Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

8 hours ago, Cool Hand said:

Current batch of BMF is certainly not the quality product it once was. Sure it adhere's very well and it's a far better product than the recent Chrome batch that everyone complained about.

This just frustrates me to no end, having to remove glue residue that the supposedly "New Improved" leaves behind after trimming and removing excess foil.

That's really too bad!  From reading comments ere for the last few years, the quality seems to have really taken a dive in the last few years (of course around the time COVID-12 pandemic started). At first they were using different (stiffer) metal for the foil, and the adhesive is not the same as it used to be. That is a shame.

What is the printed info on now?  It used to be on the paper envelope. Is it now on just a sheet of paper?

If you use lacquers, the residue should remove easily using a soft cloth moistened with Naphtha (like Ronsonol lighter fluid). Naphtha evaporates fast and leaves no residue.

13 hours ago, crazyjim said:

I like the newer BMF.  I've always had the residue issue and use enamrl thinner on a Q-Tip to remove.  It doesn't seem to hurt the 2K clear I use.

Appreciate the input Jim, I dont use clear on my Tamiya TS-14 black paint jobs, so im not willing to use anything other than wax to remove the residue. Yes always had some residue left behind. but no where near as much as the current batch.

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Really sorry to hear you're having so much grief with the newer stuff, as your foil work is some of the straightest and most precise I've ever seen, anywhere.

I can deal with the situation, just requires way more clean up.

Appreciate the kind words.  My eyes and hands arent what they use to be, so I now pre- scribe all the trim on my builds. Tedious work but makes foiling so much easier to be precise.

6 hours ago, peteski said:

That's really too bad!  From reading comments ere for the last few years, the quality seems to have really taken a dive in the last few years (of course around the time COVID-12 pandemic started). At first they were using different (stiffer) metal for the foil, and the adhesive is not the same as it used to be. That is a shame.

What is the printed info on now?  It used to be on the paper envelope. Is it now on just a sheet of paper?

If you use lacquers, the residue should remove easily using a soft cloth moistened with Naphtha (like Ronsonol lighter fluid). Naphtha evaporates fast and leaves no residue.

Yes I remember reading about the supply issues, and used some of the batch that was available during that period.

Im glad it is still available and is the best option for model cars, but as you said shame its not what it once was. 

Yes I use Tamiya TS Lacquer, but as I mentioned to Jim, at the moment not willing to use anything other than a wax or compound to remove the residue. But I will keep your suggestion of the lighter fluid in my mind and test it out one day. For now the wax has worked, just requires more effort than usual.

The sheet of foil is enclosed in the folded paper and the info is printed on the inside  

2vJyeEd.jpgvzclFzh.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Check your profile page. All your "activity' seems to have disappeared (along with many others) since the upgrade (from my perspective).

if you comment on posts they appear again in your profile. I'm sure the feature will come back, theres a message about it at the top of the menu pages

Thursday afternoon I got a 'text' from my 'bank' asking about a purchase made on Amazon. I was supposed to reply with a number they gave me in the text.  Friday morning I checked my Amazon account to see if I had made some purchases and had forgot about them. I found no new charges, so I went to my bank.  The lady told me the bank would never require me to reply with a number.  She checked my account and there were two recent small amount purchases for Amazon.  I had her cancel the purchases.  She kept my debit card and gave me a temporary one to use until my new one arrives. Now I will have to change card numbers at several different locations. I am really thrilled with the "security" of on-line transactions, that is why I still write checks for all my bills.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

NEVER, NEVER use your debit card for online purchases. Use a credit card otherwise you run the risk of the thieves emptying your account and the banks sometimes are slow to replace the funds.

Never use a bank. It’s hard to tell them from the thieves sometimes. 

On 11/25/2023 at 1:54 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

NEVER, NEVER use your debit card for online purchases. Use a credit card otherwise you run the risk of the thieves emptying your account and the banks sometimes are slow to replace the funds.

As sad as it is it's gotten to the point that you're better off using a prepaid card whenever you can and using cash as much as possible. 

These thieving scums are getting more and more crafty by the day.

Out doing a few things today and decided to stop by the post office and get a few sheets of stamps for Christmas card sending. I always use the self-serve machine as you can do it real quick and not stand in line.

For some reason the machine didn't have the usual option on the touch screen to choose how many sheets but had a plus and minus to tap in how many stamps so I had to push the plus button 60 times because I wanted 3 sheets worth. Hit "continue" and it says some-such thing that it will print out the stamps individually! So I'm standing there while it prints one at a time and spits them out!

A woman came up and I told her the situation and said if I knew this was gonna happen I'd have gone to the counter. She did just that and after awhile came by and thanked me for suggesting that and she had a few sheets of stamps in her hand. AARRRGGHHH!

2 minutes ago, TonyK said:

Out doing a few things today and decided to stop by the post office and get a few sheets of stamps for Christmas card sending. I always use the self-serve machine as you can do it real quick and not stand in line.

For some reason the machine didn't have the usual option on the touch screen to choose how many sheets but had a plus and minus to tap in how many stamps so I had to push the plus button 60 times because I wanted 3 sheets worth. Hit "continue" and it says some-such thing that it will print out the stamps individually! So I'm standing there while it prints one at a time and spits them out!

A woman came up and I told her the situation and said if I knew this was gonna happen I'd have gone to the counter. She did just that and after awhile came by and thanked me for suggesting that and she had a few sheets of stamps in her hand. AARRRGGHHH!

Some of our grocery stores offer stamps at the cash register. Way more convenient than the dreaded post office visit. 

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Or you can order them online from the Post Office and they just magically appear in your mailbox. Another advantage is if you want some of their special stamps, you can get them.

Yes..I use very few stamps in a year (pay all my bills online), so I order them from the USPS website.  Got a few sets of the neat pony car series last year.

Wife had a serious surgery on Friday a.m.  Surgery was done early afternoon but I didn't get to see her until mid afternoon when she was a little more awake.  She spent the rest of the day until 6:30a Saturday before they got her a room.  The hospital claimed they didn't have a room ready......um, no...they were short staffed!  Don't go into a career that you may have to work a holiday if you can't show up!!  My wife and I are both in careers that require an occasional holiday (I missed my oldest son's first easter).

We didn't get her Rx filled as she was discharged late on Saturday.  Went to Walgreens first thing Sunday to pick them up....pharmacy is not open yet.  Ten minutes after, I tracked down the store manager to ask if the pharmacy was going to open today.  "Oh yeah, she just got here". Then she asked if can wait about 30 minutes as there were several left over from the night before that were not filled.  

Hospital nurse shortages is a big problem now. With a new hospital opened up downtown in my city (which I was 100% against it since they had land to expand on the old site), nurse shortages and protests by nurses due to unfair wages if ongoing.

After shutting down both St Luke's and St Elizabeth hospitals, this hospital is now called Wynn Hospital - named after a pervert who donated $$$$ to the hospital. Mr. Wynn is not from this area but resides in Vegas. 

I've already told my wife, if anything happens to me and they stabilzes me, I want to be transferred to Cooperstown or Syracuse. 

Before you ask why the transfer... I want to survive. LOL!

On 12/2/2023 at 9:34 PM, ewetwo said:

Trying to get the cap off of a Duplicolor can of paint. When it popped off. So did the spray nozzle and blue metallic paint spray everywhere. Including on myself. Theres $18 down the drain.

That’s some bad luck David!