Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Never heard of Primewell...maybe a Chinese brand?   I put a set of Michelins on my Jeep before winter, been happy with them.  The original Goodyear Forteras (very soft compound) were worn after 33k miles, I don't think they had been rotated. 

4 hours ago, espo said:

Amazing what a little financial recognition can do. I'm not familiar with the Primewell tire brand, but I think your problems may be in the preparation of your wheels when they were mounted. The surface of the wheel bead needs to be cleaned as often the previously mounted tires will sometimes leave behind residue that can create a very slow leak. As the tire slowly deflates it tends to reduce the seal pressure between the tire and the rim. You are experiencing some pretty bad winter weather and the cold ambient temperature also lowers the tire pressure. I have know idea how often you or someone else checks your tire pressure, but it is possible that the combination of low tire pressure and then a drop in temperature could cause the lose the seal. Another reason to monitor your tire pressure year round is that if a tire is driven on with low pressure it can generate a lot of heat and sidewall flex to the point that the tire can actually come apart. If you haven't already I would have who ever services this tire go ahead and dismount it from the rim and check the condition of the mounting surfaces on both the rim and the tire.           

Primewell are made by the oil company Getty.  They were sold/installed by the local Firestone.  I bought the car with Kumho's at 35,000 miles....they were okay but not the best in wet traction.  I've had Goodyear Eagle's on a Stealth and their all season tires were some of the worst I ever had.  These have been better in the snow than the Kumho's.

The seal failed on the inside of the rim (facing the chassis) this time.  Last time it was a back wheel and on the outside of the rim.  They said they inspected the other tires back in November.

Kraft has finally managed to remove the last vestige of anything tasting even remotely like cheese from their Macaroni and Cheese. image.jpeg.b1a8bce990e115be1ca7113d9c0305e0.jpeg

Better to call it Macaroni and Bright Yellow Cardboard Sauce. Never again. Hell...the box probably tastes better.

All week I eat right. Friday night is garbage food night. Pizza, Krystal, Taco Bell, whatever. 

Tonight it's cold, I'm tired, thought it would be fun to have some mac and cheese, watch some old B&W TV, go to bed early.

What is with idiots "improving" things that were just fine?

Same old story everywhere. But how could ANYONE think this crapp tastes GOOD?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

40 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Kraft has finally managed to remove the last vestige of anything tasting even remotely like cheese from their Macaroni and Cheese. image.jpeg.b1a8bce990e115be1ca7113d9c0305e0.jpeg

Better to call it Macaroni and Bright Yellow Cardboard Sauce. Never again. Hell...the box probably tastes better.

All week I eat right. Friday night is garbage food night. Pizza, Krystal, Taco Bell, whatever. 

Tonight it's cold, I'm tired, thought it would be fun to have some mac and cheese, watch some old B&W TV, go to bed early.

Ah man I was raised on that stuff. Add a can of Cambells Cream of Chicken soap and you had a great dinner.

8 hours ago, dieseldawg142 said:

hate to be a spoiler, but Primewells are an asian tire..... they are owned by the Giti tire group out of Singapore. almost all their manufacturing is done in china. they have 8 plants there, and just recently opened one plant in the States. 

it's not surprising the inside of your tire went, Primewell has recalled 400 000 tires for cracking and losing air on the inside of the tire (as you mention)

A company that distributes Primewell brand tires is recalling more than 394,000 of them in the U.S. because the sidewalls can crack and lose air, increasing the risk of a crash.

The recall covers certain Valera Touring II replacement passenger car tires distributed by California-based Giti Tire USA and sold at Firestone stores.

The company says in documents posted Tuesday by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that a crack can develop in the lower sidewall after being in use for several months. GITI says there have been no property damage or injury claims. In most cases the crack happens on the opposite side of the tire from the serial number, which normally is mounted on the inside. That can make the cracks difficult to detect.

Tires sizes that are being recalled include 185/65R14 86H, 195/60R15 88H, 205/55R16 91H, 205/60R16 92V, 215/60R17 96H, and 235/60R17 102T. They were made by a company in Indonesia between April 1, 2015 and Dec. 31, 2016, according to the documents. Sizes can normally be found on a tire's sidewall.

GITI says in the documents that the problem was discovered through "continuous monitoring of market signals." The company says 219 tires have been inspected to date and there have been no reports of air pressure loss.

Owners will be notified and the affected tires will be replaced for free. The recall is expected to start July 20. Owners can call Giti customer service at 866-488-4737.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2017/07/11/primewell-tires-recall-sidewall-crack/469467001/

Nope, you are not a spoiler....I appreciate the information!  I relied on the staff of Firestone who apparently only knew what corporate told them.

Mine are 245/45R 18's...'gatorback' tread pattern.  When the 'yet another snow event' passes, I will have to check the specific model.

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's still spelled "cheese"...should still have at least some cheese in it.  When you see "cheez", "wyngz", or "choclaty chips", then you are definitely getting Soylent Green as opposed to any semblance of the real thing.

When I was in the mood for that stuff, I'd go for the store brand anyway.  The more yellow, the better.  Same goes for cheese twists (or puffs).  I'm behaving lately though (lost ten or twelve pounds recently, fifteen or twenty more to go), job search coming later this year or early next year.  So a lot of that stuff is out the window now (actually, haven't had the cheap mac/cheese in some time anyway...)

For those who share my fondness for Mack & Cheese I have a suggestion. A few years ago a restaurant named Yard House opened in the then new shopping center near our home . They are based out of California and have restaurants in several states. They have a great Sports Bar / Family restaurant atmosphere. Outstanding verity on the menu. My favorite is their Cheese Mack Squared. This dish has Chicken and Garlic added to the Mack and Cheese. It will make your tongue want to slap your brains out, it's that good. As a plus they have a great Wine list and more different Beers on tap than you can imagine.         

On 3/24/2018 at 10:31 AM, Rob Hall said:

I went to the Cleveland Mac & Cheese Festival in February...was fun, a bunch of local restaurants providing samples of their gourmet Mac & Cheese along w/ local craft beer. 

That sounds great. Speaking of "craft" beer...

You just reminded me...there's a tiny local minority-owned company in town here that makes the best "pimento" cheese spread in the known universe. It's expensive, but worth every nickel. It would probably be a very good place to start for a knockout mac and cheese recipe.

1 hour ago, Rob Hall said:

Yard House is very good...I went to the Denver south suburbs area one when I lived there, and the Phoenix and Scottsdale ones when I lived there. Looks like there is one near here, will have to visit...

I've been to the one in Vegas a couple of years ago, and yes the food was good.

Either porch-pirates or incompetent USPS driver. 

Tracking number shows a small package of parts was "left at the front door" at 4:52 PM. 

Odd, as it was a small package that is a size they usually leave in the mailbox.

I arrived home at 5:08 PM. Nothing on the porch or in the box. Nada. Zip. Zero.

Going to the PO in the AM to try to find out WTF happened.

Yeah, it WAS scanned in as "delivered", but that doesn't mean for certain the driver actually put it at the right address. I get other people's stuff occasionally.

Numbers are hard.

Similar thing happened here a few days ago.  Tracking number showed the package was delivered,  I was home all day, it was never delivered.   Turns out it was left at the same house number two streets over, on a street with a very similar name.   I ended up having to go to the house two streets over and get the package (homeowner said they were going to return it to the post office, my mail carrier claimed they had gone there but no one was home).   Turns out it was a temporary mail carrier, back to my regular guy now.   Checking at the post office, they said the temporary mail carrier .."didn't know their saints"...  (the streets in this subdivision are named after Catholic saints).   I also still occasionally get mail for the previous owners--over a year after I bought the house.  

Edited by Rob Hall

I just read about Bill's problems with ebay and shippers. My complaint goes back to December. I bought a new Playstation 4 Pro off Amazon. It's about $100 more than the regular PS4 and it was what I wanted. It came from a 3rd party seller,  but I've never experienced any problems with things that dont come from the Amazon fullfillment center. What arrives is the regular PS4. The short version of the month long nightmare, is that first I was told I'm lying, then I'm told I received exactly what I ordered, then amazon told me the seller had closed his store, then they find the seller and he says he sent the correct item. When he agrees to accept it back, he tries to charge me return shipping. That was going to cost me $50.

I finally got it straightened out after multiple phone calls with Amazon and 3 weeks of irritation. When my credit finally appears, although I got the $50 credit on my return shipping, they've still charged me the 10 bucks it cost to ship it to me in the first place. At that point I gave up. My only real consolation is that the seller now has lost 59 bucks profit on a PS4, and someone out there has a 400 PS$ pro that he got for a great price. 

I really didn't want to quit on the last $10 especially on principal,  but I already had literally over 5 hours into this and it wasn't worth my energy to keep on dealing with it.

Edited by Draggon

Both my eBay and USPS problems are now satisfactorily resolved, the former after several heated exchanges with eBay (who STILL failed to acknowledge the actual problem, but made the refund anyway) and the latter by two very competent and helpful people at the Post Office who tracked down the "sub carrier", who was then able to retrieve the item and deliver it to my mailbox.

All well and good, much appreciated, but it seems I spend a far higher percentage of my time these days compensating for or correcting other people's incompetence than ever before.

7 minutes ago, crazyjim said:

So you got your money back and the package delivered?

Yup.  But it took several hours of MY time, time I could have spent working on my OWN projects and earning income.

Which is where I need to be right now.   :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy