Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

50 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I know that feeling well, imagine my disappointment that my turbo hoover wasn't in fact turbo'd in any way

That's pretty funny, but I well remember the time the marketing bozos began attaching the word "turbo" to everything imaginable, and mostly things "turbo" had no relationship to whatsoever. Like Turbo Cat Litter, ya know?

About as annoying as the ubiquitous "solutions" that became part of every new business name for a decade, or the even more ridiculous "awesome" that became the positive adjective of choice for for the most mundane and insipid.

Can you say "mindless rebleater" boys and girls?

• Like 2

I just said to the wife about the word "turbo" being used in every mechanical thing advertised and then I turned the page and read your post!   LOL

And I never use the word "awesome". Just really nothing happens that great in my life or that I see in a regular day.

I remember having a Sony Walkman in the 80s that had a 'Turbo Bass Boost' button.  I think I've seen 'turbo' applied to multi blade shavers.    I've even applied it to one of my dogs --Beardsley--a chi-terrier mix that somehow got the nickname Turbo Squid, which I later discovered is a 3D modeling website. 

I’m babysitting the grands while my daughter and husband took a weekend to celebrate her 40th birthday

i was instructed to feed them pizza and the menu was on the kitchen bulletin board.  I order thinking the bill was around $32 and was surprised at $45!   So I grabbed a menu from the counter to take home. Sure enough the prices were up some 20%. 

We were sitting in the kitchen and saw this black caravan with little flashing lights on top pull in the driveway. This girl gets out of the passenger front seat. Runs towards the kitchen porch and chucks this box up into the air and it lands quite loudly on the porch floor. She then runs back to the car and they were gone before it dawned on us what had just happened. A box from Harry and David. Good thing there wasn't anything breakable inside. Must be Amazon, UPS or FedEx sub-contracted them to deliver packages. I never thought to check the camera in the driveway.

On 12/15/2023 at 9:33 PM, A modeler named mike said:

He's ready and so an i for his homecoming. Funny thing is the trying s dealing with such stressful events this is something that shouldn't happen.

imes that I'm currently experiencing is not from him but from professionals who are caring for or businesses who provide a service. Hospital bed was to be delivered today. Installer was instructed to call before coming due to me not being at the location. What did he do? Came to the house, no one answered. Called and no one answered. He left the house and went on his merry way. As the day went on and I "hadn't" received any call I made contact with the Hospice liaison who had authorized and set up the delivery. She gave me the number to the facility who was to deliver it. Ends up the guy apparently called me and I didn't receive the call due to a dead spot in the Hospital. I asked him was he still coming and when? He stated his work day was over but he was scheduled for tomorrow first thing! 😲.. So I asked.. What time are we talking so I can make arrangements. He said he gets in at 11:00 and the company is not far so around 11:30. 🤔°° gee dad gets discharod idea. Costco found that the poor delievery servicwpeged ot of big companies have found thatearly afternoon plus I was always under the impression first thing meant early in the day.. Silly me.. Crazy how a low level installer can with no authority can rearrange everyone's schedule..😡#×@*! hhve found

The proverbial weak link in the chain. Unfortunately this shouldn't be something contracted out. 

A lot of companies that subcontracting delivery and setup was not a good idea. The poor service given by the subcontractor was reflecting badly on Costco and they brought it back in house. 

Have an armadillo move in my yard to try and make a new golf rang with his digging.. I missed him Saturday early goin for a hair cut but next time it’s Mr 12 gauge shotgun and a turkey load.  I have to shoot waist high because of my arm still isn’t right where I broke my arm.

15 minutes ago, slusher said:

Have an armadillo move in my yard to try and make a new golf rang with his digging.. I missed him Saturday early goin for a hair cut but next time it’s Mr 12 gauge shotgun and a turkey load.  I have to shoot waist high because of my arm still isn’t right where I broke my arm.

Shooting from the hip makes you a fortified gun slinger. If that varmint knows what's best he'd be rolling on out if there.. 

19 minutes ago, slusher said:

Shooting from the hip makes you a fortified gun slinger. If that varmint knows what's best he'd be rolling on out if there.. 

7 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

The proverbial weak link in the chain. Unfortunately this shouldn't be something contracted out. 

A lot of companies that subcontracting delivery and setup was not a good idea. The poor service given by the subcontractor was reflecting badly on Costco and they brought it back in house. 

This delivery service is in house. The same fellow showed up today unscheduled and no call before hand to deliver an nebulizer and some Rx that was ordered by hospice.  Technically he's still the weakest link.

Edited by A modeler named mike

1 hour ago, A modeler named mike said:

This irk I have no one to blame except for myself. I'll just say potty chairs have a bucket with a lid. Make sure that lid is off the bucket when setting it up for someone to use. Nothing like having a wet hand and having to clean the carpet at 4am.. 😡

unfortunately this will happen more than once. and with dementia there is a degree of trying to hide things. my gran had one of these chairs and after she used it she would put the lid back on it. what we ended up doing was getting some offcuts of linoleum for the side of the bed over to the chair. it doesn't stop it happening but it makes its much faster for clean up. you have to make sure the linoleum doesn't curl up at the edges as its a bad tripping hazzard but quality velcro should hold it in place and keep the corner and edges down if you use a couple of rows on every edge. even the good velcro loses it grip so you may need to reapply it every couple of weeks but its much better than having to pick them up from the floor. another thing we did to help was on steps we changed the carpet colour as she kept not lifting her feet when trying to go up them. changing the colour made her lift her feet as she could tell the difference easier. before doing this she would have a fall 3 or 4 times a week. I didn't have a decent nights sleep for 5 years but i still cherish the memories. have you been given a bed alarm? it is one of the most useful things we had, it was connected to her neck alarm system so if she was out of bed for more than 5 mins the alarm would sound. i think the current ones mostly work through phones but the older ones would be my choice simply bacause cell phones dont always have a signal and need charged. the old sytem has a battery backup and doesn't need a cell signal which i just thought was a better idea safety wise. not everything has to be linked to a phone

7 hours ago, stitchdup said:

unfortunately this will happen more than once. and with dementia there is a degree of trying to hide things. my gran had one of these chairs and after she used it she would put the lid back on it. what we ended up doing was getting some offcuts of linoleum for the side of the bed over to the chair. it doesn't stop it happening but it makes its much faster for clean up. you have to make sure the linoleum doesn't curl up at the edges as its a bad tripping hazzard but quality velcro should hold it in place and keep the corner and edges down if you use a couple of rows on every edge. even the good velcro loses it grip so you may need to reapply it every couple of weeks but its much better than having to pick them up from the floor. another thing we did to help was on steps we changed the carpet colour as she kept not lifting her feet when trying to go up them. changing the colour made her lift her feet as she could tell the difference easier. before doing this she would have a fall 3 or 4 times a week. I didn't have a decent nights sleep for 5 years but i still cherish the memories. have you been given a bed alarm? it is one of the most useful things we had, it was connected to her neck alarm system so if she was out of bed for more than 5 mins the alarm would sound. i think the current ones mostly work through phones but the older ones would be my choice simply bacause cell phones dont always have a signal and need charged. the old sytem has a battery backup and doesn't need a cell signal which i just thought was a better idea safety wise. not everything has to be linked to a phone

I truly appreciate any and all input and tips. Its definitely a learning experience. I don't currently have a bed alarm yet but it's on my list of items to inquire about from the Hospice group today. "Jokingly" I thought to myself maybe bubble wrap on the floor at the area where he would step out of bed. The different color on the steps is a very good idea, fortunately we live in a rancher. We do have a basement but that door is locked and he can not open the door, I switched the door knob around so the lock mechanism is on the basement side. I've only been caring for dad since last mid October, up anywhere from 2 to 4 times a night. My best sleep was the 6 days he was in the Hospital. Even though I was up late and rise and shine early the sleep was uninterrupted.

4 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

I truly appreciate any and all input and tips. Its definitely a learning experience. I don't currently have a bed alarm yet but it's on my list of items to inquire about from the Hospice group today. "Jokingly" I thought to myself maybe bubble wrap on the floor at the area where he would step out of bed. The different color on the steps is a very good idea, fortunately we live in a rancher. We do have a basement but that door is locked and he can not open the door, I switched the door knob around so the lock mechanism is on the basement side. I've only been caring for dad since last mid October, up anywhere from 2 to 4 times a night. My best sleep was the 6 days he was in the Hospital. Even though I was up late and rise and shine early the sleep was uninterrupted.

I feel for you sir, but one thing i found that helped me was when i did have a break i went out somewhere away from it all, and my sense of humour got a lot sicker but its really a case of looking for the bright moments and cherishing those because unfortunately as carers we tend to forget the good times when they were themselves and only see the bad times. there are some things i laughed at that had people thinking i was insane but they just dont know what we have to do. I hate to admit it but i was slightly relieved when my gran passed but not because she passed, more because she wasn't struggling anymore. when they have a bad day sometimes going through old family photos and getting the names down on them can bring them a little out of it as its things that are fresh in their memories so much less confusing for them. I'm not qualified in any way related to any of this but you do what you have to do for family and friends. also if they wear glasses make sure they are clean, for some reason it seems to help too.

10 hours ago, slusher said:

I don't know much about armadillos but seems a bit extreme to kill it. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've had to catch moles in my yard every now and then and I still remember the first time I swore once I got him I was gonna kill it with a shovel but couldn't bring myself to do it. I've released them in the woods far away from anything.

I get it. An armadillo would be a different situation than a little mole.

Edited by TonyK
Addition

2 minutes ago, TonyK said:

I don't know much about armadillos but seems a bit extreme to kill it. Maybe I'm wrong.

I've had to catch moles in my yard every now and then and I still remember the first time I swore once I got him I was gonna kill it with a shovel but couldn't bring myself to do it. I've released them in the woods far away from anything.

I get it. An armadillo would be a different situation than a little mole.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/08/04/us/armadillo-bullet-story-twitter-trnd/index.html

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

I feel for you sir, but one thing i found that helped me was when i did have a break i went out somewhere away from it all, and my sense of humour got a lot sicker but its really a case of looking for the bright moments and cherishing those because unfortunately as carers we tend to forget the good times when they were themselves and only see the bad times. there are some things i laughed at that had people thinking i was insane but they just dont know what we have to do. I hate to admit it but i was slightly relieved when my gran passed but not because she passed, more because she wasn't struggling anymore. when they have a bad day sometimes going through old family photos and getting the names down on them can bring them a little out of it as its things that are fresh in their memories so much less confusing for them. I'm not qualified in any way related to any of this but you do what you have to do for family and friends. also if they wear glasses make sure they are clean, for some reason it seems to help too.

I too use humour to make light of it all and keep myself sane. I'm surprised at how many others have had this end of life experience with loved ones. Just know that you are normal in being relieved that your gran passed. I too look forward to the day my dad will be reunited with mom and so does he. Although dad is not in the last stages of life just yet it is somewhat of a struggle to watch nature taking its course. As for his glasses he actually sees better without them. I think he may have been confused when the eye doctor asked him questions during the eye exam. Unfortunately I wasn't the family member who oversaw that appointment. 

Edited by A modeler named mike
Added content
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

Funny.. ricocheting of the armor was my fist thought when Carl mentioned his irk. Than again I know nothing about armadillos since I live in Maryland. 

i'm pretty sure someone got a darwin award for the same thing a few years ago, or at least an "honorable mention" in one of the books

Just mailed Christmas presents to our 1st great grandson (2 more greats on the way) and the USPS shipping was twice the cost of the gift!

For about 15 more dollars could have delivered them my self round trip!

Can't sell models anymore because of shipping costs no one wants to pay what they are worth!