Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Today I was planning on testing my mower and when I went to fire it up it wouldn’t run. I ended up doing some troubleshooting and found that it wasn’t getting any fuel so I thought it was the carburetor since it was giving me problems last year but after some research and it turns out that after I rewired my ignition I cut the fuel shutoff switch so I will have to rewire it to a new switch. 

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

My wife said she wanted to go see a movie today. OK with me I like to go. She got to pick because it was her turn and also because tomorrow is Mothers Day.  Anyway she picked " Break In " I think it was called. It was pretty good but about 2/3 of the way through a lady sitting somewhere behind us felt it was OK to make a phone call. She was talking like you would in a normal voice. My wife asked me to please not say anything. Normally like most of you probably I was about to. Well 3 guys were behind this woman and asked her to get off the phone. No response from the woman. She kept on with her conversation. Finally one of those guys told her to get off the (bad word ) phone. The woman then replied " Make me ( bad word ) . The guy replied he does not hit women. One of his friends left to get a manager. The back and fourth then started to include throwing stuff and more fowl language. My wife was afraid and got up and said she wanted to leave. They were still yelling and throwing stuff as we left as a manger was coming in. We went to the service desk and got a refund . Now I ask you, what the heck is wrong with people ? This woman had to know that it was not OK to make a phone call in the middle of a movie. No regard for all the other people that paid good money to see a movie . Rude, very rude.

No, Ray. I've come to believe there are actually some of the dumbest animals to ever walk the face of the Earth on two feet out there, and that's ESPECIALLY true of those animals with their cell phones. I get my medical care at the VA. Quite some time back I went in for some sort of X-rays and happened to notice a sign on the wall that said, "No Cell Phones Please". I looked at the tech and pointed to the sign and said "You've got to be kidding". The tech quickly explained to me that they have had SEVERAL guys answer their cell phones DURING the actual X-ray process. You know, when the tech says, "OK. Take a deep breath and hold it"? Well apparently these complete morons think it's somehow OK to just go ahead and answer the phone if it happens to ring.

And yes, I would have been one of the guys who would have said something to the woman. Even if my wife protested, the woman would have received a severe tongue lashing. That's just me.

2 hours ago, smhardesty said:

No, Ray. I've come to believe there are actually some of the dumbest animals to ever walk the face of the Earth on two feet out there, and that's ESPECIALLY true of those animals with their cell phones. I get my medical care at the VA. Quite some time back I went in for some sort of X-rays and happened to notice a sign on the wall that said, "No Cell Phones Please". I looked at the tech and pointed to the sign and said "You've got to be kidding". The tech quickly explained to me that they have had SEVERAL guys answer their cell phones DURING the actual X-ray process. You know, when the tech says, "OK. Take a deep breath and hold it"? Well apparently these complete morons think it's somehow OK to just go ahead and answer the phone if it happens to ring.

And yes, I would have been one of the guys who would have said something to the woman. Even if my wife protested, the woman would have received a severe tongue lashing. That's just me.

I'm still "old school" and have a flip phone, but many other people are so in love with their iPhones that they even take it to bed with them, as if the man or women of their dreams will call them one night. Pedestrian deaths are up over 25% and I believe that a lot of them are caused because pedestrians and cyclists are on their phones when it happens. People have NO regards for laws or anyone else these days. Like I've said before that it is an "hurray for me FY" attitude that is very common these days and it will reach epidemic proportions before long.

14 minutes ago, High octane said:

I'm still "old school" and have a flip phone, but many other people are so in love with their iPhones that they even take it to bed with them, as if the man or women of their dreams will call them one night. Pedestrian deaths are up over 25% and I believe that a lot of them are caused because pedestrians and cyclists are on their phones when it happens. People have NO regards for laws or anyone else these days. Like I've said before that it is an "hurray for me FY" attitude that is very common these days and it will reach epidemic proportions before long.

The most common workplace accidents are trips and falls. Back when I owned these incidents, the causes were  broken concrete or pavement, slippery or wet floors and womens shoes.   I recently had to look at the current stats at my company... number one cause now is cell phone distraction!

I run into (or avoid running into) the "cell phone issue" every day at a very large semiconductor company that has explicit policies regarding cell phone use...

Twits doing the following with their cell phone:

stopping on the stairs

walking and staring at their phone

standing in the middle of a major walkway staring/texting their phone

pushing a cart with product on it, looking at their phone

outside, riding a bicycle, looking down at their phone

there are times I feel like not going around them and just letting them run into me or vice versa because I tire of having to go out of my way because of their inconsiderate manners

I have a smart phone that sits on my modeling desk most of the time. The only time I take it with me is if I am going to HL for the discount coupon. Look at it a couple of times a day to check e-mails or if I need to check my bank balance. I may be old school but I don't understand people who can't be away from their phones for five minutes.

I just saw a State Farm auto insurance commercial that irks me. Guys driving and cell phone beeps(which is a guy named havoc). The phone is on the floor under the seats. Driver tries to get phone and takes eyes off road and rear ends. The tag line is if you had cheap insurance you might have to cover the losses. Hey if you're that stupid you should pay those costs. Maybe you wont do it again.

A phone call is not that important!!

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I just saw a State Farm auto insurance commercial that irks me. Guys driving and cell phone beeps(which is a guy named havoc). The phone is on the floor under the seats. Driver tries to get phone and takes eyes off road and rear ends. The tag line is if you had cheap insurance you might have to cover the losses. Hey if you're that stupid you should pay those costs. Maybe you wont do it again.

A phone call is not that important!!

I loved that commercial as since when is your phone more important than what's on the road YOU'RE on at any given time?

I used to be a facility manager and the account (health insurance account ironically) I was on, they stressed was no phone use while driving unless using a hands free device.  They wouldn't pay for one even when pointed out part of my territory included states with laws prohibiting cellphone use without one.  I had one for my personal phone but refused to answer the work cell on the road.

39 minutes ago, High octane said:

I have Bluetooth in my truck and really like the "hands free" calling/answering.

What makes me roll my eyes is when I see a driver of an expensive luxury new car (Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, etc.) driving their car while holding a cell phone by their ear!  Their car is full of electronic gadgets (including BlueTooth), but they are too stupid or lazy to pair their phone with it and use it hands-free. 

Edited by peteski

9 hours ago, peteski said:

What makes me roll my eyes is when I see a driver of an expensive luxury new car (Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, etc.) driving their car while holding a cell phone by their ear!  Their car is full of electronic gadgets (including BlueTooth), but they are too stupid or lazy to pair their phone with it and use it hands-free. 

I'm not really "tech" savvy but my better half is and she had set up my Bluetooth for me.

Talk about not being Tech Savvy, my wife has to rest the clock in my car twice a year when we have the time change. I only have a cell phone so that Telemarketers can reach me about the latest and greatest whatever's they have to offer.   

This sadly happens in all social situations that require manners and it goes beyond cell phones.  Our great niece had a preschool promotion last week, and with a lot of the parents or relatives, they started talking and socializing as soon as their kid's name was announced.  Soon it became almost impossible to hear the teachers announce the names of the other kids.  No one created a scene, but I really felt for the parents or relatives of the kids who were announced later in the ceremony.

It is truly amazing how this level of buffoonery has become normal and largely accepted in our society.

4 hours ago, Jim N said:

...It is truly amazing how this level of buffoonery has become normal and largely accepted in our society.

When parents fail to teach their children manners and consideration for others, those children, as adults, have no knowledge of same to pass on. 

A couple of generations, you have people who act like chimps...or center-of-the-universe two-year-olds.

Took the day off work to go to Wright Patterson AFB museum for the opening ceremony of the unveiling of the 15 plus year restoration of the Memphis Belle.  Gates opened two hours early there was to be a fly in of three B-17, six P-51 Mustangs and three WWII era trainer aircraft.  All were to land and be here until late Friday afternoon (except one of the Mustangs).  A quick shower moved in shortly before the gates opened and delayed the fly in two hours.  More rains pushed it back further and further until eventually 11a BUT, at least according to the staff, the planes were not permitted to land on the military runways due to the wet pavement.  The landings would now only be a fly over and return to the airport where a couple of them are otherwise housed NW of Dayton.  All of the B-17's participated but only five other planes did.  The flyover was three passes (two planes peeled off after the first pass, the other three smaller ones and a B-17 after the second pass) with only the two authentic ones (the third one was from the movie) flying over on the last pass.  The sound of the radial engine was impressive but this was a far from what i was hoping to see.

I can't make the flyout Friday afternoon.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:38 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

When parents fail to teach their children manners and consideration for others, those children, as adults, have no knowledge of same to pass on. 

A couple of generations, you have people who act like chimps...or center-of-the-universe two-year-olds.

You are absolutely correct, Bill.

Was going to replace the brakes on my suburban today, brakepads and rotors....
Only got the pads replaced because some idiots who worked on it before thought it would be a good idea to weld the rotor to the part of the hub where the wheel mounts to..
Since mine is a diesel and 4x4 it has 8 lugs and the rotor sits behind that part and is held in place by the wheelstuds...
The 4 bolts holding the hub in the knuckle was rounded so i have to weld a nut on each to remove them..
But wait there is more...

On the right side they had crossthreaded the caliperbolts so bad that they somehow managed to bend them.
I had to fix that as good as i could just to get the new bolts in but i have to replace the knucke to get one that has good threads in it.
I could drill it out and use helicoil but i dont trust them at all since they never work for me for more then a few months before they break.

Also coppergrease on everything and for caliperbolts that needs to be able to slide that is a bad idea...
Had to clean all that off everything to and then replace the bushings in the calipers to get them to slide as they should again..
And this time use silicone grease as you are supposed to do if you want it to work for more than 2 weeks...

The best part of all this is that the garage who replaced the brakes on it before me wrote it in the servicemanual for it so i atleast know where to never leave any vehicle...
Should be interesting to see what else they have messed up on it next time i have to fix something....

The lesson here is that if you want it done right you have to do it yourself...

Another wash out local car show.People hear about the slightest chance of rain,so the car stays in the garage.But meanwhile it didn't rain at all,and was bright sunny out by late morning....But still,hardly anyone showed.

i ordered a specific and very expensive fishing reel from amazon warehouse deals. which is returns/open box items and damaged box items for a large discount. the cost was about 50% off of bass pro shop's price. 

it arrived and i opened the box only to find a cheap junk reel, with some chinese writing on it. i have to assume it was bought by someone, they returned it with this junk reel in its place to get this expensive reel for free. and the people at amazon dont necessarily have the experience to tell the difference.   it is the first time i have had an issue with the warehouse deals section, but this really burns me up. 

amazon said to return it for a refund, and i ended up just ordering another one, but from regular amazon, not the warehouse deals. it really bothers me that people can be so dishonest. unfortunately, i let it ruin my whole day yesterday because i was really looking forward to trying it. 

i am also the kind of person that worries about everything, and it worries me that amazon will receive it and try to blame me for the switch.  (really i dont think they would but, in the back of my mind i worry. i have been an amazon customer since 2003)

Edited by youpey

Well , not irked  , but sad , sold my baby today . 94 2500 Suburban , 386,00 miles and runs great . Wife and I decided to upgrade to a newer vehicle for better gas mileage , bought an 11 Flex . Wanted a station wagon , but nobody makes new ones any more and this was the closest thing . Happy with it , just went on vacation and it performed well , just sad to see the beast leave . :(

Seriously????  I haven't been to Vegas in ten years (for work) and the last time we were there, they swapped everyone's luggage handle to check for drugs.  As I'm unpacking my suitcase this afternoon I find this!   I'm sure it's related to marijuana being legal in Vegas but cannot be transported out of the state.  Next time, I'm packaging the dirty laundry like a bundle (skidmark side out) like a bundle.

Vegas 2018 TSA.JPG