Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

1 hour ago, espo said:

First let me say I'm a Coffee Snob and I make no excuse for it. I order my beans from Peet's in San Francisco and have for years. Best coffee if this is something that matters to you. My problem has to do with the shipping of supplies. They use UPS and this is were the problem is. I was expecting an order and it was due during a two day window including Friday or Saturday and they're very good about getting them to me on time. My wife is having to work from home and her office is by the front door with a view of the street. She mentioned to me Friday  that a UPS truck had been driving up and down our street. This is not uncommon especially since now everyone is ordering everything on line. She mentioned that the driver went by the house at least 6 or 7 times but she never sees them stop. Saturday evening a neighbor two doors down who is in ill heath come to our door. I was afraid he may be in trouble, but no he's at my door after dark and it's below freezing out side and he's bring a package that was left on his front porch sometime Friday. Now our street number is plainly seen carved in stone over the front door and in reflective numbers on our mail box at the end of the driveway. Just don't understand how this driver couldn't see the mail box let alone leave the package on someone else's porch with the same type of number display that plainly was a different number. The good news is I enjoy a great group of neighbors and this poor older gentleman braved inclement weather to bring me my coffee. I really felt bad that he had to do that but this speaks of the person he is. Now if we could just get the UPS drivers to slow down and read the numbers on the mail boxes this will be a better place.  

Order your neighbor some coffee for Christmas!

Which flavor(s) do you drink?

1 hour ago, Rodent said:

Order your neighbor some coffee for Christmas!

Which flavor(s) do you drink?

My order was for 1Lb. French Roast, 1Lb. Italian Roast, 1lb. Major Dickenson, and 1 lb. Peru Cajamarca Organic.  I prefer dark roasted coffees. The first three are kind of a standard order for me and the fourth one I try something new or what ever special coffee they are offering at that time. I'll order whole bean coffee and grind the beans for a day or two at a time so they stay fresher. 

18 minutes ago, espo said:

My order was for 1Lb. French Roast, 1Lb. Italian Roast, 1lb. Major Dickenson, and 1 lb. Peru Cajamarca Organic.  I prefer dark roasted coffees. The first three are kind of a standard order for me and the fourth one I try something new or what ever special coffee they are offering at that time. I'll order whole bean coffee and grind the beans for a day or two at a time so they stay fresher. 

Most of the grocery stores and Target around here carry the French, Italian, and the Maj. Dickason for ~$7/lb. I have never seen the Peru. See what you miss when you move away from Sacramento? ?

Just now, Rodent said:

Most of the grocery stores and Target around here carry the French, Italian, and the Maj. Dickason for ~$7/lb. I have never seen the Peru. See what you miss when you move away from Sacramento? ?

I have been getting my coffee from Peet's for just over ten years. Prior to that I would order my beans from Java City in Sacramento after we moved here. One thing I like about ordering them direct is that they are roasted within a day or two before being shipped. I have picked up a bag of French Roast locally at the store when I've run out but the roast dates are two and three months prior and they aren't  1 lb. bags either. I do miss going to Laughs Unlimited in Old Sac and the morning Croissant and coffee on the way to work in the morning.  

2 hours ago, espo said:

I have been getting my coffee from Peet's for just over ten years. Prior to that I would order my beans from Java City in Sacramento after we moved here. One thing I like about ordering them direct is that they are roasted within a day or two before being shipped. I have picked up a bag of French Roast locally at the store when I've run out but the roast dates are two and three months prior and they aren't  1 lb. bags either. I do miss going to Laughs Unlimited in Old Sac and the morning Croissant and coffee on the way to work in the morning.  

Instead of hoping that the UPS driver will smarten up, give your ill-health neighbor your phone number, so if the package is misdelivered again, he can just call you , and you can walk over and pick it up.  You mentioned that you live in a friendly neighborhood - the neighbors should have already shared their phone numbers.,

I enjoy dark roast also; just as I like my dark beer. Mostly drink Seattle's Best and have never tried Peet's because it seems to be the most expensive at the store but maybe it's worth it?

Odd story about UPS with all the electronic gizmos to direct you to the exact destination I don't know how there would be a problem.

3 hours ago, TonyK said:

... with all the electronic gizmos to direct you to the exact destination I don't know how there would be a problem.

Well see, if you were snoozing or texting through the class called "numbers 101", it's kinda hard to actually get the right mailbox matched with the right package...even if the talking GPS says "you have arrived".

Also, there's a possible comprehension problem concerning the words "you have arrived". Word meanings these days are entirely subjective, and don't necessarily mean the same to all people...depending of course on their particular "experience" and world-view.

Then you combine words into phrases, and the comprehension thing becomes almost impossible for a large segment of society today. Add in numbers to this oh-so-confusing mix, and it's frankly a marvel that anything gets delivered at all.

Of course it couldn't be a possibility that the driver was on the end of a long day and OMG made a mistake. Or given that they are pushed to get it done at an unreasonable time table. Or then again the driver wasn't paying attention.  However I try to avoid jumping to conclusions when I don't know all the facts. And yes there is incompetence in the world but that doesn't mean that the reason for all mistakes.

20 hours ago, peteski said:

Instead of hoping that the UPS driver will smarten up, give your ill-health neighbor your phone number, so if the package is misdelivered again, he can just call you , and you can walk over and pick it up.  You mentioned that you live in a friendly neighborhood - the neighbors should have already shared their phone numbers.,

While I agree with your thought, Ross, my neighbor, has a list provided by our Home Owners Assoc. that list every ones contact information including both my cell phone and even my wife's cell phone. He may of just wanted to stop by for a chat for a bit also. 

7 hours ago, TonyK said:

I enjoy dark roast also; just as I like my dark beer. Mostly drink Seattle's Best and have never tried Peet's because it seems to be the most expensive at the store but maybe it's worth it?

Odd story about UPS with all the electronic gizmos to direct you to the exact destination I don't know how there would be a problem.

We have visited the Seattle area and I have enjoyed Seattle's Best at some of the many little coffee stands that are every where you go. I agree with you that it's also great coffee. My perception is that the average person living in Oregon and Washington have to be the most caffeinated group you will meet. I remember driving thru the Olympic Peninsula and no where  near any type of town and there right beside the road was a little Barista stand. Besides being beautiful country side you can get a good cup of coffee anywhere. 

3 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Of course it couldn't be a possibility that the driver was on the end of a long day and OMG made a mistake...

Yeah, getting the package addressed to 1234 into the box with 1234 on it is SO demanding. OMG...the stress!!!  HOW CAN THEY EVEN COPE ON A DAILY BASIS???   OMG !!! OMG !!!

See...I wouldn't be such a hardarr about this stuff if I didn't have to deal with it MULTIPLE TIMES A WEEK, sometimes MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY.

It gets real old trying to make a living and being FORCED to compensate for rampant incompetence...or just not giving a damm...CONSTANTLY, in order to accomplish ANYTHING.

This past week my wife found a package in our mailbox addressed to same house number but one street over. Easy enuf just to bring it there on her next trip out, had to pass the house anyway.

Our HOA also publishes a list of phones and emails. Your listing is what you choose to provide. Comes in handy. 

My irk of the day is pretty first world... with all the hand sanitizer, my hands get pretty dry. Right now the finger I use to unlock my phone is peeling and the phone can’t read my finger print!  Argh!

42 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

This past week my wife found a package in our mailbox addressed to same house number but one street over. Easy enuf just to bring it there on her next trip out, had to pass the house anyway.

Our HOA also publishes a list of phones and emails. Your listing is what you choose to provide. Comes in handy. 

My irk of the day is pretty first world... with all the hand sanitizer, my hands get pretty dry. Right now the finger I use to unlock my phone is peeling and the phone can’t read my finger print!  Argh!

OMG Tom!  That is a 1st world problem!  It is just so very difficult to swipe the unlock code, instead of the fingerprint verification, isn't it!?  Terrible! :D

Try unlocking the iPhone which uses face recognition while wearing a mask!! More 1st world problems! :D

On 12/12/2020 at 11:57 PM, peteski said:

OMG Tom!  That is a 1st world problem!  It is just so very difficult to swipe the unlock code, instead of the fingerprint verification, isn't it!?  Terrible! :D

Try unlocking the iPhone which uses face recognition while wearing a mask!! More 1st world problems! :D

I've been saying to my wife since March that I'm surprised Apple didn't add an iOS update that could compensate for a mask being worn whilst out in public and still allow the phone to be unlocked by the right person (but not the wrong person).

3 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I've been saying to my wife since March that I'm surprised Apple didn't add an iOS update that could compensate for a mask being worn whilst out in public and still allow the phone to be unlocked by the right person (but not the wrong person).

LOL, no kidding!  The algorithm depends on identifying positions of facial features, and mask hides few of them. I don't think even Apple is that good (unless they have a camera that sees through opaque materials. But if they did have such a camera, it could be used for more than just facial recognition through a mask. It would be very, very popular, especially with guys!  ;)

d7605bd1e50ddb86bfbec0df1beaa7a2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

The Post Office is stressing me out. I pay Priority shipping and they take weeks to deliver or lose a model so that people get mad at me.

I here ya man. Been dealing with this myself for weeks now.... the goof up was my fault though, so it’s on me, but the postal service and all the delivery services are swamped for the holidays. I’m getting 2 week delays on the tracker. 

Edited by bismarck

I'm a bit further Northeast (?) from you (Boston area), and we are supposed to get slammed overnight and all day Thursday. Possible 18" or more.  At least in my area it is supposed to be fluffy, not the unmovable cement-like snow we have been getting lately.

Edited by peteski

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I'm a bit further Northeast (?) from you (Boston area), and we are supposed to get slammed overnight and all day Thursday. Possible 18" or more.  At least in my area it is supposed to be fluffy, not the unmovable cement-like snow we have been getting lately.

Yea,just have to wait and see,I guess.My fun in the snow ended a long time,now it’s just a hassle.Lol❄️☃️☹️??

The storms that are hitting everyone in the North East passed to the north and south of us here in the KC area. We need some of that moisture as we're almost to a drought status. Monday, the first day of winter, we're supposed to have a high of 66 degrees.