Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

14 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

To each his own, but there's no way I'd destroy that beautiful tree.

I had an insurance company threaten to drop me if I didn't cut everything down close to my last house...so I found another insurance company.

The trees that overhang my current house save me...literally...many hundreds of dollars annually on AC.

One of my neighbors just this past week destroyed every big tree on her lot, and what used to be a lovely shady corner now looks like a sun-baked parking lot.

I don't get it.

This tree has been losing large limbs with just about every storm that rolls through. It doesn't cast any shade on my house only the backyard. It was topped out just before we bought the property years ago and that is an option I have to do again but the there is rot in the crotch of the tree. It's time to say bye bye. About 10 years ago I cut down four 40 foot pines that were dying off. I cut the lower dead branches up about 6 foot and that was ok for a few years but they still continued to dye off. I definitely don't mess the pine needles! On the other side of the coin I have planted all the other trees over the years on the property. I had planted a beautiful weeping birch which was eventually destroyed by an ice storm. The 4 pines, this maple and a mountain ash out front were the only trees originally. I'd like to take down the mountain ash but it does somewhat shade the house from the sun.  

Funny thing with the insurance company.. The tree guy told me that he had a job that the insurance company would only pay to remove what was on the house. No clean up or removal of the other debris and another job that the tree hit the roof and rolled off. They wouldn't pay to have it removed. I'm sure it all depends on ones policy states.

25 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Here in Canada, it's illegal to cut maple trees without a special permit from the federal government, being a national symbol and all. 

It would be similar to an American shooting a Bald Eagle.  😉

That makes sense and is understandable as it being your national symbol. I guess the bald eagles are safe since I'm not a hunter of animals.. Only model kits..😏

4 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

This tree has been losing large limbs with just about every storm that rolls through. It doesn't cast any shade on my house only the backyard. It was topped out just before we bought the property years ago and that is an option I have to do again but the there is rot in the crotch of the tree. It's time to say bye bye. About 10 years ago I cut down four 40 foot pines that were dying off. I cut the lower dead branches up about 6 foot and that was ok for a few years but they still continued to dye off. I definitely don't mess the pine needles! On the other side of the coin I have planted all the other trees over the years on the property. I had planted a beautiful weeping birch which was eventually destroyed by an ice storm. The 4 pines, this maple and a mountain ash out front were the only trees originally. I'd like to take down the mountain ash but it does somewhat shade the house from the sun.  

Funny thing with the insurance company.. The tree guy told me that he had a job that the insurance company would only pay to remove what was on the house. No clean up or removal of the other debris and another job that the tree hit the roof and rolled off. They wouldn't pay to have it removed. I'm sure it all depends on ones policy states.

Have you considered having an Arborist look at the tree? I think the damage was done by whoever was trimming the tree early on. Topping a tree is not the way to help the tree grow naturally and only invites so many other issues for the tree. 

12 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

That makes sense and is understandable as it being your national symbol. I guess the bald eagles are safe since I'm not a hunter of animals.. Only model kits..😏

Actually, Mike, I'm pulling your leg. Just want to see how many people fall for it. 😁

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, espo said:

I agree with you when it comes to trees. They also serve a phycological sense of wellbeing in addition to their contributions to the atmosphere. 

Sorry I haven't had a phycological sense of well being from this tree since I became its owner. Always picking up limbs and sticks. Unclogging the gutters of the little helicopter seedlings and leaves. Going through the fall ritual of continuous leave clean up. Not to mention the worries of it hitting the house from a storm. Once the tree is gone I believe I'll have some peace of mind. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, espo said:

Have you considered having an Arborist look at the tree? I think the damage was done by whoever was trimming the tree early on. Topping a tree is not the way to help the tree grow naturally and only invites so many other issues for the tree. 

No I haven't. Only because of where the rot is and how far it may have traveled in the trunk. 

• Sad 1

On Veteran's Day and Memorial my VFW post passes out "Buddy Poppies" at the local WalMart.  We have a donation bucket on the table, but do not actively solicit donations. What really irks me though are the people who will say "Don't need it" or will turn their head away and practically run into the store to avoid us. We are not pushy and will speak kindly to all the people who come through the door. But I have really wanted to just grab some of these people by the nape of the neck, shake them, and gently explain to them the meaning and cost of their freedom so they can be the jack-asses they are.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

On Veteran's Day and Memorial my VFW post passes out "Buddy Poppies" at the local WalMart.  We have a donation bucket on the table, but do not actively solicit donations. What really irks me though are the people who will say "Don't need it" or will turn their head away and practically run into the store to avoid us. We are not pushy and will speak kindly to all the people who come through the door. But I have really wanted to just grab some of these people by the nape of the neck, shake them, and gently explain to them the meaning and cost of their freedom so they can be the jack-asses they are.

First.. Thank you Ricky and all of the other vets here and all over for the sacrifices made to serve our country so we can enjoy the freedoms we still have. Unfortunately patriotism is at an all time low.. Sad and despicable.

26 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

...I have really wanted to just grab some of these people by the nape of the neck, shake them, and gently explain to them the meaning and cost of their freedom so they can be the jack-asses they are.

Hardly an hour goes by I don't feel exactly the same thing...though I'm not all that hot on the "gently" part.  :D

7 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

OK...if it's rotten, it needs to go.

I've had a few come down, narrowly missing anything of value other than one wheelbarrow smashed like a beer can under a semi tire.

I'm glad you agree.. Not that I'd change my mind. 😆

In a recent storm that tree had a 20 foot long 10 inch dia. Limb snap. It was lodged at the break between two other limbs a 45° angle to the ground. It just missed my neighbors new shed, miracle? Don't know but I'll take it. 

• Haha 1

There was a large oak tree next to my driveway, but over the property line so it was owned by my neighbor. It had several trunks out of a single stump, and a bunch of rot at the bottom.  It also littered my driveway with acorns. My cars have what looks like hail damage from those. Tree was on a hill so when it would come down it was headed my way!

I spoke to the neighbor and she wasn’t interested in taking care of it. I knew she was going to sell so I waited instead of starting a war with a person who was cranky to begin with.

New neighbor! I advise him if situation and he gets the tree removed. No more worry about it coming down in a storm and damaging my cars and house!

So what happens? Nice new neighbor backs his lawn tractor into my basketball hoop post. It snaps off and takes out my Buick’s rear door and quarter panel. Yes he paid for the damage.

On 11/11/2023 at 4:04 PM, TarheelRick said:

A shame really. I picked up one along with a donation a couple years ago. It’s still hanging on my visor in my car. 

I almost had the same problem with my debit card again. But here's the kicker. I was ordering another Eleanor kit from the Ukraine model site. (I caused a few problems with the body. My own dumb fault. Live and learn.) As soon as the order went through, I get a text asking if I had placed an order with the same company out of Florida. Thankfully it was stopped before anything drastic happened. However I emailed the Ukraine site asking them to cancel my order. I'll never use that site ever again.

Oh, and as for the Mustang? A stock fastback body will work.

13 hours ago, That Plasticated Guy said:

I emailed the Ukraine site asking them to cancel my order. They replied saying I won't get a refund until Monday. That's fine with me since I'm done with them anyway.

Now let’s see if they follow through with that statement. That’s why I never order from any European hobby store.

I ordered from one overseas hobby store and that was Hobby Japan. They have some good stuff you might find here but takes a long time to arrive at your mailbox. That’s fine by me because I know they have a good reputation in customer service.

I've bought a number of diecast, model kits, resin kits and parts, 3d printed etc from hobby shops/vendors in the UK, France, Italy, Germany, Ukraine and Estonia--never had any issues, just long waits in some occasions.  Same with Hong Kong and Japanese vendors.    I guess I've just been lucky.  The worst vendor issues I've had to deal with were vendors in the US.

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Now let’s see if they follow through with that statement. That’s why I never order from any European hobby store.

I ordered from one overseas hobby store and that was Hobby Japan. They have some good stuff you might find here but takes a long time to arrive at your mailbox. That’s fine by me because I know they have a good reputation in customer service.

I'm glad to read these comments about overseas purchases of model kits. I have a few kits on my list that I've been VERY hesitant about buying due not knowing about what extra fees may be attached thus making the purchase not worth the money. More importantly is the thought that was mentioned makes me hesitant is the chance of not receiving the merchandise and/or no refund. I had an incident during the beginning of the outbreak of the Wuhan flu where my wife was hell bent on ordering a Mystery box from some online site that sells off unclaimed goods. You were guaranteed your monies worth.. She went and ordered two @ somewhere around $80.00. The payment cleared and soon a tracking # was given. We tracked it for a couple of months and then 💥 it had vanished... I email the company and they had said it's coming! It never showed up at my house and I was never given or offered a refund or an explanation. When we opened a PayPal case against them it was too late due to the time that had lapsed..😡 that company got an angry not so nice email and I vowed to never buy from out of the country ever again. So now if there's a kit I want I simply have to hope one shows up on our shores and I get to be the lucky bud who buys it. Not a very good plan. So far I've scored NONE!..😡

It sounds to me like the issue isn't in ukraine. there are various malicious apps that route your web traffic but when you go to pay it sends you to their own payments pages. if the problem was in ukraine they wouldn't be taking payment in florida which leads me to think you have a malicious app on your device. I order from all around the world and the payments are always taken in the home country. when i order from hong kong, the payment is taken in hong kong and the same for every other country. if your business is in france you wouldn't take your payments in brazil.