphics printing company)and that it needed to be someone who had sign installation experience so they would know what was needed for each job and what to look for. I threw my hat in the ring when I originally suggested it and also when they announced that they were going to be opening up a position. I’ve been here for 5 years and I have around 10 years experience with sign and vinyl installation. Found out last week that they gave it to a guy that has been here for less than two years (that I have trained) and said it’s because “ we have one installer retiring soon and my “skills and experience “ are needed in the install department “ and that the other guy “is a better fit”. Am I irked? Yes…am I being salty about it? Probably so….am I being petty because I refuse to give suggestions or opinions on things anymore? Maybe. But I am definitely highly irked!!

Today's irk is finding that dads personal toiletries that I bought for him to use while he is hospitalized are now missing since they moved him from one room to another. He says that someone threw them out because they said he didn't need them. I asked the nurses who are caring for him about the whereabouts but no one seems to know..😡 I'm hoping its a mix up and they are sitting somewhere. If not..🤔 it's time to to do a little venting.. Boy I could use someone to take all this stress out on.. 😆 BTW dad will be coming home tomorrow (sat). I was up last night till 2:30am breaking down the antique bed and cleaning my moms old room to be ready for the in-home hospice bed coming today. The bedroom move is so dad will be closer to the main bathroom and kitchen instead of way down the hall farthest away. At least the bleeding has stopped. Still don't know the cause and probably never will due to his aorta slowly closing up. Better days ahead? I hope but I have my reservations. I'm just glad he'll be at home for Christmas. 

1 hour ago, Keef said:

What has been irking me for about a week now is the fact that for the past 2 years I’ve been telling the higher ups at work that another project manager/qc person was needed in our install department (sign and graphics printing company)and that it needed to be someone who had sign installation experience so they would know what was needed for each job and what to look for. I threw my hat in the ring when I originally suggested it and also when they announced that they were going to be opening up a position. I’ve been here for 5 years and I have around 10 years experience with sign and vinyl installation. Found out last week that they gave it to a guy that has been here for less than two years (that I have trained) and said it’s because “ we have one installer retiring soon and my “skills and experience “ are needed in the install department “ and that the other guy “is a better fit”. Am I irked? Yes…am I being salty about it? Probably so….am I being petty because I refuse to give suggestions or opinions on things anymore? Maybe. But I am definitely highly irked!!

Consider very quietly looking around in your industry to see what other options are out there. Sometimes companies are attracted to the new shinny penny and don't appreciate those that have been a hard-working team player for a company. Don't jump until you see if their new guy carries the load so to speak. Should something that you're sure would be better presents itself you can always talk to the company about what has come available and politely let them know you have come to realize there is no future for you with their organization based on you being passed over.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

Today's irk is finding that dads personal toiletries that I bought for him to use while he is hospitalized are now missing since they moved him from one room to another. He says that someone threw them out because they said he didn't need them. I asked the nurses who are caring for him about the whereabouts but no one seems to know..😡 I'm hoping its a mix up and they are sitting somewhere. If not..🤔 it's time to to do a little venting.. Boy I could use someone to take all this stress out on.. 😆 BTW dad will be coming home tomorrow (sat). I was up last night till 2:30am breaking down the antique bed and cleaning my moms old room to be ready for the in-home hospice bed coming today. The bedroom move is so dad will be closer to the main bathroom and kitchen instead of way down the hall farthest away. At least the bleeding has stopped. Still don't know the cause and probably never will due to his aorta slowly closing up. Better days ahead? I hope but I have my reservations. I'm just glad he'll be at home for Christmas. 

I'm glad to hear that your dad will be home for Christmas, but sorry to hear about his items going missing. Unfortunately, thievery of these types of items is common place in hospitals. My wife has been a nurse for 15+ years and she is constantly telling me about patient's personal items disappearing. She works at a VA hospital and it's usually someone on the cleaning crew that is doing the stealing. It's a shame that a hospital that is staffed over 50% with veterans is stealing from sick veterans. 

My prayers to your dad and your family.

19 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

I'm glad to hear that your dad will be home for Christmas, but sorry to hear about his items going missing. Unfortunately, thievery of these types of items is common place in hospitals. My wife has been a nurse for 15+ years and she is constantly telling me about patient's personal items disappearing. She works at a VA hospital and it's usually someone on the cleaning crew that is doing the stealing. It's a shame that a hospital that is staffed over 50% with veterans is stealing from sick veterans. 

My prayers to your dad and your family.

Thanks Rob. Even though we're talking about $20.00 worth of items and they're replaceable it still irks the bejesus out of me. 

2 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

my father in law had a really nice navy ring that he wore all the time. that was "lost" while he was in the hospital before his passing

3 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

Today's irk is finding that dads personal toiletries that I bought for him to use while he is hospitalized are now missing since they moved him from one room to another. He says that someone threw them out because they said he didn't need them. I asked the nurses who are caring for him about the whereabouts but no one seems to know..😡 I'm hoping its a mix up and they are sitting somewhere. If not..🤔 it's time to to do a little venting.. Boy I could use someone to take all this stress out on.. 😆 BTW dad will be coming home tomorrow (sat). I was up last night till 2:30am breaking down the antique bed and cleaning my moms old room to be ready for the in-home hospice bed coming today. The bedroom move is so dad will be closer to the main bathroom and kitchen instead of way down the hall farthest away. At least thital can do becuase of his health issue.e bleeding has stopped. Still don't know the cause and probably never will due to his aorta slowly closing up. Better days ahead? I hope but I have my reservations. I'm just glad he'll be at home for Christmas. 

Glad to hear that he will be home for Christmas. Given the circumstances hospice is the best action as it's sole purpose to to make him comfortable. At this point there really isn't any much the hospital can do given his health issues.

Hang in there. It is a trying time but you are doing the right things. 

6 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Is that better or worse than "past-it geezer useless old fart"?

This was from the new (young) pharmacist at the drug store. She gave me my Covid booster and helped me pick a magnesium supplement my doctor suggested. She handed it to me and said something like this one is good for the elderly, those over 50.

2 hours ago, imarriedawitch said:

This was from the new (young) pharmacist at the drug store. She gave me my Covid booster and helped me pick a magnesium supplement my doctor suggested. She handed it to me and said something like this one is good for the elderly, those over 50.

You should have politely set her straight. After all, a pharmacist is a professional who should not be making that type of a comment.  Especially in this politically correct world we live in.  Although I'm not sure if it would have made much difference, but it would likely have made you feel better.

5 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Glad to hear that he will be home for Christmas. Given the circumstances hospice is the best action as it's sole purpose to to make him comfortable. At this point there really isn't any much the hospital can do given his health issues.

Hang in there. It is a trying time but you are doing the right things. 

He's ready and so an i for his homecoming. Funny thing is the trying times that I'm currently experiencing is not from him but from professionals who are caring for or businesses who provide a service. Hospital bed was to be delivered today. Installer was instructed to call before coming due to me not being at the location. What did he do? Came to the house, no one answered. Called and no one answered. He left the house and went on his merry way. As the day went on and I "hadn't" received any call I made contact with the Hospice liaison who had authorized and set up the delivery. She gave me the number to the facility who was to deliver it. Ends up the guy apparently called me and I didn't receive the call due to a dead spot in the Hospital. I asked him was he still coming and when? He stated his work day was over but he was scheduled for tomorrow first thing! 😲.. So I asked.. What time are we talking so I can make arrangements. He said he gets in at 11:00 and the company is not far so around 11:30. 🤔°° gee dad gets discharged early afternoon plus I was always under the impression first thing meant early in the day.. Silly me.. Crazy how a low level installer can with no authority can rearrange everyone's schedule..😡#×@*! 

15 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

He's ready and so an i for his homecoming. Funny thing is the trying times that I'm currently experiencing is not from him but from professionals who are caring for or businesses who provide a service. Hospital bed was to be delivered today. Installer was instructed to call before coming due to me not being at the location. What did he do? Came to the house, no one answered. Called and no one answered. He left the house and went on his merry way. As the day went on and I "hadn't" received any call I made contact with the Hospice liaison who had authorized and set up the delivery. She gave me the number to the facility who was to deliver it. Ends up the guy apparently called me and I didn't receive the call due to a dead spot in the Hospital. I asked him was he still coming and when? He stated his work day was over but he was scheduled for tomorrow first thing! 😲.. So I asked.. What time are we talking so I can make arrangements. He said he gets in at 11:00 and the company is not far so around 11:30. 🤔°° gee dad gets discharged early afternoon plus I was always under the impression first thing meant early in the day.. Silly me.. Crazy how a low level installer can with no authority can rearrange everyone's schedule..😡#×@*! 

l really hope your dad does welll, I will say a prayer for you both..

This is silly but I'm ready to throw my phone

I have covid and it's not been good to me. I haven't slept in about a week. I finally fall asleep and my phone decided it needed to ring the notifications and woke me up. It was Google maps asking me to review longhorn.which is actually one of the three places that I could have caught covid from. 

Now, I'm awake again, still exhausted but now ready to scream 

Edited by MrMiles

1 minute ago, MrMiles said:

This is silly but I'm ready to throw my phone

I have covid and it's not been good to me. I haven't slept in about a week. I finally fall asleep and my phone decided it needed to ring the notifications and woke me up. It was Google maps asking me to review longhorn.which is actually one of the three places that I could have caught covid from. 

Now, I'm awake again, still exhausted but now ready to scream 

F u Google maps

Hear ya loud and clear. I usually turn my phone ringer and notifications down at bedtime or nap time but since I'm currently dealing with dad and his hospital stay I need to leave on full blast. Between eBay and the forums I follow the interruptions are rampant. Although I usually don't get to sleep straight through the nights anyway. This week even with the late hours I've been keeping I'm dead to the world when my head hits that pillow. I hope you get some rest soon. Sleep is very important for us useless old farts.. 😆

So I see this gee-whiz-mister-wizard new nonstick cookware advertised, touting the virtues of its "titanium plasma" coating.

I know what "titanium" is and I know what a "plasma" is, so I assume these magical new pots and pans have a plasma-sprayed metallic titanium coating...which sounds pretty trick indeed.

OK, says I. That's worth a look, as one of the constituent chemicals (PFOA) of Teflon and other similar nonstick coatings has several unpleasant long-term side effects you don't hear much about.

https://www.alternativetomeds.com/blog/is-teflon-toxic/

https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/environment/risk/docs/guidance/gw/pfoainfo.pdf

And while PFOA has supposedly been eliminated from Teflon in the USA, you have no guarantee offshore manufacturers follow US guidelines. (Even "USA based" companies manufacture most of their stuff elsewhere, and quality control isn't always what it should be, as anyone who's ever bought "offshore" manufactured car parts can tell ya...)

HOWEVER...after doing a little research, the answer is:   "Does Anolon X use Teflon? Anolon X does not use Teflon, which is a brand-name nonstick coating that contains PFOA. Instead, Anolon X pans are covered in PTFE coating, which is both nonstick and non-toxic."

Well guess what boys and girls? PTFE IS Teflon.   

Turns out the "titanium plasma" they brag about in their advertising IS NOTHING BUT THE WAY THEY DESCRIBE THE COLOR.

And some of y'all think I'm evil because I hate marketing.  B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

43 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

So I see this gee-whiz-mister-wizard new nonstick cookware advertised, touting the virtues of its "titanium plasma" coating.

I know what "titanium" is and I know what a "plasma" is, so I assume these magical new pots and pans have a plasma-sprayed metallic titanium coating...which sounds pretty trick indeed.

OK, says I. That's worth a look, as one of the constituent chemicals (PFOA) of Teflon and other similar nonstick coatings has several unpleasant long-term side effects you don't hear much about.

https://www.alternativetomeds.com/blog/is-teflon-toxic/

https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/environment/risk/docs/guidance/gw/pfoainfo.pdf

And while PFOA has supposedly been eliminated from Teflon in the USA, you have no guarantee offshore manufacturers follow US guidelines. (Even "USA based" companies manufacture most of their stuff elsewhere, and quality control isn't always what it should be, as anyone who's ever bought "offshore" manufactured car parts can tell ya...)

HOWEVER...after doing a little research, the answer is:   "Does Anolon X use Teflon? Anolon X does not use Teflon, which is a brand-name nonstick coating that contains PFOA. Instead, Anolon X pans are covered in PTFE coating, which is both nonstick and non-toxic."

Well guess what boys and girls? PTFE IS Teflon.   

Turns out the "titanium plasma" they brag about in their advertising IS NOTHING BUT THE WAY THEY DESCRIBE THE COLOR.

And some of y'all think I'm evil because I hate marketing.  B)

I know that feeling well, imagine my disappointment that my turbo hoover wasn't in fact turbo'd in any way

• Haha 1