Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

I am really irked by something I just found out about this week. Nothing to do with model building at all fellow readers of this column. My wife and I had two doctors appointments this past week at a local hospital. While checking out at my wife's doctor we saw a sign posted asking people to please be courteous enough to call them ahead of time if they were not going to be able to keep their appointments. The reason????? That office had experienced nearly 200(!!) occasions in just December of 2010 for people simply not keeping their appointments and not calling their office to let them know in advance. Reallly...I mean that is simply rude. AT my appointment the following day I asked them about their experience with that same thing and they told me theirs was the same way...right about 200 every month! Simply unbelievableto me that people are that inconsiderate.

2 hours ago, GRiN said:

Try Minnesota some winter. Not to bad right now but teens below for overnight by midweek. Thank God for auto-start. As you get older you look for as much help from the cold as you can get.Gary

The days that I hate the most here are when it’s about 25F, but the wind is ripping along at about 45 mph with gusts of 60+. Happens all the time in the winter here!🙁

Well the other shoe is about to fall. We are going to have sunshine on Super Bowl Sunday and a high of 0. The overnight low on Saturday is going to be -10 to-15 then add in the wind chill. I have keep asking myself why I still live here? Because everywhere else would be boring. If I didn't need to work I would grow wings and fly south. Gary

I watched the local council bin men destroy my neighbours and mine wheelie bins (the bin lorry obviously needs some adjustment cos the bins are getting smashed off the ground). They put tags on them to call for a replacement and when I did I was told I would have to pay for a new one. I have now put in a complaint and contacted my councilors as it wasn't me that wrecked the bins so why should I have to pay for a new one when there is every chance the same thing will happen again. If it was my fault it got wrecked i would pay it. I've already been told the bin must be getting blown about when empty but that just isn't possible as we have them tied to the fence to stop that and invited them to come see for themselves. Hopefully it will bring a change to the rules that benefits everyone

I'm sure you have better things to do during the day, but try and film the operation of when your bin is picked up. I have seen the driver from the trash company our city uses do all sorts of strange things with the bin when they're done emptying them. They will slam them on our driveway to see how high they will bounce, or use the gripper device to through the bin to see how far he could get it to go up our drive. Some of these guys are pretty talented in what they can do with these things. The point is the collector of the trash maybe the one damaging the bins and they should be the ones paying to replace them. 

1 hour ago, espo said:

I'm sure you have better things to do during the day, but try and film the operation of when your bin is picked up. I have seen the driver from the trash company our city uses do all sorts of strange things with the bin when they're done emptying them. They will slam them on our driveway to see how high they will bounce, or use the gripper device to through the bin to see how far he could get it to go up our drive. Some of these guys are pretty talented in what they can do with these things. The point is the collector of the trash maybe the one damaging the bins and they should be the ones paying to replace them. 

I will be filming it. As I said to my councilors why should I pay for a new bin when theres every chance the same thing will happen again. I really think they made a mistake with the bins they got as the recycling bins that are a couple of inches shorter never get damaged on the same truck. I made sure they know I will refuse to pay for a new one anyway and suggested they provide a large trade size wheelie bin instead of what we have. Theres 18 absolutelly stinking bins outside my block when one large bin would hold the same amount and take up less space

windshield.jpg.a741b743705f819a6b16de361b4dafc3.jpg

Yea, I had a sucky day!  I haven't left the house for  a week.  I go to an appointment and got my windshield smashed.

I was on the PA Turnpike and a huge chunk of ice came flying over the median.. a truck going the opposite direction!

I will have to check and see if my insurance covers anything in the morning.  Did I say it sucks?  

If you have glass coverage, you shouldn't have to shell out a nickel for a new windshield.  Glass coverage costs very little, but it's one of those things that isn't brought up all of the time because it isn't a big money maker for the agent.  I've had it on every vehicle I have owned (six), and of those, three have had the windshield replaced at least once.  One car had the rear glass replaced.  I have paid for glass twice.  One was to replace the side glass in a truck cap (not covered because it was not original to the truck) and one windshield that had a wiper scratch in it before I bought the car.  I could probably have put a crack in it and gamed the system, but I don't operate that way.

10 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Mark.. I never heard of specific glass coverage. This car has State Farm collision and comprehensive. I will call my agent tomorrow to see if anything is covered. 

Tom, 

Glass damage will probably be covered under your comprehensive coverage . . . unless your SF policy excludes it.  If it's covered, it will cost you whatever your deductible is.

Having said that, I'm no expert on PA policies. Every state is unique (different laws) and most insurance companies have their own philosophy within every state. Check the language of your policy . . . it will be clearly spelled out, or, see what your agent tells you.

Your mileage may vary. 

🌵😎

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

A few years ago My wife had a cracked windshield on her Focus. She found a place that replaced the window and gave her 75.00 cash. Insurance paid for the window.

Ray,

That's called an "incentive" in Arizona. In 46 other states it's called a kickback and is illegal. Arizona is one of only two (2) states that requires insurance companies to provide free (zero deductible) glass replacement. In the other 48 states  glass replacement falls under comprehensive coverage and a deductible applies.  Most motorists select comprehensive deductibles that are nearly as high as, if not higher, than the cost of a windshield. As a result, glass replacement vendors can't attract as much business as the ones in states like AZ, so they don't do it.

In AZ, because glass replacement coverage is zero deductible (free), vehicle owners don't have any skin in the game. As a result, an AZ windshield will cost an insurance company 4 or 5 times what it would cost that insurance company in another state. That's why the glass replacement vendors can offer kickbacks to customers - they're trying to attract customers away from other glass replacement vendors. They still make big $$.

I've seen many "consumers" who've replaced windshields 4 or 5 times a year. Why not? It's free. Right? And they give you money to do it.

By the way, the average AZ kickback, er, incentive is $150 . . . as high as $200.  The wife should have looked further. Might've gotten more model money. LOL.

PS: Insurance paid for the window and the incentive and the vendor's profit.  But, you (and we) paid for the insurance . . . and it is priced to accommodate the inordinately expensive cost of doing business in AZ, including the glass situation.  

PPS: And, those glass replacement claims are recorded forever on your claims history. They will factor into future premiums as well as the higher base rate for AZ.

And make no mistake, Ray, I'm not scolding . . . just informing. Those who should be scolded include the glass replacement vendors, their lobbyists, and our state legislators. They created the situation. 

🌵😎

Edited by Danno