Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm a little beyond "irked". Somebody is killing my cats. I found one by the side of the house obviously shot in the throat. Small entrance wound, exit wound tore half its jaw out. Cat was trying to get home and bled out. Now two more are MIA.

Killing pets is aggravated cruelty to animals here, a felony.

I hope that moron spends a lot of time in a jail where they have aggravated cruelty to inmates.

4 hours ago, espo said:

This is the same way I feel. I guess it's like the five second rule if you drop a cookie on the floor. The Morning Doves and the Squirrels can fight it out for what lands on the ground. I have tried several different "Squirrel Proof" feeders and even installed the umbrella type covers to keep the Squirrels out of the feeders. They always find a way to defeat what ever I do. I have seen them hang from their hind legs to get to the feeder and even jump from near by trees to land on the feeders. These critters are nothing if not athletic.    I can hear them on the roof sometimes and that worries me but as long as they aren't trying to get in and don't chew up the house I guess it's alright. 

We bought our grandson's squirrel proof feeder at Walmart and it has a domed top. A number of squirrels have tried but none have succeeded and have to rely on the seeds that fell to the ground. 

We got a Sling Shot thingy a couple of tears ago and would put a dries corn cob in it. The Squirrel would jump from a branch too the corn cob and the elastic would stretch and then launch the Squirrel into the air. It was great fun until the Squirrel got tired off it and stopped jumping on the corn cob. 

About a month ago I broke one of my hearing aids.  Don't really need them that badly, but they are handy for watching TV.  I used the box the VA sent them in 5 years ago, with the attached, preprinted return label.  Waited about three weeks, called the VA in Salisbury, NC asking about them.  Was told they were supposed to be sent to a facility in Denver and they were not at the Salisbury clinic.  A couple days later the Tech called and told me they had been found in the mail room, he would repair them for me and return them.  Today I received my left hearing aid, the right one was not in the package.  When I called the VA I got a huge run-around (can you believe that :wacko:) and was told there was no way the hearing aids could have been sent to Salisbury, that the Tech would not have fixed them, and there was no way my other one was there.  Final recommendation was to call the VA in Kernersville, NC (closest unit) and reschedule for another hearing teat and set of aids.  Called K-Ville and was told the earliest appointment was August 20.  However the person kept looking and found a cancellation at 1:30 today, it was 12:30 when I was talking to her and I live 45 miles away.  I made the appointment and will be getting a new set of hearing aids July 3rd.  Nothing but kudos for the lady in the K-Ville facility, and plenty of blah blah blah's for the arrogant response from Salisbury.

2 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

I hope that moron spends a lot of time in a jail where they have aggravated cruelty to inmates.

The trick will be finding whoever it is, and proving it. But one cat dead in the yard, obviously shot, and two more that haven't come back, all within 48 hours...it's too much to be coincidence.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

About a month ago I broke one of my hearing aids.  Don't really need them that badly, but they are handy for watching TV.  I used the box the VA sent them in 5 years ago, with the attached, preprinted return label.  Waited about three weeks, called the VA in Salisbury, NC asking about them.  Was told they were supposed to be sent to a facility in Denver and they were not at the Salisbury clinic.  A couple days later the Tech called and told me they had been found in the mail room, he would repair them for me and return them.  Today I received my left hearing aid, the right one was not in the package.  When I called the VA I got a huge run-around (can you believe that :wacko:) and was told there was no way the hearing aids could have been sent to Salisbury, that the Tech would not have fixed them, and there was no way my other one was there.  Final recommendation was to call the VA in Kernersville, NC (closest unit) and reschedule for another hearing teat and set of aids.  Called K-Ville and was told the earliest appointment was August 20.  However the person kept looking and found a cancellation at 1:30 today, it was 12:30 when I was talking to her and I live 45 miles away.  I made the appointment and will be getting a new set of hearing aids July 3rd.  Nothing but kudos for the lady in the K-Ville facility, and plenty of blah blah blah's for the arrogant response from Salisbury.

If the VA can't give you an appointment within 30 days you can ask for the Choice program.  The program allows you to go to a closer place and the VA expense.  I've used it and it works.

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm a little beyond "irked". Somebody is killing my cats. I found one by the side of the house obviously shot in the throat. Small entrance wound, exit wound tore half its jaw out. Cat was trying to get home and bled out. Now two more are MIA.

Killing pets is aggravated cruelty to animals here, a felony.

I know how you feel. The guy next to my neighbor poisoned mine and shot there's .....

What irked me today was yesterday. A woman said she wanted to purchase a framed picture I had on Facebook Marketplace. We agreed on a price. Then she noted the distance and asked if I could meet her half way. I living in Fonda NY And her down Binghamton way. I said sure and we agreed at a McDonalds in Cobleskill, NY at 1pm today. The red flag should have been I gave her my cell phone in case anything happened but she didn't offer hers. OK. Maybe a single woman being careful. Or an older woman according to her facebook photo. I got to McDonalds at 12:40 and left at 1:27. No show and no call. So when I get home I go to the messages between her and I And sent Scumbag to her. She immediately erased the messages and then my phone cell phone rang. I ignored it. She is blocked on facebook so she can not see me or anything I put on Market place. And I'm looking for a "blocker" to put on my cell phone that doesn't want access to everything on it. Like why would a blocking app want access to my phone book and my photos, along with my buying habits. Not that it makes much difference as I buy nothing with my cell. Any suggestion?They are everywhere. 

17 hours ago, ewetwo said:

What irked me today was yesterday. A woman said she wanted to purchase a framed picture I had on Facebook Marketplace. We agreed on a price. Then she noted the distance and asked if I could meet her half way. I living in Fonda NY And her down Binghamton way. I said sure and we agreed at a McDonalds in Cobleskill, NY at 1pm today. The red flag should have been I gave her my cell phone in case anything happened but she didn't offer hers. OK. Maybe a single woman being careful. Or an older woman according to her facebook photo. I got to McDonalds at 12:40 and left at 1:27. No show and no call. So when I get home I go to the messages between her and I And sent Scumbag to her. She immediately erased the messages and then my phone cell phone rang. I ignored it. She is blocked on facebook so she can not see me or anything I put on Market place. And I'm looking for a "blocker" to put on my cell phone that doesn't want access to everything on it. Like why would a blocking app want access to my phone book and my photos, along with my buying habits. Not that it makes much difference as I buy nothing with my cell. Any suggestion?They are everywhere. 

Next time take the higher road and just let it go.

Fretting over something like that doesn't do you any good and slapping back just demeans yourself as the other person most likely just don't really care!

25 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Next time take the higher road and just let it go.

Fretting over something like that doesn't do you any good and slapping back just demeans yourself as the other person most likely just don't really care!

You are right. She did try contacting me later but I just ignored her messages.

13 hours ago, ewetwo said:

You are right. She did try contacting me later but I just ignored her messages.

One of my son's sold a car and drove 250 miles to a halfway point to meet the buyer only to wait until the next day (stayed over night) while trying to get the guy to answer his phone or call him back.

He drove back home around 10am. The guy finally clls him the next day and just says "something came up" and that was it. The kid asked if he wanted to meet again and the guy say "Naw, just send my deposit back if you would"!!! Well the kid was a little nicer than I would have been and told him he would send half of the 500 dollar deposit they guy had paid. The guy got ticked but that is what the kid sent him as he figured the other 250 covered his gas, time and motel!

11 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

One of my son's sold a car and drove 250 miles to a halfway point to meet the buyer only to wait until the next day (stayed over night) while trying to get the guy to answer his phone or call him back.

He drove back home around 10am. The guy finally clls him the next day and just says "something came up" and that was it. The kid asked if he wanted to meet again and the guy say "Naw, just send my deposit back if you would"!!! Well the kid was a little nicer than I would have been and told him he would send half of the 500 dollar deposit they guy had paid. The guy got ticked but that is what the kid sent him as he figured the other 250 covered his gas, time and motel!

I always thought a deposit would be non-refundable. If not then the deposit is of no value and may keep you from a chance of selling the car to someone else. We had something like this happen several years ago. We were selling my wife's car since we got her a new Jeep. This young man gave her a couple hundred dollars to hold the car until his father could get a loan for him. The dad called back and wanted to renegotiate the selling price. I'm out in the driveway giving the car a good detailing and making sure it is all serviced and ready. A couple drives up and wanted to pay us full price for the car but the wife was feeling sorry for the young man and we ended up selling it to the first guy for less and waiting a couple of weeks before he could get his money. With the dad trying to get us to lower the price I told my wife to just tell him we would return his deposit since we could sell it then and there at full price in cash. 

Well this happened yesterday.I went food shopping.I don’t know about the rest of the country, but here on good ole? NY, we have to pay 5 cents for every plastic bag we use from the store.Ok first,where does that money go to?No one seems to have an answer.Oh it’s to raise money to clean up the environment.Yea ok, and I have a bridge to sell.IMO,some people are definitely keeping that money to line their pockets.And the second thing is ever since they decided to charge for bags, the quality of them are getting worse and worse.Yesterday,I’m walking to my car, and two of the bags just ripped and fell apart, and there was hardly anything in them.So yea, here in NY, we have pay for our garbage.??.And now some stores, especially auto parts stores, don’t even carry bags anymore.

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Well this happened yesterday.I went food shopping.I don’t know about the rest of the country, but here on good ole? NY, we have to pay 5 cents for every plastic bag we use from the store.Ok first,where does that money go to?No one seems to have an answer.Oh it’s to raise money to clean up the environment.Yea ok, and I have a bridge to sell.IMO,some people are definitely keeping that money to line their pockets.And the second thing is ever since they decided to charge for bags, the quality of them are getting worse and worse.Yesterday,I’m walking to my car, and two of the bags just ripped and fell apart, and there was hardly anything in them.So yea, here in NY, we have pay for our garbage.??.And now some stores, especially auto parts stores, don’t even carry bags anymore.

Sounds like it's time to get a canvas bag or two from L.L. Bean to carry your goods in from now on?

2 hours ago, High octane said:

Sounds like it's time to get a canvas bag or two from L.L. Bean to carry your goods in from now on?

Well I’m really not into wearing a pocket book.Thank you anyway.And,yes I’am joking,.Sounds like an idea.

Thanks

10 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I must bring home a dozen every week from Walmart. Let me know if you need any. I'll bet I could pack 50 in a small box. B)

4 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Well I’m really not into wearing a pocket book.Thank you anyway.And,yes I’am joking,.Sounds like an idea.

Thanks

When I was ordering the wife's Campbell Soup calendar this year I saw they had the bags listed and ordered her two sets. (total 6 bags) Now we don't have all those pesky plastic bags that hold little to nothing to deal with.

Most stores have them foe a buck or two usually with their logo on them.

The only issue is Kroger bags for you and the baggers will try and put all the can good into one so you have to tell them that you aren't a weight lifter so they load them lighter!:lol:.

55 minutes ago, oldnslow said:

I bought these , 2 green uninsulated and 1 blue insulated , don't use plastic bags any more .

2013-9.jpg

I have some similar bags like that from my local grocery chain,  my county is banning plastic grocery bags, so I'll be using them more.   

We stopped using the plastic bags from the market or anywhere else a few years ago. The main reason was as mentioned they will crash and burn if more than two items are placed in them and the first corner on the way home the contents scatters all over the inside of the trunk. But a couple of years ago I was reading some issues of National Geographic and they were covering the floating islands of trash in the oceans made up mostly of plastic waste. The local markets started selling the canvas bags cheep and we bought some. They were also offering .05 off your bill for every canvas bag you used. As an aside, I remember when I was very young I would be embarrassed going shopping with my grandmother because she always used canvas bags at the market. This was when everything was put in brown paper bags. You must remember she was a young women during the depression and knew hardships we can only imagine. As it turns out granny was ahead of the times when it came to shopping.    

National Geographic says there's floating islands of plastic waste? That has nothing to do with plastic, and EVERYTHING to do with humans who don't know how to dispose of plastic waste or are just too LAZY. Otherwise known as SLOBS. Lets not cover up the truth like what they're doing on the news channels on TV.

It's not just plastic. In part of the city where I'm working I've seen drivers that throw anything and everything out their car windows from fast food containers to full garbage bags. This spring after the snow melt with all this trash now blowing around, the local news does a story on how terrible the neighborhoods look and interview a local complaining that "somebody" needs to do something about this. (IE; pick up their waste) Yeah right, people aren't driving through just to litter your corner of the world.

Edited by Phirewriter