Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

24 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

All I have been having for the last 6 months is a little knee pain occasionally. This caught me totally off guard!

Like it just would not bend at all without serious pain. Walking to after that. Got better after keeping it elevated for a while and working it on and off..

Almost back to normal tonight but I know it will do it again!

The wife is scheduled to have her other knee done in August. She had her right knee replaced just days before Christmas last year.

After that I will be seeing what the doctor says with mine. Hope he can do some cleanup and buy me some time!

I've had both knees replaced and so I've been there and done that. For you however I would have the doc give you a knee evaluation (X-rays) and if the knees are not bone on bone, perhaps the doc can give you cortisone shots to buy you some time for awhile. That what I did until one knee got so bad it had to be replaced, and the other one was replaced three years later. I have had the operations done in January so I can recover during the winter months and then enjoy the spring and summer with my new knee. I realize that everyone is not the same and neither are their needs or conditions. Go from there, and good luck.

On 4/28/2018 at 11:24 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Great weather, and I'd planned to take the day off, open the windows, work on some stuff around the house, relax, and see if I could squeeze in some bench time.

SO...there's some kind of festival going on across the street, with BLARING music in a genre I can't stand.

I don't play my Bach and Metheny and Coltrane and Floyd at ear-shattering levels, so the whole (bad-word) neighborhood has to listen to it...but I'm not afforded the same consideration.

And due to the nature of the happening over there, I'm CERTAIN if I were to go complain, I'd be viewed as a "racist", rather than as someone who's entitled to peace and quiet in his own home.

Local noise ordinances don't come into play until midnight, by the way.

Guess I'll go in to the shop for a while after all.

Boy, will I be glad to get out of this place permanently. 6 more months.

I wish I was close by Bill. It would be MY pleasure to help. Ya see, I lived in Baltimore for 15 years. I had to deal with that quite a lot. But one sunny day my buddy Dave [Who is from Costa Rica and looks like a big round brown guy with a wide nose. He is also a great guitar player and lifelong Metal head] came up with a great idea. We were at the house rehearsing and arranging some music for his upcoming solo thing. I mentored Dave musically and even played in his band for a while. We were playing small combo amps and recording them into my DAW on the computer. Dave looked over at the two 100 watt 1/2 stacks I had at the house. One Marshall and one Mesa Boogie. He thought, "Hey, what if we bring those down to the porch?". Knowing the loud music would return we dragged both amps down to the porch. Each amp is a 100 watt tube head with a 4X12 cabinet on which it sits. When I say they can get LOUD, I mean they get LOUD. We can drown a full drum kit with one of these things. Two is waaaayy over the top. So we set them up and just hung out. We grabbed my two acoustic guitars and were playing a bunch of classic stuff for quite a while. We drank a few beers and went through a lot a cover songs we knew when at around dusk two cars pulled up across the street about 3 doors up. You could hear them when they made the corner 1/8 a mile away up the street they were pounding so hard. We fired up the 1/2 stacks and just waited. They pulled up got out and just hung there with their buddies with one of the cars just shaking the ground with what must have been the genre you alluded to. I had dropped the tuning on both guitars to B to add extra girth to the demonic riffage we planned. Once the amps got up to temp we flicked em both off standby and played some riffs we knew that were certain to entertain and thrill our lucky audience. You could still hear their BOOM BOOM a little but over the top of that was this HELLISH sound of two 100 watt Metal amps be wielded by two very competent players soloing back and forth over each others scorching and brutish downtuned riffs. That went over like a fart in church and they listened for a about 2 minutes before they packed up and left post haste. Once gone I went around and apologized to several of my neighbor's and dragged the amps back upstairs. Of course they would return at later dates and pound again but at least we got a point across. I don't make you listen to my music, why should you subject me to yours? You don't have the right despite what you think you have a right to do. No lesson was learned on their part but the rest of our night was peaceful.

I was going to post this in the “What pleased you today” section because I just wired up a new ignition system for my mower but when I went to do a test fire the engine wouldn’t run. It is getting spark and the fuel tank is full so I’m not very happy. The first race of the season is in 18 days and my motor won’t run, my transaxle isn’t assembled and I’m building a second mower(the second one won’t make it to the upcoming race).

A55A54EA-A670-458E-B842-FC9F10D489A7.jpeg

Edited by 426 pack

2 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Having to wait almost two hours for the dentist too finally see me today.While I waited in the exam room.As the pretty nurse lies to me,and says,oh the doctor will be right in.No,not 2 hours,That just ain't right.@&%#%...For any of the moderators who might read this,are these random symbols ok to express profanity.Just curious.

Thanks guys

I DON'T wait any more than 1/2 hour past the appointment time as MY time is valuable too. Sure the docs went to med school and I went to trade school so that I could build their offices and exam rooms, hospitals and operating rooms too. If it weren't for tradesmen, the docs would  practice in tents.

13 hours ago, espo said:

You may just need a metal switch plate to replace the plastic one. Or maybe a switch that is compatible with your wiring current.   

The plastic light switch is for my headlights that are wired in to a separate system.

9C05AD41-17EC-454F-AAD5-A2BD8A76FE7C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, High octane said:

I DON'T wait any more than 1/2 hour past the appointment time as MY time is valuable too. Sure the docs went to med school and I went to trade school so that I could build their offices and exam rooms, hospitals and operating rooms too. If it weren't for tradesmen, the docs would  practice in tents.

Exactly.Thanks

On 5/2/2018 at 11:19 AM, Badluck 13 said:

......Hot water tank dumped allllllllllllll over the basement floor at 5:00am ........

I had taken the Thursday before NNL East off from work to get some stuff done since I had been away on business the three previous weeks.  I no sooner get up and am having coffee and my wife said there was no hot water. Then I hear water running.  I went to the basement and was greeted with a nice little flood.  Seems a saddle valve, long abandoned over the water heater, let loose and fortunately just flooded the concrete side of the basement. It took me all morning to fix it.  Half a day of needed prep time gone!  Why do these things always happen in the middle of the night?

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 5/2/2018 at 8:48 PM, High octane said:

I went for an interview, checked in with the security desk, met with the director's admin....and then waited....the person I was to meet with never materialized so after 20 minutes I left.  I understand things come up but either have the decency to reschedule or at least come let me know what's going on.

My wife and I work at the same school, so we comment together in the HOV lane. It drive me nuts to see how many people join us when they are driving by themselves. They are also frequently the tailgaters and texters too. So many SoCal drivers really suck. 

New dwerp in the neighborhood with a 3-cylinder (missing on one) flatulence-can-equipped Civic that he seems Hades-bent on blowing up as he races back and forth in front of my house at redline. Can't drive worth doodly, misses shifts entirely, has no idea where to downshift going into a turn or upshift coming out, alternates between bouncing off the rev limiter and lugging the poor little engine...on his 15 daily trips to the corner Quickie Mart.

I can tolerate (even enjoy) the sound of a competent driver hammering a well set-up little car, but this guy's a moron. M O R O N.

Lord, give me strength.

Today I was at an archery shoot and I dry fired my bow (shooting the bow without an arrow) and I blew the strings off of it. I did get it back together but it was close to a $600 mistake if the limds would have cracked.

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

New dwerp in the neighborhood with a 3-cylinder (missing on one) flatulence-can-equipped Civic that he seems Hades-bent on blowing up as he races back and forth in front of my house at redline. Can't drive worth doodly, misses shifts entirely, has no idea where to downshift going into a turn or upshift coming out, alternates between bouncing off the rev limiter and lugging the poor little engine...on his 15 daily trips to the corner Quickie Mart.

I can tolerate (even enjoy) the sound of a competent driver hammering a well set-up little car, but this guy's a moron. M O R O N.

Lord, give me strength.

Besides his bad driving ability and deficient equipment issues, Just why would he be going to the Quickie Mart so many times a day ? Sounds as if the background story on your new neighbor might be a little more questionable then his ability to operate a motor vehicle.    

Today I had a lot of things that irked me 

1: I biult a new shifter for my mower and when I went to look for the handle I wanted to use I couldn’t find it (hurst T handle that my Dad gave me) 

2: I was trying to do some wiring on my mower (put in a toggle kill switch and a tachometer) but I couldn’t get them to work. 

3: I went to Canadian tire to buy paint for a model car, a new shifter handle and amp meter for my mower and the had none of it.    

Cale, did you ever get your mower started? I know on these small engines, they can be getting fire but it not be enough to run...... You may need to sand the rust off of the magneto and make sure your coil is close enough to it. If it runs then, then you can just wire the tach in with the coil and it will work............

5 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Cale, did you ever get your mower started? I know on these small engines, they can be getting fire but it not be enough to run...... You may need to sand the rust off of the magneto and make sure your coil is close enough to it. If it runs then, then you can just wire the tach in with the coil and it will work............

I did get it started. The problem was that it wasn’t getting any fuel. 

I had tried to wire it to the coil but I couldn’t get it to work. I will try again today. I also HATE wiring.

Edited by 426 pack

My wife said she wanted to go see a movie today. OK with me I like to go. She got to pick because it was her turn and also because tomorrow is Mothers Day.  Anyway she picked " Break In " I think it was called. It was pretty good but about 2/3 of the way through a lady sitting somewhere behind us felt it was OK to make a phone call. She was talking like you would in a normal voice. My wife asked me to please not say anything. Normally like most of you probably I was about to. Well 3 guys were behind this woman and asked her to get off the phone. No response from the woman. She kept on with her conversation. Finally one of those guys told her to get off the (bad word ) phone. The woman then replied " Make me ( bad word ) . The guy replied he does not hit women. One of his friends left to get a manager. The back and fourth then started to include throwing stuff and more fowl language. My wife was afraid and got up and said she wanted to leave. They were still yelling and throwing stuff as we left as a manger was coming in. We went to the service desk and got a refund . Now I ask you, what the heck is wrong with people ? This woman had to know that it was not OK to make a phone call in the middle of a movie. No regard for all the other people that paid good money to see a movie . Rude, very rude.

36 minutes ago, cobraman said:

My wife said she wanted to go see a movie today. OK with me I like to go. She got to pick because it was her turn and also because tomorrow is Mothers Day.  Anyway she picked " Break In " I think it was called. It was pretty good but about 2/3 of the way through a lady sitting somewhere behind us felt it was OK to make a phone call. She was talking like you would in a normal voice. My wife asked me to please not say anything. Normally like most of you probably I was about to. Well 3 guys were behind this woman and asked her to get off the phone. No response from the woman. She kept on with her conversation. Finally one of those guys told her to get off the (bad word ) phone. The woman then replied " Make me ( bad word ) . The guy replied he does not hit women. One of his friends left to get a manager. The back and fourth then started to include throwing stuff and more fowl language. My wife was afraid and got up and said she wanted to leave. They were still yelling and throwing stuff as we left as a manger was coming in. We went to the service desk and got a refund . Now I ask you, what the heck is wrong with people ? This woman had to know that it was not OK to make a phone call in the middle of a movie. No regard for all the other people that paid good money to see a movie . Rude, very rude.

Some people are just so "Self Centered" they don't even think about their actions and how they effect everyone else around them. They are SPECIAL and the rest of use just need to get over it.

Cell phone users are so bad that a lot of churchs use cell phone jammers. Just go anywhere and majority of the people are using their phones or texting.

Besides that most people are oblivious to those around them. They think of stopping to talk to others regardless of  where they are and act inconvenienced when you dare to say something.