Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I have so many irks going on it isn't funny.  My biggest one is dealing with the water system in my neighborhood.  I'm on the the water district board, going on 8 years.  This subdivision was built by a crook in 1964, "wildcat" developers back in the day would low bid build with almost no regulations by the State or local jurisdictions.  He ended up being convicted for fraud, and died in prison.  So we have had leaks, and we never get caught up, we lose about an acre foot a month.  I discovered a leak last week, and it's becoming a cluster you-know-what.  Looks like the bridge was built over the main, massive leaks have been found, but it's also *under* the bridge, so the Manager is having to figure out how to re-route this section.  On top of that, we are having weather, so it's getting real fun for the contractor.

I just got a new GM 350 crate engine in Blue Cloud.  It's running fine, but there is a coolant leak at the thermostat and hose connection, so leaks leaks everywhere!!!  Mine should be easy to fix.

IMG_8226.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

I have so many irks going on it isn't funny.  My biggest one is dealing with the water system in my neighborhood.  I'm on the the water district board, going on 8 years.  This subdivision was built by a crook in 1964, "wildcat" developers back in the day would low bid build with almost no regulations by the State or local jurisdictions.  He ended up being convicted for fraud, and died in prison.  So we have had leaks, and we never get caught up, we lose about an acre foot a month.  I discovered a leak last week, and it's becoming a cluster you-know-what.  Looks like the bridge was built over the main, massive leaks have been found, but it's also *under* the bridge, so the Manager is having to figure out how to re-route this section.  On top of that, we are having weather, so it's getting real fun for the contractor.

Ah yes. Few things in life as much fun as cleaning up after morons, especially crooked morons.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Few things in life as much fun as cleaning up after morons, especially crooked morons.

Often the usual end result of the "open bidding process" ( to be fair to anyone who wants to bid ) and usually selecting the "lowest bid" ( to be fair to the taxpayers ) with the unintended consequence of such messes and in the end it is on the backs of the rank and file taxpayers to clean up that mess.

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Often the usual end result of the "open bidding process" ( to be fair to anyone who wants to bid ) and usually selecting the "lowest bid" ( to be fair to the taxpayers ) with the unintended consequence of such messes and in the end it is on the backs of the rank and file taxpayers to clean up that mess.

Unintended negative consequences are all too common results of well-intentioned actions, policies, and procedures instituted by groups or individuals who don't fully think things through.

"What's the worst that can happen?" should be a prominent consideration during any decision-making process.

EDIT: ...particularly in engineering. Any engineer who's not thinking down the road about potential failure modes is only doing half the job. The big difference between good race-car prep (or car building in general) and everything else is a constant awareness of what can go wrong, 'cause ol' Murphy is always looking over your shoulder to exploit any weakness. 

Acknowledging the potential for and planning for failure is the reason that aircraft have double and triple redundant systems, why wiring harnesses and plumbing elements are carefully supported to prevent chafing, and why work done to anything that flies is supposed to be done by highly qualified people and double-checked by even more highly-qualified people.

Problems with engineered things, from water systems to airliners, are ALWAYS way more expensive to address after the failure than if addressed thoroughly early in the game, but somehow, the legions of bean-counters working away behind the scenes everywhere haven't yet accepted this one great truth universally.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

Local oldies ['70s/'80s some '70s and 'early '90s] radio station I usually listen to at work started playing Taylor Swift almost constantly last Thursday evening.

I mean besides the CRTC mandatory Canadian content which was about 1/3.  So you'd have one or two Canadian then  two or three Swift. 🤮

Pretty bad. 

That went on until this morning when they switched to an all "modern top 40" format. 🙄

I'm not a 14 year old girl so I'll be listening to another station from now on. 😧

Edited by Can-Con
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

When radio stations change format, they'll usually play something that will annoy the old listeners until they switch away, often for a couple of days straight in order to get the point across.    The choice that station made was genius...

• Haha 1

Many decades ago, when I was decades younger, my favourite radio station was WWWW in the Detroit area. One day, overnight, they switched from rock to playing both kinds of music - country and western. I guess they couldn't compete with the then rising star that was WRIF in Detroit. 

Ya gotta go were the money is. 

I listen to all kinds of music including both kinds but the Canadian content rules have driven me to choose US based stations when given the chance as their content can be much broader based hence more enjoyable. I can't recall the last time I heard the Allman Brothers or Junior Johnson on a local station. My station choice these days is WICD in upstate NY.

cheers, Graham

2 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Many decades ago, when I was decades younger, my favourite radio station was WWWW in the Detroit area. One day, overnight, they switched from rock to playing both kinds of music - country and western. I guess they couldn't compete with the then rising star that was WRIF in Detroit. 

Ya gotta go were the money is. 

I listen to all kinds of music including both kinds but the Canadian content rules have driven me to choose US based stations when given the chance as their content can be much broader based hence more enjoyable. I can't recall the last time I heard the Allman Brothers or Junior Johnson on a local station. My station choice these days is WICD in upstate NY.

cheers, Graham

Yea, you can only listen to Nickleback,  Alanis Morrisette and Steppenwolf so may times until you want to go down to the station and burn it down. 😈

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Mark said:

When radio stations change format, they'll usually play something that will annoy the old listeners until they switch away, often for a couple of days straight in order to get the point across.    The choice that station made was genius...

Last time it happened here I had a station on the radio in the car going to work. The guys were listening to a heavier station when I got there.

Went out to the car to eat lunch and thought someone was screwing with me and changed the station, totally different "top 40" play list, different D.J.s, etc. Absolutely no warning whatsoever. 

Oh well. Thankfully I have loads of data on my phone and a blue tooth radio and don't have to listen to that carp. 😁

Edited by Can-Con
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2024 at 4:06 PM, espo said:

Had a crown break while eating a sandwich at lunch today. I had broken one on the other side of my mouth a couple of weeks ago and the dentist did the impressions and sent them off for a new crown and installed a temporary crown on that side. Now I have to go get another temporary crown for the side that broke today. 

I also had one of those acrylic resin temp. crowns break on my several years ago on my back molar.  I just cleaned it really well in 99% IPA and glued it back together using CA glue.  Then I put it back in and the temporary cement was still on the tooth stump.  It held until my permanent crown arrived.  Of course I was not chewing on that side. :)

17 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Yea, you can only listen to Nickleback,  Alanis Morrisette and Steppenwolf so may times until you want to go down to the station and burn it down. 😈

Hence the reason I refuse to buy a new car with one of those fancy “turn the knob” shifters. I’m afraid I’ll be driving and Steppenwolf will come on the radio and when I go to turn it down I’ll be instantly parked in the middle of the freeway.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Last time it happened here I had a station on the radio in the car going to work. The guys were listening to a heavier station when I got there.

Went out to the car to eat lunch and thought someone was screwing with me and changed the station, totally different "top 40" play list, different D.J.s, etc. Absolutely no warning whatsoever. 

Oh well. Thankfully I have loads of data on my phone and a blue tooth radio and don't have to listen to that carp. 😁

Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify and a Bluetooth speaker is all I need, haven’t used regular radio in years. I use SiriusXM exclusively in my car or music on my phone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, peteski said:

I also had one of those acrylic resin temp. crowns break on my several years ago on my back molar.  I just cleaned it really well in 99% IPA and glued it back together using CA glue.  Then I put it back in and the temporary cement was still on the tooth stump.  It held until my permanent crown arrived.  Of course I was not chewing on that side. :)

Just got back from my Dentist. The crown for my right bottom tooth had arrived and was installed. The crown on the left bottom that broke this weekend will have to be removed and a temp installed next week when the dentist can schedule. The Dentist cut me a 50/50 deal on the lower left since it had been less than 5 years since it was replaced, so that's some good news anyway. 

• Like 4

Early today I received a phone call from my daughter that my granddaughter who is in high school needed some ibuprofen to be taken to her at school. I got there and following their protocol I rang the buzzer for the office to answer and shoe my drivers license to them by way of the camera so I can be cleared to come in. I rang the buzzer several times standing there. No one answered so I walked in and went to the office. They were flabbergasted when I walked in. I told them that I had rang several times and no one answered. What was I supposed to do? Wait till someone decided to do their job? I told them that they need to do a reassessment of their security setup. It's not acceptable and this must be addressed! I told them imagine If I had a beef and was a bad individual with a grudge you all could have been seriously injured or even killed!! I hope they take this breach seriously! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, A modeler named mike said:

... I told them imagine If I had a beef and was a bad individual with a grudge you all could have been seriously injured or even killed!! I hope they take this breach seriously! 

What a shame that's even a thought that has to occur to anyone now.

Anybody who insists things in the past weren't better, more civilized...just think about this.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2024 at 4:20 PM, peteski said:

While more sad than irked, I'm bummed out that Little Motor Kar Company has shut down. The last company that was re-plating model car parts.

Dale, as great as he looks, is in his 80s!  He said he offered to teach people how to do it and assume his aging equipment but nobody wanted to do this work. So it’s over.

And he didn’t give any notice because of what happened to Don Holthaus when he graciously gave notice!  

Edited by Tom Geiger
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Dale, as great as he looks, is in his 80s!  He said he offered to teach people how to go it and assume his aging equipment but nobody wanted to do this work. So it’s over.

And he didn’t give any notice because of what happened to Don Holthaus when he graciously gave notice!  

Oh, I don't blame Dale or hold it against him.  But it is sad that this leaves the more advanced modelers with nowhere to get their parts "chromed".  The spray on chrome paints out there simply do not match the reflectivity or durability if the vacuum metalizing process.

42 minutes ago, peteski said:

Oh, I don't blame Dale or hold it against him.  But it is sad that this leaves the more advanced modelers with nowhere to get their parts "chromed".  The spray on chrome paints out there simply do not match the reflectivity or durability if the vacuum metalizing process.

i saw this on wheeler dealers. they used it to redo the chrome on the plastic trim for a jag xjs headlight

https://www.yeoldestrippery.com/mirror-silvering

• Like 1