Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

25 minutes ago, espo said:

Why? Why do left lane sitters go slower than right lane drivers until you move to pass them? Then they think it's a drag race.....The secret is that as the traffic laws state, slower moving traffic should stay to the right. 

Sounds like 55 mph. 3 lane highway that runs through my town. Grandmas to the left and speed racers to the right. For some reason that right lane which is also travel through lane but mainly used to turn right into businesses along the highway has become the passing lane for those with little patience. I chalk it up to ignorance and lack of common sense. A lot of it going around nowadays.. 😡 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

Sounds like 55 mph. 3 lane highway that runs through my town. Grandmas to the left and speed racers to the right. For some reason that right lane which is also travel through lane but mainly used to turn right into businesses along the highway has become the passing lane for those with little patience. I chalk it up to ignorance and lack of common sense. A lot of it going around nowadays.. 😡 

You make a very good point on what I also believe to be part of the problem. I'm of the opinion that all drivers should be required to reread the vehicle code for their states before they can renew their license. While I freely admit that as a young man, I may have driven a car as if I had stolen it, with time, experience and maturity that has all changed. One thing I have noticed in a few travels in other states where that seem more inclined to enforce some of the traffic laws on multi lane highways having to do with slower traffic being kept to the right side of the roadway. A couple of times over the resent years we have attended events in Kentucky as well as Arkansas and Michigan. We would pass through other states as part of the trips. Most notable was southern Illinois and Kentucky where the far-left lane was open most of the time and everyone seemed to stay too the right.  Highway signs were posted reminding drivers of the requirement of staying to the right unless you were overtaking slower moving traffic. Also, the State Police were visible in the center dived of highways and on ramps. Everyone seemed to give each other room to safely change lanes and to exit or enter the roadway. We were able to cover more miles in less time at a slower steady speed, what a concept. Another pet peeve are people that only use their turn signal after they have turned or changed lanes, if they signal at all. I can see what they have done so they don't have to remind me that they just cut someone off. Wouldn't hurt to look before changing lanes either. I tend to look at the side view mirrors of cars as I get near them. What this does is allows me to see where the drivers are looking or if they are even looking at the traffic around them. Newer cars have the little yellow lights that alert the driver if there is a car or truck in their blind spot on either side. Yet I have seen people just change lanes in front of me even with these lights lit and even I can see them. People need to realize that they are steering a couple of tons of steel at a high speed and very close to other cars when they are talking on the phone, drinking something, eating, looking at themselves in the mirror, or fussing with the radio. 

First snow of the season overnight. And of course, even though it's only an inch of snow, that will be fully melted by lunchtime, there were three vehicles in the ditch this morning on my commute to work.

My commute is 7 minutes long, and the highway portion is all of 5km/3miles.

And of course, even though we've been reminding people for literally weeks, and the tire shops have been reminding people and advertising since August; the snow is a total surprise to everyone 🙄, and the lineup outside of our service department of people that need their winters tires installed today is ridiculous.

Ugh, never changes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Used to be when you renewed your license you took a written test and a driving test. Then came renew by mail the assumption was if you didn't have any tickets then you got a license. Will all see violations by others when driving and it is very infrequent when you see any one pulled over.

I personally think everyone should be required to retake the drivers test every 5 years. That would help weed out the individuals who don't belong behind the wheel. Something else that needs to STOP is this BS of being able to register to vote at the DMV. Just my opinion!

This is not actually todays irk but a continuing irk that has irked me a few times now when making offers on eBay recently. It was, If the seller had the ability for you to make an offer you just made it, sent it and waited for an answer. Now it seems that the going trend or rule, whichever it is is to make an offer and you must have a predetermined payment method set in place incase the seller accepts the offer. Now this is not a problem if you wish to use a credit card or bank card which I do not. I use eBay gift cards so there is no attachment to my bank card. Call me old fashion if you will. The short of it is at 5 am I got a notification that a kit I have been after for years came up again. This time for sale as a buy now or make an offer. I started the make an offer process when the predetermined BS popped up. I tossed and turned until I knew the stores had opened so I could go pick up the eBay cards to continue the process with the hopes that the kit did not get snatched up.

Here's a hint as if it all worked out.. 🤔°°take a look see at the "what pleased me today" Topic.. 😊

On 10/21/2023 at 12:50 PM, A modeler named mike said:

Todays Irk happened while doing a load of laundry. Apparently the brown pinstriped bed sheets hadn't been washed before and the dye ruined my nice white 16th annual NNL East model show shirt..😡 no longer white and no longer wearable. 🤔°°Wish I had a time machine! No, No not the new AMT awb kit, I've got one of those.. 

Try washing it adding bleach (little more than recommended). It is supposed to be a white shirt anyway. Bleach should not affect the graphics. Hey, you have nothing to lose.

7 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

This is not actually todays irk but a continuing irk that has irked me a few times now when making offers on eBay recently. It was, If the seller had the ability for you to make an offer you just made it, sent it and waited for an answer. Now it seems that the going trend or rule, whichever it is is to make an offer and you must have a predetermined payment method set in place incase the seller accepts the offer.

Yup, I noticed this recently, and even though I use PayPal for eBay payments, that process did not sit well with me, so I canceled the procedure and will not  make any more offers until eBay gets back into reality (which is never).  Did they really have such a high number of offers where the buyer did not complete transaction to make them change the process?  Or did eBay just felt like making a change for the sake of change (like they have been doing all along to ruin the entire eBay experience)?  That is is a rhetorical questions.

7 minutes ago, peteski said:

Try washing it adding bleach (little more than recommended). It is supposed to be a white shirt anyway. Bleach should not affect the graphics. Hey, you have nothing to lose.

It went straight from the first wash back in the washer alone and with a batch of water and bleach mixture to soak then wash. I did that twice in a row. It all came out except for around the arm pit area..🤢 it didn't show signs of deodorant stain prior to washing..😡

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

Yup, I noticed this recently, and even though I use PayPal for eBay payments, that process did not sit well with me, so I canceled the procedure and will not  make any more offers until eBay gets back into reality (which is never).  Did they really have such a high number of offers where the buyer did not complete transaction to make them change the process?  Or did eBay just felt like making a change for the sake of change (like they have been doing all along to ruin the entire eBay experience)?  That is is a rhetorical questions.

I go through PayPal also. I just use the eBay gift cards instead of my bank card. The one thing I did notice when I used this predetermined payment method the few times I did my offers were accepted without a counter offer. Mind you the kits were not for much money and not in pristine condition or complete. This last kit was different circumstances..it was high on my list, it's rarely available and it was my time! 😆 so even though I'm not particularly excited about this way of making an offer I'll still use it now and then as long as its to my advantage to score something I need, want 🤔°° can't live without! 🙄 

51 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

It went straight from the first wash back in the washer alone and with a batch of water and bleach mixture to soak then wash. I did that twice in a row. It all came out except for around the arm pit area..🤢 it didn't show signs of deodorant stain prior to washing..😡

Interesting . . . :)

In that case, you could use Rit Color Remover.

2b3f933b248bc00a634e00c81b43b6be.jpg

I would not dunk the entire t-shirt in it, just make a small batch of rit and hot water (per instructions) in some dish pan or similar container container and just dunk the stained areas.  This stuff works really well!

7 minutes ago, peteski said:

Interesting . . . :)

In that case, you could use Rit Color Remover.

2b3f933b248bc00a634e00c81b43b6be.jpg

I would not dunk the entire t-shirt in it, just make a small batch of rit and hot water (per instructions) in some dish pan or similar container container and just dunk the stained areas.  This stuff works really well!

Thanks for the tip.. I didn't know of this rit product but I've used their dyes before. I'll put it on my shopping list and give it a try. If it happens to work I'll owe ya.

• Thanks 1

Ok,Sunday morning,i head out the door early to go to a car show.Pack the car,throw the kids in.The show is held on a large grassy field.The property is well maintained.Ok so it rains all day on Saturday.So i figure the show might be cancelled cause the field could be too wet and muddy to hold the show.Well,I check their FB page,and looked to see if there were any emails saying the show was cancelled.Nothing about the show being called off..So anyway,I drive to the show,about a 30 min drive.We get there,and I notice there are no cars on the show field.Then I see some guy waving a flag.He tells me the show was cancelled because the field was too muddy.I couldn’t believe it.I told the guy that there was no notification the show was called off.No FB mentions or emails.He said he was just told to inform people the show was cancelled.Then to top it off,I get an email from the show promoters at 2:30 in the afternoon that the show was cancelled because the field was too wet.Yea thanks,I could’ve used that news before i left my house.Stupid Morons.😤😤😤😡😠.So now the show is this coming Sunday.I don’t think I’ll be attending.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, A modeler named mike said:

This is not actually todays irk but a continuing irk that has irked me a few times now when making offers on eBay recently. It was, If the seller had the ability for you to make an offer you just made it, sent it and waited for an answer. Now it seems that the going trend or rule, whichever it is is to make an offer and you must have a predetermined payment method set in place incase the seller accepts the offer. Now this is not a problem if you wish to use a credit card or bank card which I do not. I use eBay gift cards so there is no attachment to my bank card. Call me old fashion if you will. The short of it is at 5 am I got a notification that a kit I have been after for years came up again. This time for sale as a buy now or make an offer. I started the make an offer process when the predetermined BS popped up. I tossed and turned until I knew the stores had opened so I could go pick up the eBay cards to continue the process with the hopes that the kit did not get snatched up.

Here's a hint as if it all worked out.. 🤔°°take a look see at the "what pleased me today" Topic.. 😊

From the seller side.. Yes! Non-payer offers is a problem on eBay. A big enough problem that I don’t accept offers.   Also, I get several non paying bidders every month. Last one bid on and won 14 items. 

In seller circles they are happy.

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

From the seller side.. Yes! Non-payer offers is a problem on eBay. A big enough problem that I don’t accept offers.   Also, I get several non paying bidders every month. Last one bid on and won 14 items. 

In seller circles they are happy.

I never understood the non-payer bit. Why bid in the first place? Maybe its the hype? Who knows? I only make offers to those sellers who offer it. Even though I like the feature and use it frequently I wouldn't offer it either if I were a seller. So I can understand your stance on the situation. 🤔.. ☝🤓 Mr. G. since I have your ear, an NNL East question. Above I stated a laundry dilemma involving a NNL East show shirt..😞 So what happens to leftover show tee-shirts if they're not sold? Like that's possible.. Lol.

Why? Because to have smooth bumper ends, the molds would get more complex.  But yes, I agree that it is not optimal.

Some Japanese kit companies even go as far as to make the gates (attachment points) on hidden areas of the parts, so no touch-ups are needed.

Nobody to blame but myself for this one.

It’s high 40’s today, but I needed to shoot some paint on some small pieces.  I stepped outside, shut the door to keep the heat in and sprayed the parts.  When I tried the door, it was locked!  Keep in mind, I’m wearing shorts and a t shirt as I usually do in the evening when we aren’t going anywhere.

To top it off, Sally is in the shower and can’t hear me knocking.

It wasn’t too bad outside, but I wouldn’t want to hang out for too terribly long either.😂😂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

Nobody to blame but myself for this one.

It’s high 40’s today, but I needed to shoot some paint on some small pieces.  I stepped outside, shut the door to keep the heat in and sprayed the parts.  When I tried the door, it was locked!  Keep in mind, I’m wearing shorts and a t shirt as I usually do in the evening when we aren’t going anywhere.

To top it off, Sally is in the shower and can’t hear me knocking.

It wasn’t too bad outside, but I wouldn’t want to hang out for too terribly long either.😂😂

I always put the keys in my pocket. I don’t wear shorts but sweat pants due to the Blood pressure meds make my legs cold in winter and fall..