Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

11 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Some of the very worst snowstorms we've ever had around here have been in March. And even one I can remember in April!

One year we had a horrific March snow. The city had to pile up snow everywhere they could, including parks and playgrounds. I lived across the street from a park where they had the snow piled up higher than my 2-story (plus attic) house! When we moved out in June there was STILL six inches of snow on the ground across the street! :blink:

Dang!

Hmm, Styrenestan ... that must be a long way from here🤔

I'm getting irked about History Channel's insistence on 3-Ding EVERY still photo they show. Not bad enough to colorize old B&Ws, now they have to 3D all pictures too. They even do it with paintings! What's the point? Is our collective attention span now so low we can't look at a static image for 3 or 4 whole seconds without it having to "move"? Annoying! :angry:

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

... Is our collective attention span now so low we can't look at a static image for 3 or 4 whole seconds without it having to "move"? 

Yes.

Reported in Time, 2016:

"The average attention span for the notoriously ill-focused goldfish is nine seconds, but according to a new study from Microsoft Corp., people now generally lose concentration after eight seconds, highlighting the affects of an increasingly digitalized lifestyle on the brain.

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'm getting irked about History Channel's insistence on 3-Ding EVERY still photo they show. Not bad enough to colorize old B&Ws, now they have to 3D all pictures too. They even do it with paintings! What's the point? Is our collective attention span now so low we can't look at a static image for 3 or 4 whole seconds without it having to "move"? Annoying! :angry:

I know exactly what you mean (the slow panning), and I also find it annoying and unnecessary.  While I don't watch the history channel, this type of thing is done in many PBS documentaries.  What is also annoying is the constant background musical score. Sometimes it is so loud you can barely understand the narration.  To me silence (with just narration) would be golden.

I guess this means we're getting old.  Every new generation has to do things differently (just look at all the crazy bulbous distorted logos, and even coin faces designs they create), and I guess the need everything to move and make noise.  Grumble, grumble!

So glad to see I'm not the only one irked by what you've pointed out. Been complaining about this for years. Just ask my poor wife who is irked with me yelling about it.

Another thing is what I call "flash, flash, flash" when promoting upcoming shows or most anything for that matter. It's a constant barrage of scenes that are done so fast that you can't focus on what you're seeing. I don't know if they think that's exciting but it just annoys the heck out of me. Why can't they just show one scene? I guess it goes back to that attention span thing.

I got the MX-5 out today, took it to the carwash and asked the wife if she wanted to go for a ride (YES!). After a while I noticed the heel on my clutch foot was getting hung up....I figured maybe the sole of my shoe was peeling?  After a while I reached down to see what I could determine. Well, likely at the carwash I must have stepped in somebody’s used chewing gum, and it was now smeared all over my heel and the floor mat....Yuck!🤬🤬 Luckily I have Weather tech floor mats in there and not carpeted ones. A good scraping and some laquer thinner managed to clean it up fairly well.

10 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

... somebody’s used chewing gum....

For perhaps 3 decades now, it has irked me to see blackened little flat domes of chewing gum on the sidewalk entranceways for stores, where the gum is with a 15 foot or so radius away from the trash barrels at each side of the doors.

I'm no closer on getting my taxes done. 

The good news is, I finally got my 1099-G, so I know how much money I made in 2020. I stopped at the tax place booth at Walmart and asked if they had tax forms. The nice lady told me they didn't (or she wouldn't give me any), but told me to wait as long as possible. (The federal deadline has been moved back a month.) Apparently my state either just has or is about to make all unemployment for 2020 and 2021 non-taxable, but they don't have the forms or instructions for it finalized yet. She recommended I do my taxes online (as late as possible) using free software from either Turbo Tax or H&R Block. Hmmmmmm......:wacko:

18 hours ago, slusher said:

Found out yesterday from my Neurologist that I need to go and get a light weight wheelchair due to my legs getting worse. Same doctor I have seeen for 30 years. I have been blessed I made it this long..

Hang in there. Remember you can always put some playing card in the spokes. Not trying to be smart, just trying to suggest something to lighten the mood    

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

My sincere best wishes for you going into the future.

It takes a tremendous amount of courage to deal with what you have to, day in, day out.

You should be an inspiration to all of us.

Thank you Bill, friends. On the forum here and my family help. My number source is my faith.  I admire many men on this form.

Batteries! I was rummaging through all my open boxes looking for a good donor battery. What’s with these things? These are all from 1/25th scale AMT kits. L-R...’69 Mach One, ‘55 Cameo p/u, and ‘56 T-Bird. The middle one is the best scale, but the detail is only so-so. I haven’t found anything better in the Revell kits...some are even moulded in place lumps! 🤨

24782DD1-B0D0-4F04-8F8C-141699F14073.jpeg

Edited by NOBLNG

I got outbid and lost in a ebay auction for a Mini Exotics Daytona Super Coupe Cobra. They don't come up too often. Oh well, win some loose one. Winning bid was like only 2 bucks higher than my max but there is no telling how high the winner was prepared to go. Sniper hiding in the trees ! 😀

17 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Winning bid was like only 2 bucks higher than my max but there is no telling how high the winner was prepared to go.

It always sucks to be #2 but as you say, there's no way of knowing if #1 would have gone to another whole decimal place! B)