Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

2 hours ago, JollySipper said:

A welder once told me that the two surfaces being welded together had to be CLEAN clean........ of not only rust, but of oils and grease and stuff.....

Have any pics? Someone here can help........... 

Exactly. What kind of welder are you using? What thickness material?

3 hours ago, JollySipper said:

A welder once told me that the two surfaces being welded together had to be CLEAN clean........ of not only rust, but of oils and grease and stuff.....

Have any pics? Someone here can help........... 

The surface was as clean as I could get it. 

Here is the only pic i have right now. I can get some more later if you guys want.

E230EFF9-40FE-40CE-BFFB-BF4EF67A1220.png

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Exactly. What kind of welder are you using? What thickness material?

I am using a small miller MIG welder. The axle shaft is 3/4” thick. I think the problem was that I didn’t have enough heat so the weld didn’t penetrate properly. 

14 hours ago, High octane said:

Middle lane is okay to "keep on truckin" that way other people use the right lane to get on and off. Never the left lane for RV's though.

The middle lane is not OK to dilly dally around at speed well under the speed limit, this is per the state issued rules of the road had books at your local DMV office. This behavior is what causes so many traffic jams when the number of vehicles on the road increases. Left lane sitters are the only ones that are worse. The right hand lane is for slower moving traffic and you are not supposed to speed up to cut off anyone trying to merge with traffic only to slow down after you beet the guy to the top of the on ramp. The left hand or fast lane is for overtaking or passing slower moving vehicles. The center lane should be maintaining a speed with the flow of traffic without obstructing that flow. This means that you don't speed up to block anyone passing you to prevent them from getting back into the center lane. The basic rule and the LAW is that slower vehicles keep to the right lanes. Kansa does not enforce their own laws of the road and this is what causes so many accidents on the highways. I have traveled in some other states that enforce these rules of the road and traffic moves much smother and outside of a rush hour situation have not had any problems.     

6 minutes ago, 426 pack said:

I am using a small miller MIG welder. The axle shaft is 3/4” thick. I think the problem was that I didn’t have enough heat so the weld didn’t penetrate properly. 

If you're welding a solid shaft, you'll get far better results if you can bevel the ends, and jig the parts up in a lathe or something similar, so you can rotate the shaft slowly as you lay your bead. With a "small" welder, several passes may be necessary, but a Miller is a good machine, and it should be doable.

Flux-core wire is also a waste of time (if you're using it).

Image result for welding a shaft               Image result for welding a shaft

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 minute ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If you're welding a solid shaft, you'll get far better results if you can bevel the ends, and jig the parts up in a lathe or something similar, so you ca rotate the shaft slowly as you lay your bead. With a "small" welder, several passes may be necessary, but a Miller is a good machine, and it should be doable.

Flux-core wire is also a waste of time (if you're using it).

Image result for welding a shaft

I am using flux core wire I would like to use gas as it makes a much better weld but I don’t have any.

the axle shafts had a small bevele in them to begin with but I didn’t have a proper jig to weld it in. 

The pic below is what I’m going to do to it. I will replace the 2 small shafts with 1 long shaft. 

0AB1358A-84B3-4250-9E85-7F4C35495714.png

1 hour ago, espo said:

The middle lane is not OK to dilly dally around at speed well under the speed limit, this is per the state issued rules of the road had books at your local DMV office. This behavior is what causes so many traffic jams when the number of vehicles on the road increases. Left lane sitters are the only ones that are worse. The right hand lane is for slower moving traffic and you are not supposed to speed up to cut off anyone trying to merge with traffic only to slow down after you beet the guy to the top of the on ramp. The left hand or fast lane is for overtaking or passing slower moving vehicles. The center lane should be maintaining a speed with the flow of traffic without obstructing that flow. This means that you don't speed up to block anyone passing you to prevent them from getting back into the center lane. The basic rule and the LAW is that slower vehicles keep to the right lanes. Kansa does not enforce their own laws of the road and this is what causes so many accidents on the highways. I have traveled in some other states that enforce these rules of the road and traffic moves much smother and outside of a rush hour situation have not had any problems.     

I meant that in the middle lane the driver/vehicle should be doin' the limit + 5 mph or so, and not dilly dalling.

19 hours ago, High octane said:

I meant that in the middle lane the driver/vehicle should be doin' the limit + 5 mph or so, and not dilly dalling.

I have to agree with your perception of how people should drive. I wanted to get back on the Forum this morning to apologize to you. I thought about what I had sent to you and was afraid you would take it as a personal attack on my part, and that was not my intent, but after thinking about it I realized that it could easily be taken as something personal when I was really expressing my frustration with how drivers seem to operate a vehicle in this area. From your reply it would seem that you understood that it was nothing to do with you as an individual, only drivers in general. As I think you can see this is something that bothers me a great deal.   Thank you for understanding.

1 hour ago, espo said:

I have to agree with your perception of how people should drive. I wanted to get back on the Forum this morning to apologize to you. I thought about what I had sent to you and was afraid you would take it as a personal attack on my part, and that was not my intent, but after thinking about it I realized that it could easily be taken as something personal when I was really expressing my frustration with how drivers seem to operate a vehicle in this area. From your reply it would seem that you understood that it was nothing to do with you as an individual, only drivers in general. As I think you can see this is something that bothers me a great deal.   Thank you for understanding.

No apology needed David, as everyone has a right to their opinion and I really don't take a whole lot personally these days.  I agree with you that there are a LOT of inconsiderate drivers on the road these days as I've said it before, that many drivers today drive with the "hurray for me FY" attitude and are nowhere near as courteous as drivers were back in the 60's and early 70's.

What irked me today was a call from my bank's Credit Card Fraud Division.  You probably already know where I am going with this.  Some low-life scum sucker got my numbers and placed an internet order with Best Buy for $170.  Luckily the bank held the approval until they contacted me.  Now I am going to be getting a new card, will have to go into every account where I may buy on-line and change my password and credit card numbers.  Why can't these stinking piles of recycled groceries get a job and spend their own money instead of trying to steal mine?  Can you tell I am a bit perturbed? :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, High octane said:

Just find another photo hosting site and be done with it. That's what a lot of us did and it works great.

i did, but i was searching this forum for research of something and found the topic, but it was hosted by photobucket so the pictures didnt show up

Ya know, nothing ever goes smoothly!

I took today off to finish up some NNL details.  I have been working at remote locations lately, which includes dedicating Sundays to travel and returning home late on Fridays.

First thing in the morning?  My wife wakes me up to say there is no hot water. I go to the basement and find the furnace room flooded, a saddle valve someone else installed for a long gone furnace humidifier had sprung a leak right over the water heater.  So there went my morning!  Replaced the valve, vacuumed all the water and am still waiting for water heater to dry out enough to relight the pilot.   

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Ya know, nothing ever goes smoothly!

Yup. The laptop I use for diagnosing and tuning electronic engine management systems dumped its hard drive this afternoon. I had all the work-in-progress backed up, and don't store much of anything in it anyway...and all my tuning software is easily reloaded from removable media...but it's still a maddening thing to have happen to a relatively new machine.

Woke up this morning to no cable TV. Not a big deal in the scheme of things and they are sending a tech out by noon. The rep was very nice and tried her best to help. Worst part is I am missing Leverage, one of my favorite shows. If this is my biggest problem, then my life is going well.

I do database programming as my career and i have been doing it for 20 years. My boss always tries to act like a know it all, especially in front of her boss. In reality, she has never database programmed and has not done any programming in over 20 years, so any knowledge she has is out of date.

today my boss decided that because they wanted something and i told her that it is not possible without doing additional programming. She insisted that i was wrong, because she wanted to look good in front of her boss. finally,  I said to her, if you know of a way to do it without programming, then tell me now how to do it, and i will do it her way. 

i am always reserved and try to keep quiet on things, so she had a completely shocked look on her face that i challenged her knowledge in front of her boss. she stopped there and said we are just going in circles. if this is something needed we can figure out the best way to do it, and if it requires programming, we will do it.

UPDATE: she came to me and tried to play it off like she agreed with me and it was just her boss was not understanding. my guess, she spent the last 1.5 hours trying to find how to do it and came to the conclusion i was right. She loves to rub it in people's faces when she finds something they dont know, so i would bet 1 dollar she tried to find it and could not. 

Edited by youpey

20 minutes ago, youpey said:

I do database programming as my career and i have been doing it for 20 years. My boss always tries to act like a know it all, especially in front of her boss. In reality, she has never database programmed and has not done any programming in over 20 years, so any knowledge she has is out of date.

today my boss decided that because they wanted something and i told her that it is not possible without doing additional programming. She insisted that i was wrong, because she wanted to look good in front of her boss. finally,  I said to her, if you know of a way to do it without programming, then tell me now how to do it, and i will do it her way. 

i am always reserved and try to keep quiet on things, so she had a completely shocked look on her face that i challenged her knowledge in front of her boss. she stopped there and said we are just going in circles. if this is something needed we can figure out the best way to do it, and if it requires programming, we will do it.

UPDATE: she came to me and tried to play it off like she agreed with me and it was just her boss was not understanding. my guess, she spent the last 1.5 hours trying to find how to do it and came to the conclusion i was right. She loves to rub it in people's faces when she finds something they dont know, so i would bet 1 dollar she tried to find it and could not. 

There are a lot of KIA's (know it all)s in this world and we just have to get used to it.

Great weather, and I'd planned to take the day off, open the windows, work on some stuff around the house, relax, and see if I could squeeze in some bench time.

SO...there's some kind of festival going on across the street, with BLARING music in a genre I can't stand.

I don't play my Bach and Metheny and Coltrane and Floyd at ear-shattering levels, so the whole (bad-word) neighborhood has to listen to it...but I'm not afforded the same consideration.

And due to the nature of the happening over there, I'm CERTAIN if I were to go complain, I'd be viewed as a "racist", rather than as someone who's entitled to peace and quiet in his own home.

Local noise ordinances don't come into play until midnight, by the way.

Guess I'll go in to the shop for a while after all.

Boy, will I be glad to get out of this place permanently. 6 more months.

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Great weather, and I'd planned to take the day off, open the windows, work on some stuff around the house, relax, and see if I could squeeze in some bench time.

SO...there's some kind of festival going on across the street, with BLARING music in a genre I can't stand.

I don't play my Bach and Metheny and Coltrane and Floyd at ear-shattering levels, so the whole (bad-word) neighborhood has to listen to it...but I'm not afforded the same consideration.

And due to the nature of the happening over there, I'm CERTAIN if I were to go complain, I'd be viewed as a "racist", rather than as someone who's entitled to peace and quiet in his own home.

Local noise ordinances don't come into play until midnight, by the way.

Guess I'll go in to the shop for a while after all.

Boy, will I be glad to get out of this place permanently. 6 more months.

Arizona ?

8 hours ago, High octane said:

Time for a knee replacement, or no?

All I have been having for the last 6 months is a little knee pain occasionally. This caught me totally off guard!

Like it just would not bend at all without serious pain. Walking to after that. Got better after keeping it elevated for a while and working it on and off..

Almost back to normal tonight but I know it will do it again!

The wife is scheduled to have her other knee done in August. She had her right knee replaced just days before Christmas last year.

After that I will be seeing what the doctor says with mine. Hope he can do some cleanup and buy me some time!