Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

On 11/18/2023 at 11:26 AM, That Plasticated Guy said:

I almost had the same problem with my debit card again. But here's the kicker. I was ordering another Eleanor kit from the Ukraine model site. (I caused a few problems with the body. My own dumb fault. Live and learn.) As soon as the order went through, I get a text asking if I had placed an order with the same company out of Florida. Thankfully it was stopped before anything drastic happened. However I emailed the Ukraine site asking them to cancel my order. I'll never use that site ever again.

Oh, and as for the Mustang? A stock fastback body will work.

Too bad, because USCP has some really nice products. I've always received them in a timely manner, and have never had issues.

I prefer the self checkouts!  Bought six items at Ollies (four kits...all the same, box of coffee and a calendar).  After I paid it just didnt sound right so I looked at the receipt.....yep charged me twice for the coffee.  No one else in line so no pressure but how do you screw up a small transaction??

1 hour ago, HomerS said:

...yep charged me twice for the coffee.  No one else in line so no pressure but how do you screw up a small transaction??

Which is why I always watch what rings through on the screen, one item at a time...which only takes a small fraction of a second per. I've often had scanners apparently double-scan a reflection as the item was being moved away from them, and fairly frequently physically-marked or "sale" prices show up wrong on the screen.

It's easier and quicker to get a human attendant to correct a double-scan or a wrong price as soon as it happens than it is to have to go back through the tape to figure out what went wrong...especially when there's a line for the self-checkout aisle.

Technology doesn't mean you just take for granted it's working perfectly and eliminate any personal responsibility.

Unless of course you're sleeping in your Tesla as it crashes into a big white truck it mistook for open space, which can result in permanent elimination of taking personal responsibility.   ;)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

Haven't been around, have a long list of things to irk about.  For now, how about getting a shear at Home Deephole, then finding out the safety latch doesn't work.  So I found the same thing to exchange, and discovered the part is wrong, must have been metric or something.

IMG_7557.thumb.jpeg.a17182e310bbbe917967defc85dc265c.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Haven't been around, have a long list of things to irk about.  For now, how about getting a shear at Home Deephole, then finding out the safety latch doesn't work.  So I found the same thing to exchange, and discovered the part is wrong, must have been metric or something.

IMG_7557.thumb.jpeg.a17182e310bbbe917967defc85dc265c.jpeg

I was a sheetmetal worker most of my life and WISS was the only snips I would buy. Looks like quality has gone downhill since I bought my last pair.

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Impressive "quality assurance", both by the manufacturer and the retailer.

But why would anyone think a tool should be fit for its purpose?

That's just old-fashioned.

Besides...there's surely a "metal shear" app for your phone.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Metal shear app.. 😆 That's a good one but could sadly be true in these times of heighten stupidity. Of course We know better but.. When I was working at the cabinet shop we stumbled on the cell phone level app. We laughed and put it to the test. It was never true but it did have a sobering affect about the majority of levels we used. They did not truly match with each other either.  We went to a lazar level after that. 

40 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Ah but in the never ending quest to streamline cost the customer is now doing the quality assurance. They just need to train the customers better.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

When I was working at the cabinet shop we stumbled on the cell phone level app. We laughed and put it to the test. It was never true but it did have a sobering affect about the majority of levels we used. They did not truly match with each other either.  We went to a lazar level after that. 

All the levels I rely on to accurately indicate level were made in the USA when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, and have adjustable bubbles so you can zero them.

True story...when I was looking over my last house pre-purchase with the beautiful blonde realtor babe, I noticed there were several wonky courses of block at the top of one basement wall, with red lines snapped from a chalkline going every which way. Obviously the highly-skilled block guys didn't understand how to use a line-level.

I remarked on the wonky last course of block that had been chipped and hammered so that a reasonably level bottom plate could be installed for the stud wall above it.

The realtor babe had an instant answer: "Well, this house was built in 1969, and I'm not sure levels had been invented back then".

And that, boys and girls, is why realtors make the big bucks.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

All the levels I rely on to accurately indicate level were made in the USA when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, and have adjustable bubbles so you can zero them.

True story...when I was looking over my last house pre-purchase with the beautiful blonde realtor babe, I noticed there were several wonky courses of block at the top of one basement wall, with red lines snapped from a chalkline going every which way. Obviously the highly-skilled block guys didn't understand how to use a line-level.

I remarked on the wonky last course of block that had been chipped and hammered so that a reasonably level bottom plate could be installed for the stud wall above it.

The realtor babe had an instant answer: "Well, this house was built in 1969, and I'm not sure levels had been invented back then".

And that, boys and girls, is why realtors make the big bucks.  :D

We a few older USA made wooden levels with adjustments and a few newer levels that did not. Our good levels were constantly being dropped or used for purposes they were not intended for. I caught one worker using a 4 footer as a pry bar to lift an 30" stove so he could adjust the feet to raise the height..😡 we went laser and alleviated the reoccurring cost of replacing levels. I still used a 2 footer to set the pitch/ level of the cabinet with the back wall level line then recheck the front of the cabinet run with the laser. Unfortunately stupid people are plentiful, good workers with experience and good work ethics are not. I don't miss any of it! 

As for the realtors response..🤔 she is blonde! 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

...Our good levels were constantly being dropped or used for purposes they were not intended for. I caught one worker using a 4 footer as a pry bar to lift an 30" stove so he could adjust the feet to raise the height...

To a chimp that can swing a hammer, pretty much everything looks like something to hammer on.  ;)

• Haha 1

Since I'm here at IRK alley..

On my list of must haves is an Eldon Bathtub buggy. I built one as a kid and I always liked the car, weird as it is. I found one that was more than I wished to pay but was listed as a make an offer. I messaged the seller in the wee hours after midnight as to my interest and that I was going to make an offer of $xxx when the morning hours arrived. Reason being I use a pre-loaded cards to pay on the site and I had zip on a card to pay. I received a message from the seller that the amount I stated was "nice". My thought was they unofficially approve. After loading the account I was ready to make an official offer. I did so and sent it off. the clock ran down and no answer as to an acceptance of the offer. I went back to the posted item and it was relisted cheaper but still above my offer. I know that a seller does not have to accept an offer but to not answer back and let the clock run out than repost it cheaper.. As much as I want this kit and I'm able to cough up the difference in price vs offer which is only $10. Different. It still just gets my britches in a bunch. Do I get the kit? Do I move on and hope for another time?  I've got some thinking to do..   

😲📣 As I was ready to submit this post I received a notification that the seller sent me a message.. It appears that this Irk was a mix up on multiple levels. Levels..lol that's an Irk just above.. The seller apparently was having a bad day with the site. My card info wasn't available for them to view to accept my offer and they didn't know how to react. They let the offer time limit run out and reposted the kit meanwhile sent me a message that they did so. 😡 only they had entered the wrong amount. After a message or two I bought the kit for the amount I originally offered. So it started out as an Irk but ended up not. But since it was a rollercoaster ride with a dose of irritation I'll leave at IRK alley and move on to next kit on my list..

My 25-year old coffee maker finally passed away this AM. I had to make cowboy coffee, as it's simply impossible for me to become fully conscious without a hefty belt of caffeine...or four.

My old one had no bells, no whistles, no clock, no internet-connection, wouldn't remind me my dental appointment was coming up, or do the laundry while it cleaned the cat's box.

It was just a simple, dumb machine. You put ground coffee in the filter basket, filled the chamber with a carafe-full of water, turned it to ON, and it made coffee...for 25 years.

The cheapest one I could find today, without going out of my way and wasting time-is-money, is programmable, has lots of cool lights and a screen and pretty buttons that look like they're fun to push.

I'll be surprised if it makes it to two years.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My 25-year old coffee maker finally passed away this AM. I had to make cowboy coffee, as it's simply impossible for me to become fully conscious without a hefty belt of caffeine...or four.

My old one had no bells, no whistles, no clock, no internet-connection, wouldn't remind me my dental appointment was coming up, or do the laundry while it cleaned the cat's box.

It was just a simple, dumb machine. You put ground coffee in the filter basket, filled the chamber with a carafe-full of water, turned it to ON, and it made coffee...for 25 years.

The cheapest one I could find today, without going out of my way and wasting time-is-money, is programmable, has lots of cool lights and a screen and pretty buttons that look like they're fun to push.

Just wait till they start putting AI in the code for the coffee makers and your coffee maker starts having an identity crisis. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Think I have an old one in my shed, will take a look..... didn't know they are rare.

What thread am I in? 🥴 Got new carpet, the estimator who came out missed measuring the little hall, about a yard short is what the installer told me, he was a bit ticked.  Can't get anything done without Bowl Stuff happening.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Just wait till they start putting AI in the code for the coffee makers and your coffee maker starts having an identity crisis. 

Especially if it identifies as a flamethrower...

Buttcha gotts to look at the bright side. Think how much fun it would be to toast marshmallows with a psychotic coffee maker.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I broke the carafe on my old coffee maker I had for years. Try finding a replacement and if you do, the cost is ridiculous. So I shopped for a new coffee maker and had to look through all the fancy ones as pointed out above. Finally settled on a cheap Black & Decker that has a capacity of 3 cups and nothing fancy about it. On/off switch. My wife doesn't drink coffee so this is fine for me.

I remember my mom and dad made coffee the old fashioned way….  a stovetop percolator coffee pot. I know my sister found a glass one I’ve been looking for for years.  Coffee tasted 1000 times better than coffee makers today.

I remember the holidays and family get togethers they used an electric percolator coffee pot.