Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

9 hours ago, Rodent said:

Dude, aren't you like 6' 5" or something? Not exactly built for underdash work. 

6"6"!

And yes, working under the dash is going to be most uncomfortable! The last time I had to do major interior work on something, I just pulled the front seats to give me some room.

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

6"6"!

And yes, working under the dash is going to be most uncomfortable! The last time I had to do major interior work on something, I just pulled the front seats to give me some room.

Pulling the seats sounds like a good idea!

39 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

It is not even 1:30pm and it is already 112. deg.in Bakersfield.

Ugh!

Not sure what it will be at 5.........

(P.S., Bob Taber in Oroville, I hope you are not as hot as we are!)

We're at 106f right now our peak will be 112f. Next two days will be a few degrees cooler but still in hundreds. Hope you are managing to stay cool.

I'm now going to be spending much of my free time caring for a family friend who is crippled with dementia. Most of his own family are doing nothing so its been left to me, my mum, my sister and my aunt to spend 24hrs a day with him. Me and my sister have jobs that entail long hours yet we are expected to look after him while they sit on their fat you knpw whats waiting for an inheritance. I dont mind doing something to help but i want to have them do their share. I've already spent 2 years looking after my grand aunt and another 6 years caring for my gran who both had dementia also. I dont see why I am expected to give up my life again when they aren't. I sound like i dont care but i do, its just he's not family and i've done my share already and its someone elses turn now. when i was caring for my gran i was in and out of my bed multiple time through the night so didn't get a lot of sleep and i did that for 5 years. I've done a couple of nights looking after him already and its just the same and selfish as it sounds i just dont want to do it again. I think its harder this time as he is failing so quickly and its much more physical with him, his walking is nearly finished and he has no idea of where he is at any time. and being male going to the toilet is much more difficult as it is nearly impossible to get him to sit so I've had to do things I never thought I would do. this is the guy i learned to rebuild starters and alternators from so he's always been someone i have a lot of respect for and he's always been the first to help anyone with anything so it really hurts to see most of his family abandonning him when hes done so much for them.

• Sad 1

First, for Bob & Steve, official High was 117 yesterday. About the highest I've ever seen in Bakersfield in 40 years.

Second, For Les. I feel for you, Sir. I have been there and done some of that myself. We have finally had to back away completely and hand it over to the Local Elder Care authorities. I no longer have the resources (physical or financial) to care for others, who are not family. I applaud you taking on the job. I know that you will do it to the best of your ability.

If there is any emotional support I can give you, don't hesitate to PM me, or email.

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

I'm now going to be spending much of my free time caring for a family friend who is crippled with dementia. Most of his own family are doing nothing so its been left to me, my mum, my sister and my aunt to spend 24hrs a day with him. Me and my sister have jobs that entail long hours yet we are expected to look after him while they sit on their fat you knpw whats waiting for an inheritance. I dont mind doing something to help but i want to have them do their share. I've already spent 2 years looking after my grand aunt and another 6 years caring for my gran who both had dementia also. I dont see why I am expected to give up my life again when they aren't. I sound like i dont care but i do, its just he's not family and i've done my share already and its someone elses turn now. when i was caring for my gran i was in and out of my bed multiple time through the night so didn't get a lot of sleep and i did that for 5 years. I've done a couple of nights looking after him already and its just the same and selfish as it sounds i just dont want to do it again. I think its harder this time as he is failing so quickly and its much more physical with him, his walking is nearly finished and he has no idea of where he is at any time. and being male going to the toilet is much more difficult as it is nearly impossible to get him to sit so I've had to do things I never thought I would do. this is the guy i learned to rebuild starters and alternators from so he's always been someone i have a lot of respect for and he's always been the first to help anyone with anything so it really hurts to see most of his family abandonning him when hes done so much for them.

A friend sticks closer then a brother the good book says.   God bless brother…

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:52 AM, bobthehobbyguy said:

Although it is going to be cooling down some in the next few days it didn't cool down much overnight. Overnight temperatures didn't get below 80f and today is expected to be 109F.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:16 AM, stavanzer said:

7am, and 88 deg already.

'nother Scorcher today!

I feel for everyone out there!!

Aaaaand back to USPS. Every time I look at package tracking and see "Ybor City Distribution Center" I cringe because it then turns into a huge crapshoot as to where it's going next and when. This time a package sat at Ybor for two days and has now vanished off the face of the earth. This only happens with expensive things... the $8 craft sticks I ordered from Amazon showed up on time but the $500 limited-edition Seiko watch is now in postal limbo. 

40 minutes ago, jaymcminn said:

Aaaaand back to USPS. Every time I look at package tracking and see "Ybor City Distribution Center" I cringe because it then turns into a huge crapshoot as to where it's going next and when. This time a package sat at Ybor for two days and has now vanished off the face of the earth. This only happens with expensive things... the $8 craft sticks I ordered from Amazon showed up on time but the $500 limited-edition Seiko watch is now in postal limbo. 

I wonder if they have a klepto working there?🤔

So the excessive heat has ended and we're back to more tolerable temperatures.  However our air quality is hazardous due to smoke from a fire. Argh!!!!

Was hoping to get some  much needed yard work done. I also understand now that Southern  California is going to be dealing with flash floods due to a tropical storm. Enough of this crazy weather.

my wife got a letter from the dmv that her license is going to be suspended for not having insurance on a car we sold 5 months ago and was removed from our policy.  apparently they are now enforcing the plate return when you sell a car. previously if you didnt pay to renew it would just expire and thats it. i turned the plates in today and we have to send proof of the day we traded in the car by mail, fax and email (all three they suggested).   i was the 4th or 5th person that was in line for this at 8am

im waiting for my letter because i got a new car in april and havent turned in the plates.

i guess i will turn in my plates next weekend before i get my letter

Edited by MrMiles

10 minutes ago, cobraman said:

...I never seem to be able to get the doors to work right on just about any model. I'm sure it's me.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Most operating features on models aren't really very well engineered, and manufacturing limitations often preclude the kits coming with precisely-operating hinges, and panels that fit their openings closely.

• Like 1