Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

14 hours ago, slusher said:

My Mother in law of almost 28 years died this morning from cancer. She loved life and raised 3 children and a ministers wife and they did that for free. She turned 73 Jan 31.   She said she never thought her life would end like this. She starved to death as the cancer covers her organs...

Very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers to you and your wife and your family.  

10 hours ago, cobraman said:

So sorry to read this Carl.  Stay strong buddy .

8 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Sorry to hear of your loss Carl.

5 hours ago, espo said:

Very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers to you and your wife and your family.  

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Condolences to you and your family Carl!

5 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

I lost my mother just around 6 years ago to cancer.She only lasted about two months after being diagnosed.She was in hospice already when she passed away.I can’t believe it’s been 6 years.But my condolences to you and your family on your loss.

Thank you gentlemen..

Guess it's my own fault for not paying close enough attention. Bought the 1/16th scale Petty Charger thinking it had the clear body but it's the light blue version. Built this as a kid and debated about getting it and reliving the past but now I'm really disappointed. The box art threw me as it looks exactly as before.

Woke this morning to the sound of running water.  At first it sounded like my wife had flushed the toilet downstairs, but it went on too long.  I got up to investigate... thought the upstairs toilet was running and I could jiggle the handle.  Walked into water on the floor. Not good.  Of course the toilet valve shut off was frozen so I ran down two sets of stairs to the basement in my underwear to shut off the main water valve.   Mopped the floor of standing water and then stopped to have my coffee while everything dried out.

Went back and I was able to unstick the valve handle and shut it off.  Turned on the water again and no leak. I can see the start of the leak at the connection from the valve to the toilet tube.  It's old and copper.  So I should be able to just replace that with a new flexible line.  Crisis averted.   And thankfully I was close by when it started!  

Something that irks me, and may have been mentioned before, is when someone posts a well-detailed build or one with interesting parts. Then a member asks about something on that build, i.e. where did you get those wheels, or which muffler oil did you use and the original builder does not have the courtesy to answer the question. May be a minor issue but it does irk me.

2 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Something that irks me, and may have been mentioned before, is when someone posts a well-detailed build or one with interesting parts. Then a member asks about something on that build, i.e. where did you get those wheels, or which muffler oil did you use and the original builder does not have the courtesy to answer the question. May be a minor issue but it does irk me.

And then there's the much more common occurrence where "someone posts a well-detailed build or one with interesting parts. Then a member asks about something on that build, i.e. where did you get those wheels, or which muffler oil did you use", all of which were addressed by the builder, but the person asking the question is just too lazy to read through the copy.

4 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

I agree with you but most will reply..

6 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

My irk is when the model builder has given a nice write up and people ask questions that were covered in the write up! 

I cringe ever time someone uses "dizzy" as a word to describe a "distributor". Really?!  If you are dizzy, lay down and take some pills until that sick feeling  passes.  :wacko:

Could this be some regional term, or someone just trying to be cute (and failing miserably).

Edited by peteski

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It’s an Aussie thing Pete! No shrimp from the Barbie for you!

LOL.  They don't eat shrimp down there - they eat prawns. ;)

But "prawn from the barbie" just doesn't 'have the same ring to it, doesn't it? We are silly Americans. :P

Edited by peteski

6 hours ago, peteski said:

LOL.  They don't eat shrimp down there - they eat prawns. ;)

Many years ago I was in Cincinnati walking around town and there was a Chinese restaurant with a sign out front “Prawn Dinner Special”. I wondered how many folks in Cincinnati knew what a prawn was!

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Many years ago I was in Cincinnati walking around town and there was a Chinese restaurant with a sign out front “Prawn Dinner Special”. I wondered how many folks in Cincinnati knew what a prawn was!

More importantly, how many prawns go in there for dinner?  😲  [Rimshot.]

🌵😎

The County Outdoor Warning sirens were temporarily activated this morning (around 9a) as a result of an operator error during routine training. The sirens were briefly activated for several seconds this morning before being canceled.  Even the local news had no idea what was going and it took 20 minutes before even they found out it was an error.

Good system but I would think the system would have higher security than "hit that red button on the console".  And they wonder why people ignore warnings.....

Opened up a brand new spray can of Model Master paint. It's probably a few years old but I've tapped other cans that old without a problem.

Nothing came out. Tried another nozzle and nothing came out until finally a bit of spittle not resembling paint came out. Entire can wasted.

I have a buddy that has several years old cans of various brands and they've worked fine. Hopefully this is a one-off deal for me.

Finally got out of the hospital last night after a week, turns out I was in full blown sepsis and now have to carry an injection pump for the antibiotics to fully kill the MRSA I went in with and will have it until around April 9th. The kick in the teeth, the insurance my employer switched to this season is refusing to pay for it as they don’t consider it the right type of preventative care. Now it’s not like I cheaped out, I’ve maxed out what I can get through work, but unless I can get financial aid to help with this, it’s going to run me about $40k out of pocket on this alone......I have no idea what else they’ll refuse to pay for for the actual hospital stay and ER.  The lady I was talking with in the hospital’s billing department was actually kinda angry with this, especially after telling her I was getting the best coverage offered through work right now!

My father got a post card from the bottom feeder "Doctor" that would come to the nursing home to charge $50/person to cut their toe nails.  Dad passed FOUR years ago.

The record stands with my former home's owner who was getting solicitations for $$ ten years after she passed.  I would send things back she moved a new address and gave them the address to the cemetery.