Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

So I ordered one of these on Ebay on the 16th. It was suppose to be here on the 24th. Nothing. I should have reviewed the ratings before I bought it. I'm so sick of scammers. I was going to start selling kits I have no interest in building on Ebay. But now I'm having my doubts in doing so. 

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by ewetwo

I've been thinking about getting one of the billings boats wood viking boat kits. This time last year when I was looking they were around 80 quid. I decided it was worth it and went to pull the trigger only to find they have jumped in price to more than double. I think I'll try again near the end of january in the hope someone got one for christmas and has given up on it

My "irk" moment was yesterday. All my own fault..and I own it cause it will happen again I'm sure. After spending an hour searching for, modifying and detail painting the perfect part I add the super glue ,grab it with my tweezers and "ping....it falls straight down into my 2' tall waste paper basket under my work bench! Arg!!! I did eventually did retrieve it after carefully dumping everything out onto a table and carefully sorting through all that "stuff". There was a time when I would have issued forth various naughty words, but I knew that was not going to solve my basic problem with having too many thumbs so I just moving along and did what was necessary to find a place the part where it needed to be in the first place.

39 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

...There was a time when I would have issued forth various naughty words, but I knew that was not going to solve my basic problem...

I have yet to achieve that admirable state of maturity. 

In fact, I often find that a string of imaginative and highly descriptive profanity actually seems to intimidate whatever inanimate object that's aroused my ire into cooperating.

;)

I called AT&T because our Home Base is acting up. I called the wireless number. She transferred me to someone I could hardly understand but did get another number to call. I called that number and they gave me a number to call because my account is wireless. Not hard wired and they can't access wireless accounts. The number that person gave me. The first one I called. What a bad company. This happens every time I call AT&T. Seems like there isn't anyone in this company that knows their jobs.

43 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I called AT&T because our Home Base is acting up. I called the wireless number. She transferred me to someone I could hardly understand but did get another number to call. I called that number and they gave me a number to call because my account is wireless. Not hard wired and they can't access wireless accounts. The number that person gave me. The first one I called. What a bad company. This happens every time I call AT&T. Seems like there isn't anyone in this company that knows their jobs.

Oh, they know their jobs, alright. Their jobs are to shuffle you around until you give up, quit complaining, and just wait for the problem to resolve itself.

It's hi-tech industry brilliance!

??

Edited by Danno

42 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Pretty much the same runaround I've been getting from Comcast about frequent outages over the past few months.

They discourage calls as well, carefully hiding the contact number. So while you're online with Rasheed in Calcutta, the dammed net goes down, and you have to start the whole process over again.

My landline also comes in via the same coax as the net, and it fails at the same time as my web connection...naturally.

So...I've now run out of cell battery twice while trying to get through to Rasheed and his buds in India too.

Everything really is going to hell.

When I was still working on Acura's at the dealer, I found that having learned a couple of Potent Japanese Curse words, really helped when it came time to cuss out the cars. 

:)

I don't need those kind of words anymore. I've stopped doing things that prompt me to use them....

1 hour ago, Danno said:

Oh, they know their jobs, alright. Their jobs are to shuffle you around until you give up, quit complaining, and just wait for the problem to resolve itself.

It's hi-tech industry brilliance!

An AT&T rep told me 10-15 years ago that I should ask the first Human I contacted to connect me with a "cowboy". I am sure that I gave him a funny look ( this was in an aisle at Best Buy as I was buying a replacement modem) as I asked him, "Is that so they won't connect me with an Indian?" He just smiled......

That seemed to be their "code" for insiders to get to second level support, bypassing the script readers.

4 hours ago, misterNNL said:

My "irk" moment was yesterday. All my own fault..and I own it cause it will happen again I'm sure. After spending an hour searching for, modifying and detail painting the perfect part I add the super glue ,grab it with my tweezers and "ping....it falls straight down into my 2' tall waste paper basket under my work bench! Arg!!! I did eventually did retrieve it after carefully dumping everything out onto a table and carefully sorting through all that "stuff". 

Been there, done that!   Which is why my waste basket (it's actually an old beer case) sits behind my chair next to the spray booth.

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I did the dance with Verizon a few years ago.  Finally got to English speaking person who gave me the third degree....  Did I reboot the computer?  Can I unplug and plug in the router?  And of course told me the problem was no doubt mine, and when they sent a tech to my house there would be a big house call fee unless it was their issue.

Well, one guy shows up and he sees the problem but can't figure out why. Second van pulls up, now I have two guys in my den.  They did like my model display case though! They replace the router (which is theirs) and they get tech number three on a phone call.  They couldn't understand what was up since there were no other complaints from where I was wired into.   Then tech on the phone discovers I'm the only connection on the blade back at headquarters... and the blade went bad!   He switches me to another one and everything works once again.... no service fee and they let me keep the new router.

Seems like we're all in the same boat. Monthly cost goes up but the service gets worse and worse. I finally did get a really nice woman who was very helpful. Seems my Home Base router might need to be replaced. It's the older model. $200 to upgrade and it might be wise seeing they are going 5G now. She's suppose to call tonight to make sure everything is all right. It's funny when you tell them you have been a Direct TV customer since the 80's when you went to Walmart. Bought and installed the equipment yourself. They are all too young to even know that. I will say. They made me upgrade my TV receiver a couple of years ago because mine was too old. The new system is horrible. 

The problem is the mantra today is how cheaply goods and services be provided. That new design of equipment should be better but it was done as cheaply as possible. Whether it works right is secondary. 

The worst thing is the constant push to either take people out of the system or put someone in a chair that can only read a script. 

I do not see things getting better I can only see them getting worse.

The thing is cheap isn't always the most cost effective way to do things.  Case in point. Henry Ford was paying his workers as little as possible however he discovered that the employee turnover was costing more than being saved by cheap wages because new employees had to be trained. Paying the workers more resulted in a savings. Unfortunately those who run the companies aren't smart enough to figure that out.

16 hours ago, El Roberto said:

A model building gripe......I just want to scream when someone builds an ok diorama and the figures are painted with gloss paint.  How many pairs of super shiny Levis have you seen?  

My own peeve is when people use doll house accessories..  1/12 scale things on a 1/24 or 1/25 scale diorama. I remember one where a man was as reading a HUGE newspaper!

Leaf Blowers ! 

The most worthless , counter-productive piece of "Blah-Blah-Blah" machinery EVER produced ! 

Granted , those of you whom reside in locales and regions where yards are big and fallen leaves are aplenty , the stupid things serve a purpose... However , out here in 'Apartment Land' , those pieces of "Blah..." do nothing but make obnoxious noises , kick-up dirt and sand and pollen , and destroy topsoil --- and frighten the (poorly-maintained) shrubs and plants ! 

Broken sprinklers ? Nah , we'll run two or three leaf blowers instead . 

No smoking on the premises ? No problem  ; leaf blowers will blow allergy-catalysing pollen and dirt around for your pleasure . 

I seriously want to sabotage those "Landscapers" ( HA ! ) leaf blowers by putting diesel fuel in their blowers' fuel cells ! 

I was diagnosed with it about a year ago, I didn't know why my hand would feel swollen and tingly and oh the pain when waking up in the mornings.  So far the pain part (after wearing a brace for about 5 or 6 months has subsided but I still have the swollen tight feeling. I've heard the surgery and rehab is rough so pray I won't need it.

Good luck Ron on your recovery period.

On 12/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, bobthehobbyguy said:

The problem is the mantra today is how cheaply goods and services be provided. That new design of equipment should be better but it was done as cheaply as possible. Whether it works right is secondary. 

The worst thing is the constant push to either take people out of the system or put someone in a chair that can only read a script. 

I do not see things getting better I can only see them getting worse.

Bob a good friend of mine worked for Apple for a couple of years. Yes they do give you a script to read. Directions on what you tell people and only pass things along that need it. 

On 12/2/2020 at 1:12 PM, 1972coronet said:

Leaf Blowers ! 

The most worthless , counter-productive piece of "Blah-Blah-Blah" machinery EVER produced ! 

Granted , those of you whom reside in locales and regions where yards are big and fallen leaves are aplenty , the stupid things serve a purpose... However , out here in 'Apartment Land' , those pieces of "Blah..." do nothing but make obnoxious noises , kick-up dirt and sand and pollen , and destroy topsoil --- and frighten the (poorly-maintained) shrubs and plants ! 

Broken sprinklers ? Nah , we'll run two or three leaf blowers instead . 

No smoking on the premises ? No problem  ; leaf blowers will blow allergy-catalysing pollen and dirt around for your pleasure . 

I seriously want to sabotage those "Landscapers" ( HA ! ) leaf blowers by putting diesel fuel in their blowers' fuel cells ! 

I absolutely agree with you and your observations.Leaf blowers,while they do a job of gathering leaves,they really suck.And besides them being so loud,in my neighborhood,some crews start at 7:30 AM.??????

Failure of the neighbors to observe the Cocktail Hour. Why on a Friday evening does anyone need to mow their lawns after 5 PM ?  All you want to do is sit on the rear deck, enjoy a glass of what ever with who ever and relax a little.  At least with the coming of shorter and cooler days this isn't the problem it was just a little over a month ago, but there are still people out there burning gas and oil mixed at 40 to 1 only now they're blowing their dead leaves into each others yards. 

The Neon just stripped the timing belt belt at 145,000 miles.  

The "mechanic" I bought the car from swore he did the requisite timing belt change at 100,000.

So either the clown flat out lied, or he buggered the install...very common when chimps with tools try to shortcut the job and force the belt over the sprockets with a prybar.

Little car treated me well though, and died in the driveway before I got out on the road.

Just bought a good used head and 16 new valves, will build it on the bench, then do the swap over Christmas week.