Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

NAPA is ripping us off (more than ever?).  Last month got a quart of Castrol oil for $8.50.  Today it's $10+ so I didn't get it.  I try to avoid ChinaMart but it was $6.28.  They also had hydrogen peroxide, CVS didn't because it was recalled.   Zero % inflation, right...... 😠

5 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

'Bout the only use I've had for NAPA in some time was 'cause many parts in their "Echlin" electrical line seemed to be of superior quality to a lot of aftermarket stuff.

Likewise. Better quality then Autozone or Advance garbage.

The modem and router crapped the bed. Had no wi-fI, Internet, or phone. Called my cable provider tech support and told me to exchange for a new ones. Drove across town got replacement modem and router. Got home and set everything up. Still no phone, wi fI, or internet. Another phone call to tech support. They told us they have to be activated and run updates remotely.  Wut?????

Once that’s done, we’re all good! 

14 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

NAPA is ripping us off (more than ever?).  Last month got a quart of Castrol oil for $8.50.  Today it's $10+ so I didn't get it.  I try to avoid ChinaMart but it was $6.28.  They also had hydrogen peroxide, CVS didn't because it was recalled.   Zero % inflation, right...... 😠

According to my wife Walmart is really getting us on most stuff now..

• Like 1

This has been the nastiest, wettest, buggiest, rustiest, most mildew and fungus infested summer since I first came here in 1969.

Not only have the daytime highs been mostly in the mid-to high 90s, the shop temps have been consistently hovering at 100+ in the afternoons, with the humidity typically in the 90s too.

Yech. I sure am glad I'm going to the desert. I won't miss this awful swamp-like environment one little bit.

Spent most of the day on my roof, patching leaks, 'cause we have another forecast for heavy rains over the next several days, and the unrelenting wetness has caused more deterioration than I'd expected prior to vacating.

Did I say how much I HATE it here now?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY

Not so much an irk, and maybe TMI, but....

Was fairly hot here today, but I went for about a 4 mile walk anyway. Got home, A/C was cranked, but I peeled off my shirt and started making some food. Making some semi-prepared stuff that needed some microwave time and 20 minutes in a 375 oven. No prob, I put a small cookie sheet in the oven and heated it when the oven was preheating. Microwave time was done, I opened the oven door and grabbed the cookie sheet with a single potholder. For some stupid reason, it rotated around between my right thumb and first two fingers and the corner of the 375 degree cookie sheet stopped when it contacted my right nipple. Yes, it hurt. Still hurts. Probably won't be sleeping on my stomach tonight.

17 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Was fairly hot here today, but I went for about a 4 mile walk anyway. Got home, A/C was cranked, but I peeled off my shirt and started making some food. Making some semi-prepared stuff that needed some microwave time and 20 minutes in a 375 oven. No prob, I put a small cookie sheet in the oven and heated it when the oven was preheating. Microwave time was done, I opened the oven door and grabbed the cookie sheet with a single potholder. For some stupid reason, it rotated around between my right thumb and first two fingers and the corner of the 375 degree cookie sheet stopped when it contacted my right nipple. Yes, it hurt. Still hurts. Probably won't be sleeping on my stomach tonight.

Man, Steve that had to be painful!

10 hours ago, Rodent said:

Sounds like a scene in a Ben Stiller movie. Maybe you can sell it to Hollywood. :lol:

Again,Still hot as hell and the drought here in NY continues.My water bill this summer has been through the roof.But now we have official water restriction mandates ,so I must watch my watering.🥵🥵.Ah what are ya gonna do.Summer is almost over.And from what i’ve been seeing on the tv,I know most of Europe,and China have also been in a severe drought.The only cool thing is that with the drought,there has been things that were hidden under water,such as sunken boats,and even what some are calling prehistoric fossils are showing up all over the place.

Not "irked" so much as just having a hard time understanding. Some adults have a whole helluva lot to be thankful for, especially in this country, yet they seem to WANT to focus on negativity, and whine almost constantly about what's "wrong" rather than trying to be appreciative of what they have.

Sure, it helps to blow off steam sometimes, to complain a little...like right here...but to just stew in misery doesn't make any sense to me.

And yeah, there's certainly a lot fubarred in the world. Focusing on it can sap your energy and even your desire to keep on going. Things go bad in our own lives too. Horrible things. There's illness, loss of loved ones, all of that. Life can be cruel. I get it. I've lived long enough to have experienced "tragedy", and sadness I'll carry forever.

But I've found over the years that making a conscious effort to count my blessings, so to speak, daily...or whenever I'm having a bad day, goes a long way to alleviate the effects of external stressors. And I have a wide variety of hobbies and interests that create diversions from thinking constantly about problems. So I can't really fathom any tendency to just sit on one's butt feeling sorry for oneself.

Worry and whining accomplish absolutely nothing, other than to make worse whatever the source of the unease is, and give it power to ruin your time here.

And with every passing day, I'm more aware of how short our time here really is, and that I'd prefer to spend the rest of mine enjoying this beautiful planet, and all the gifts I've been given. Even on the worst of days, there's still plenty to be thankful for...and plenty to DO.

Sermon ends.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
CLARITY
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was a good "sermon". I'm always aware of how many people have things worse than I do whenever I start feeling down about some things. I also take time to smell the roses as the saying goes.

This actually belongs in what pleases me but it doesn't hurt to make this spot a bit better.

• Like 1

As Bill has pointed out, many don't fully grasp how good we have it. I have been watching a program on NPR TV called "Who do you think you are".  They take someone, usually and actor, and explore their family tree going back several generations. The striking thing to me is seeing what people went through just trying to make ends meet and all too often what they did without compared to our lives today. By in large we are a bunch of light weights that wouldn't last a day in their world. 

• Like 2

Round2 is my peeve of the MONTH!!!!!!!!!!! I bought a Transtar 4070 a that had a short shot left side frame rail (Driver Side) which is part #49. I contacted Round 2 giving them all the needed info to get a replacement part. But for the THIRD time in a row they have sent me the RIGHT (PASSENGER SIDE frame rail) Part #7 This is even after I sent photo's of the parts that was sent and I took the pictures with the instruction sheet of the part that I need replaced! First set of photo's were sent before I got the third wrong part today which I just sent pictures of back to them today! What am I going to do with three right side frame rail's?????????????????

I Got an email Back from them today that say's they were sending me the part that I asked for, and that the Instructions are wrong for the part numbers! Odd Those are copied from the Original 1973 Model kit, so Round2 must have switched the part numbers when they moved the parts to different trees when they made this New "re"Issue 4070 A......

DSC06925.JPG

DSC06926.JPG

DSC06927.JPG

DSC06928.JPG

DSC06929.JPG

Edited by ranma

I was doing some paint detailing on the trunk trim on a build I'm working on. I was sure the lid was screwed back on tight on the Tamiya Panel Line bottle. I went to put the bottle away and it slipped out of my hand and the top wasn't on as I thought. Spilled half a bottle of the panel line paint on my work surface, part of the chassis I was working on, the rear leaf springs and shocks, the rear slicks, and a few other small parts laying on the surface. I use a plastic kitchen style cutting board for a work surface, so it caught most of the runoff as it has a little trough running around the outer edge. The obscenities ensued; my wife called down to see if she needed to call an ambulance since she was sure I had somehow injured myself. I assured I would live but that I would be unpleasant to be around till I got everything cleaned up.