Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

19 hours ago, Pete J. said:

My cousin in Montana posted this the other day!  First off, How the heck did that get it up there.  Second, the snowmobile is worth far more than the car.  Last - Get a trailer man!

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Just drive it up and over the trunk, no problem. 

19 hours ago, Pete J. said:

My cousin in Montana posted this the other day!  First off, How the heck did that get it up there.  Second, the snowmobile is worth far more than the car.  Last - Get a trailer man!

Long track, tall handlebars, no windshield and paddles on the track. I'm going to say that is used for sand drags or water crossing. I'm not talking about the car, lol. 

Last night I saw this very clean Ford Taunus at a gas station while we stopped there for a cup of coffee. These things were quite popular back in the day, but nowadays it's pretty rare to see one in this great condition.

P2027708.JPG?img=medium

P2027709.JPG?img=medium

Weather getting a bit better...was out and about this morning and saw a grubby, dented salt-encrusted red Tesla Model S coming out of the McDonalds drive thru...funny to see a Tesla driven like any other winter beater.   The rear bumper fascia was cracked. 

• 2 weeks later...

We were coming home from Columbus,Oh yesterday north on I33 and got passed by a lifted pickup pulling the strangest trailer I ever saw. The trailer was about 20' long,divided into two length wise sections.The upper sides,roof and central divider were covered in heavy steel mesh. The floor and font wall were wooden. What first caught my eye as he blew by running at least 80 mph were the two rather crude large targets drawn on the inside of those wooden walls. I said to myselfelf "that's a little odd". The explanation for all of this oddness was the "Mobile Axe Throwing" sign hanging from the rear end. Really ?? Who thinks up stuff like that? Sorry but no photo as he was gone in a flash. At 80 within 10 miles of an Ohio Highway Patrol post he was really asking for a nice fat speeding ticket.

Edited by misterNNL
Forgotten word

On 2/2/2019 at 6:25 AM, W-409 said:

Last night I saw this very clean Ford Taunus at a gas station while we stopped there for a cup of coffee. These things were quite popular back in the day, but nowadays it's pretty rare to see one in this great condition.

P2027708.JPG?img=medium

That was the current Ford when I lived in Germany 1969-72.  They were all over the place!  When my grandparents visited from the USA, my grandfather rented a red one.

On 16.2.2019 at 5:20 PM, Tom Geiger said:

That was the current Ford when I lived in Germany 1969-72.  They were all over the place!  When my grandparents visited from the USA, my grandfather rented a red one.

I can imagine that :P ! Back then those were pretty common here in Finland as well. Nowadays they can be seen on the road from time to time,  but can't say that they would be very common anymore.

3 minutes ago, W-409 said:

I can imagine that :P ! Back then those were pretty common here in Finland as well. Nowadays they can be seen on the road from time to time,  but can't say that they would be very common anymore.

I'd love to have one here in the USA.  Just to take it to car shows and have people scratching their heads trying to figure out what it is!   :lol:

And I'm pretty sure that's exactly what would happen if one was parked in a car show in the States.:lol:  

It's funny how many times when I have posted a picture of some car that was pretty common around here back in the day, bunch of guys from USA are scratching their heads as they have never seen one. But, of course I understand that, since many of the cars were never sold to US market.

3 minutes ago, W-409 said:

It's funny how many times when I have posted a picture of some car that was pretty common around here back in the day, bunch of guys from USA are scratching their heads as they have never seen one. But, of course I understand that, since many of the cars were never sold to US market.

Except for me!  My father was US Army and we lived outside the USA from 1966-68 (Izmir, Turkey) and 1969-72 (Pirmasens, Germany).  I was a car guy since I was born, so I was very aware of the cars around me.  That has given me more of a passion for European cars than the average American.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:03 PM, Pete J. said:

Fourth, how does it stay up there? Look at those little tie down straps. 

Looks like North Dakota plates too...hope he wasn’t hauling it far...

24 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Fourth, how does it stay up there? Look at those little tie down straps. 

Looks like North Dakota plates too...hope he wasn’t hauling it far...

Didn't notice the plates, but wouldn't have recognized them anyway.  I don't live around there any more, but if they are, they have a long way to go.  The photo was taken in western Montana!

18 minutes ago, espo said:

I never noticed before, but since the renewed interest in this car I noticed the driver's rear tire and wheel. Is that a space saver spare or just what the stock wheel looks like with out the hub cap ? 

That is the type of wheel we mount snow tires to here.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:59 AM, landman said:

That is the type of wheel we mount snow tires to here.

I saw something interesting today on this subject. I was driving into the area were I live yesterday and there was a Buick model that looked just like the one in the picture. This was the first time I recall seeing one of these without Hub Caps or some type of Alloy Wheel. This car didn't have any Hub Caps on it and the wheels look just like this Buicks left rear, so there's that. So in view of how this owner has taken care of his fine ride a missing Hub Cap would be in keeping with his fastidious vehicle maintenance.  

Was discussing ordering Sprinters with my Mercedes fleet guy on Thursday. 

Then this thing rolls in to the dealership.

G63 AMG 6X6

Parked next to it is a similarly equipped G-wagen SUV. Both on US Consul plates.

These are selling for well over $500k US right now, with some over $1mil.

20190221_132354.thumb.jpg.d3059c8005aa9bbdd34e427fbd6269d6.jpg

20190221_132335.thumb.jpg.62ca950504f707f2117b8a84ad1b2fad.jpg