Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I'd like to say that I sympathize with you guys paying three bucks a gallon.....but, I don't. A Citgo station in the Bronx is charging $3.95/gal. for regular. Another one (Shell) in the Bronx is charging $3.35 for regular and $4.19 (cach price. $4.29 on the plastic) for premium.

Platinum catalysts are used to increase octane ratings of gasoline in a process called platforming. Combined with the addition of tetraethyl lead, 100 octane gas can be achieved from low grade 48 octane gas. I'm glad Materials Science was taught when I went to high school. Ya never know when somebody might ask how this is done. As an aside, mix phenol formaldehyde with liquid latex rubber and you end up making a thermosetting plastic, aka Bakelite. :D 

Edited by SfanGoch

14 hours ago, Mark said:

No, the lead was added to increase the octane rating, to allow higher compression ratios.  One article I read awhile back stated that this could have been accomplished by adding alcohol to the gasoline (as is done now).  But the lead was chosen because it could be patented as an additive, while the alcohol blend could not...

But alcohol has less energy than gasoline, so the ethanol blends give you poorer gas mileage than a pure gasoline.  I don't think that the lead additive had the same effect.

Bought the Revell 60s VW kit on the EB

Seller shipped it in a bubble wrap mailer

What appeared a 8.5 out of 10 box condition is now toast

The kit survived intact but,really...............a bubble wrap mailer

OK,

rant over

Model on 

I got a phone call from my younger brother (who is 60) living in New Hampshire.  The tests came back from his prostate biopsy.......... He's got prostate cancer...!!!:(   Now he's got to have more tests to see if it may have spread to anywhere else.  The news really bummed me out.

Prostate cancer is the easiest cancer if found early enough.  Trust me. I'm clean for 13 years now.  Agent Orange was the cause of mine.  If your brother would like to talk with someone who's been through the surgery, I'll pass my cell number to you.

16 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Prostate cancer is the easiest cancer if found early enough.  Trust me. I'm clean for 13 years now.  Agent Orange was the cause of mine.  If your brother would like to talk with someone who's been through the surgery, I'll pass my cell number to you.

Thanks Jim.  I'll let you know after I speak to him again.

18 hours ago, Ramfins59 said:

I got a phone call from my younger brother (who is 60) living in New Hampshire.  The tests came back from his prostate biopsy.......... He's got prostate cancer...!!!:(   Now he's got to have more tests to see if it may have spread to anywhere else.  The news really bummed me out.

I hope they can help your brother, but you may also want to get checked out if you haven't already. Sometimes the propensity for certain types of Cancer run in a family.  

One of my wife's uncles was informed he has a aggressive form of cancer and does not have much time left. His kids are already fighting over the inheritance, and there is a will.  I should be surprised, but for some reason I am not.  However, it does sadden me greatly. 

57 minutes ago, Jim N said:

One of my wife's uncles was informed he has a aggressive form of cancer and does not have much time left. His kids are already fighting over the inheritance, and there is a will.  I should be surprised, but for some reason I am not.  However, it does sadden me greatly. 

If his children had their own families, jobs, life styles, they really don't need to worry about an inheritance or will. That's a good reason to be saddened by their fighting, after all they're family.

Chinee Harbor Freight auto-darkening welding helmet failed in the middle of running a bead, badly "flashing" my eyes. I stupidly thought the cheap piece of excrement could get me through ONE fabrication job.

ANYBODY WHO VALUES YOUR VISION: BUY A REAL HELMET FROM A KNOWN RELIABLE INDUSTRIAL SOURCE.

1 minute ago, JollySipper said:

Bill, is there a way to draw the heat out of your eyes? I've heard a potato cut in half, just tie it to your eyes with a bandana and take a nap...... Does that actually work?

It's not the "heat", but the exposure to high-intensity UV for a few seconds. It's like staring into the sun, but worse. The effects should dissipate in a little while, I hope, but UV exposure is known to cause cataracts, and can actually make dead spots on the retina. This is what it feels like, trying to see normally.

The extent of the damage will depend on how long you stared at the sun and your own eye health. Usually once the cells in the macula are damaged, there isn't much doctors can do in terms of treatment, and you could end up with permanent vision loss. "Sometimes, the vision problems will just resolve on their own â but it can take a long time," Habash says. "Depending on the type of damage and the severity, a doctor may be able to help restore your vision by prescribing anti-inflammatories and steroids to reduce the swelling that causes the temporary vision problems," Schuman says. If the damage is milder and the retina hasn't scarred yet, then he says your doctor might be able to improve or restore your vision faster than it would healing on its own.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Chinee Harbor Freight auto-darkening welding helmet failed in the middle of running a bead, badly "flashing" my eyes. I stupidly thought the cheap piece of excrement could get me through ONE fabrication job.

ANYBODY WHO VALUES YOUR VISION: BUY A REAL HELMET FROM A KNOWN RELIABLE INDUSTRIAL SOURCE.

I know how you feel. One time I was welding with an old non auto darkening helmet and forgot to flip the thing down and did the same thing. Last Christmas my grandpa got me a Lincoln electric auto darkening helmet and it is amazing.

17 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If you haven't already you should get to a good eye doctor. Your next step might be a good product safety attorney. Good luck with your sight.